Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 20, 2009, 06:06 AM
    "No Scent" for Hunting
    Good Morning Adam, get your "No Scent" for Hunting yet?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    Good Morning Adam, get your "No Scent" for Hunting yet?
    I haven't got anything yet. I used these one type of military clothes before that had some kind of charcoal stuff in it that kept my scent away, I won't use them again, they ruin clothes. I am starting with all new stuff this year and going to see what works best. Any ideas?

Oct 20, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    I haven't got anything yet. I used these one type of military clothes before that had some kind of charcoal stuff in it that kept my scent away, I won't use them again, they ruin clothes. I am starting out with all new stuff this year and going to see what works best. Any ideas?
    Plenty, but I got to run right now, I'll have something in a few...

Oct 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
    I haven't got anything yet. I used these one type of military clothes before that had some kind of charcoal stuff in it that kept my scent away, I won't use them again, they ruin clothes. I am starting out with all new stuff this year and going to see what works best. Any ideas?
    I caught a while ago that your in Indiana? And deer starts on the Saturday after Veteran's, so that makes it 11-14-09, and that's 25 days from tomorrow...
    IndianaDNR: Fish & Wildlife Home

Ours always starts Monday after T-day here in Pa.

You can go one of two ways, a no scent or an attractant.
    The cover-up products hide your scent. The attractant covers your scent but also sends out an odor that brings in the deer.

It does help if you start clean when you head into the woods.

It's best to make sure your clothing is washed in baking soda, and non-scented laundry soap, and then packed in a plastic bag with a piece of the foliage or greenery that you found around your hunting site.

When you get ready to go out, take a shower and wash your body with non- hypoallergenic soap that should be unscented, and with baking soda as well. This helps neutralize any body odor that is on your clothing and on you.

Stay away from foods that have heavy odors - such as bacon or onions. Military sniper's will stop eating "american food" for two weeks, and stick with the native cuisine of the country their being shipped to.
    Do not fill up your gas tank in the morning so you don't have the lingering smell of gasoline on you.

Even though you and your clothing are clean and you are using an attracting scent, try to stay upwind of your quarry as much as you can. Remember that when the wind blows, it will blow your scent away.

Does your 12 gauge 'slug' gun have a rifled barrel? It will give you a better range and accuracy if it does.

Make sure you have your orange on, I wouldn't want to mistake you.
    Get to your spot early, and settle in. Stay quiet, and still as possible. No Smoking!

99% of the time the first deer anybody sees are doe.
    Wait till they pass, buck always follow behind

When your deer comes into range and you know that this is one you want to try for, take your time taking your shot. 
    No hunter should ever try shooting at a running animal.  All you will do is wound it and possibly lose it in the woods as it runs away.

Always wait for a shot you know you can make and try to aim for the heart and lung area of the chest.
    If the deer is facing slightly away from you - because you will hardly ever get a broadside shot - aim through the deer towards the opposite shoulder when you fire.

If you are not in a good position to hit the deer, don't shot.

It is better to have a good shot and take the deer down than to injure the deer and have it run away.

If the animal drops on the first shot, reload your weapon before approaching it because if may not be dead. You may have to shoot again, what's called a finishing shot, to completely kill the deer.

If the animal runs off, stay where you are for about thirty minutes before searching for a blood trail.

While I won't go over tracking a wounded deer, it is your moral obligation to track down the deer you wounded and find the animal, killing it if it happens to still be alive. You do not want the animal to suffer.

Just in case you need to go out of State:
    USFWS - Fish and Wildlife Management Offices - State, Territorial, and Tribal

And in a lighter vein. Some urges are stronger than others:

Four friends spend weeks planning the perfect backwoods camping and fishing trip. Three days before the group is to leave, Steve's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going.

Steve's friends are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do?

Three days later the three friends get to the camping site only to find Steve sitting there enjoying an ice cold beer. The tent was set up, firewood gathered, ice chest full of beer, and a meal cooking on the fire, almost ready to eat.

"Damn man, how long you been here and how did you talk your wife into letting you go?"

"Well, I've been here since yesterday. Two nights ago I was sitting in my chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said 'guess who'?
    I pulled her hands off my face and she was wearing a brand new see-through nightie, and did she look great!
    She then took my hand and I followed her to our bedroom like a little puppy. The room had two dozen lit candles and rose petals all over. Soft music was playing, and on the bed she had handcuffs and ropes! She told me to tie and cuff her to the bed, and I did.

