Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Accepted Job For Wrong Reasons
    I hired a woman approx. 2 months ago for a position in our very small company. Very Mom & Pop. We do not have a fancy phone system or database. We do many duplicate steps because we are not automated. I in no way believe that this way is the best way, but, for now, it's just the way it is. We are growing and experiencing growing pains. Because of this growth, we are encountering things for the first time and have no system in place.

I have come to realize, that perhaps, this woman accepted our job because she had been out of work for awhile. She is very negative, very abrasive and does the job, but with the constant undertone of displeasure. While I feel badly for anyone who has been out of work, I can't have her in here being so negative. "Technically", she does the job but her displeasure about everything is apparent. I have tried to make adjustments to her job description as well as to the spreadsheets that we rely heavily upon.

What else could/should I do? Can I just flat out ask her if she's unhappy? She is very helpful and pleasant some of the time, while other times, not at all. She strikes me a nice person who has just had some rough times, but she has got to stop being so negative in the office.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:30 PM

Try talking with her. Possibly she does have some problem that is really eating at her during the daytime when certain situations arise. If she does her job well but just has the negatitive attitude at times, do give her a chance to change her ways. If, after your talk with her and her attitude does not change for the better in say a month, then show her the door and tell her that you're sorry, but this is a business and we need everyone to be on the same page mentally at all times.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 27, 2009, 03:09 PM

One tactic I use with these type of negative employees and we all have them, is to ask them how they would do it better?

When she complains say to her "Let's talk about this." I am getting the impression that you are unhappy with this process. I am open to ideas. Do you have a better soulution ?

If she does have an idea, listen and give her a chance to prove it will work. If it works you have a better system. If it does not work than say we have tried this.. it is not working we are going back to the old system.

Shirley
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 05:08 PM

Many employeees are considered "at will" employees and can be terminated for no cause, check your states employment laws to see if she is 'At will" Fish or cut bait, it is up to you but I have not seen people make significant changes in behavior because you sat them down. If you can live with her the way she is then keep her and try to talk to her but do not hold your breathe. If you look at her today and say to yourself that you can't tolerate this type of employee then terminate her.
    jdforward Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 07:41 PM
    This scenario is interesting to me because I am on the opposite side of the table at this very moment with my manager. I have been with the company for 2 years and have never really had an issue until my boss asked me one day if I was happy in my position? She also said she felt like she didn’t really know me and she was uncomfortable with me. I was pretty caught off guard I didn’t really know how to react. I didn’t really think I was giving off bad vibes nor did I particularly have any negative or awkward feelings about her, but after that day I grew to fear her and my job. I am extremely uncomfortable around her and so as a result I have sought to move to other departments but their hasn’t been much movement with the economy. She does say I am very efficient and a hard worker. What I want to know is what does my happiness have to do with my job?

My advice to you is I guess if everyone else feels the same way about the employee then you are probably not just imagining things. Eight months also seems like a very short time to already be so negative and dissatisfied with your job. On the flip side she may have some really difficult personal issues or perhaps she has some chronic pain and health issues you may not be aware of that make her a little more testy. You can’t ask her these types of questions (even though my boss did!), but you can offer her a chance to feel comfortable and open up to you. Start asking her what she likes about the job and what you could do to make her job better/easier. I defiantly wouldn’t do what my boss did and just jump right in and say I don’t think you’re happy. It’s just awkward, uncomfortable and will eventually lead to no good.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 07:55 PM

I agree with what most everyone else said. Communication is key. I remember once in a review at work, one of the comments was that my "repoir (sp?) had improved greatly." the comments in the review are anonymous and so I don't know what manager wrote it. But me and the manager giving me my review didn't understand it. He hadn't notice me ever not getting along with other employee's. And I certainly hadn't! But apparently someone thought there was a time I didn't get along with the rest of the employee's.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 07:57 PM
    A car with a broken muffler gets you to your destination, but does it with a whole lot of un-necessary noise.

Let this employee know that she CAN be replaced with a much quieter "model".

In times like these, those of us that are fortunate enough as to have a job at all, should consider ourselves blessed, and carry on with our mouths shut.

I don't care if your company still uses CARBON PAPER, as long as she is getting fair wages, she should not kill morale.

My daddy taught me a long time ago that when a man hires you to do a job for a dollar a day, you don't give him a dollar's worth of work, you give him a DAY'S work. Because you BOTH agreed on the dollar.

But that's just my opinion, and my "logic".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have been accepted but . [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been accepted to one the US's graduate institute. I was doing well in the process until my organization refused to pay for my first semester payment. The institution has awarded me of $ 15,600 already, but they expect me to pay the first semester payment be it from external or personal....

How do I know if tax return is accepted [ 1 Answers ]

Hello How do we know if tax return is accepted if we have file by paper (not electronically) and also I'm neither expecting refund nor do we owe any taxes Thanks

192.168.1.0/username not accepted [ 1 Answers ]

I am able to get to the "website" but when I enter the user (admin) it does not work. Any suggestions??

Contract not accepted [ 1 Answers ]

I am the buy of a home under a sales contract that has a contingency. I had to cancel the contract for other reasons but the seller is holding me to the contract. I noticed that I have signed the contract, but do not have a signed and accepted contract from the seller. The copy that the seller...

Apology not accepted [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have this guy that I recently met who became one of my good friends in a short period. He was nice and we got along together... I loved it. But then he told me he liked me and I didn't know how to handle that. You might say "oh, just tell him that you want him as a friend and blah, blah,...

View more questions Search