Then, with a devilish little grin on her face, she said 'do whatever you want.' with that sweet southern drawl of hers."

"Well, Here I am!"

Adam, if this keeps up the girls might kick us (me) out of here, and we'll have to find another forum.

Hi Jlo, Hi Red :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    I caught a while ago that your in Indiana? And deer starts on the Saturday after Veteran's, so that makes it 11-14-09, and that's 25 days from tomorrow....
    IndianaDNR: Fish & Wildlife Home

Ours always starts Monday after T-day here in Pa.

You can go one of two ways, a no scent or an attractant.
    The cover-up products hide your scent. The attractant covers your scent but also sends out an odor that brings in the deer.

It does help if you start out clean when you head into the woods.

It’s best to make sure your clothing is washed in baking soda, and non-scented laundry soap, and then packed in a plastic bag with a piece of the foliage or greenery that you found around your hunting site.

When you get ready to go out, take a shower and wash your body with non- hypoallergenic soap that should be unscented, and with baking soda as well. This helps neutralize any body odor that is on your clothing and on you.

Stay away from foods that have heavy odors - such as bacon or onions. Military sniper's will stop eating "american food" for two weeks, and stick with the native cuisine of the country their being shipped to.
    Do not fill up your gas tank in the morning so you don’t have the lingering smell of gasoline on you.

Even though you and your clothing are clean and you are using an attracting scent, try to stay upwind of your quarry as much as you can. Remember that when the wind blows, it will blow your scent away.

Does your 12 gauge ‘slug’ gun have a rifled barrel? It will give you a better range and accuracy if it does.

Make sure you have your orange on, I wouldn't want to mistake you.
    Get to your spot early, and settle in. Stay quiet, and still as possible. No Smoking!

99% of the time the first deer anybody sees are doe.
    Wait till they pass, buck always follow behind

When your deer comes into range and you know that this is one you want to try for, take your time taking your shot. 
    No hunter should ever try shooting at a running animal.  All you will do is wound it and possibly lose it in the woods as it runs away.

Always wait for a shot you know you can make and try to aim for the heart and lung area of the chest.
    If the deer is facing slightly away from you - because you will hardly ever get a broadside shot - aim through the deer towards the opposite shoulder when you fire.

If you are not in a good position to hit the deer, don’t shot.

It is better to have a good shot and take the deer down than to injure the deer and have it run away.

If the animal drops on the first shot, reload your weapon before approaching it because if may not be dead. You may have to shoot again, what’s called a finishing shot, to completely kill the deer.

If the animal runs off, stay where you are for about thirty minutes before searching for a blood trail.

While I won't go over tracking a wounded deer, it is your moral obligation to track down the deer you wounded and find the animal, killing it if it happens to still be alive. You do not want the animal to suffer.

Just in case you need to go out of State:
    USFWS - Fish and Wildlife Management Offices - State, Territorial, and Tribal

And in a lighter vein. Some urges are stronger than others:

Four friends spend weeks planning the perfect backwoods camping and fishing trip. Three days before the group is to leave, Steve's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going.

Steve's friends are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do?

Three days later the three friends get to the camping site only to find Steve sitting there enjoying an ice cold beer. The tent was set up, firewood gathered, ice chest full of beer, and a meal cooking on the fire, almost ready to eat.

"Damn man, how long you been here and how did you talk your wife into letting you go?"

"Well, I've been here since yesterday. Two nights ago I was sitting in my chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said 'guess who'?
    I pulled her hands off my face and she was wearing a brand new see-through nightie, and did she look great!
    She then took my hand and I followed her to our bedroom like a little puppy. The room had two dozen lit candles and rose petals all over. Soft music was playing, and on the bed she had handcuffs and ropes! She told me to tie and cuff her to the bed, and I did.

Then, with a devilish little grin on her face, she said 'do whatever you want.' with that sweet southern drawl of hers."

"Well, Here I am!"

Adam, if this keeps up the girls might kick us (me) outta here, and we'll have to find another forum.

Hi Jlo, Hi Red :)

That is some very informative stuff. I appreciate your help and advice. I will definitely try what you said. Thanks a lot.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 11:53 AM

Wow, I don't know how you moved that but that is nice of you. Maybe it is an expert thing. Anyway, I am going to try and get a new hunting clothing. Is there any recommendations on what is best or a type that is comfortable and not to heavy or to thin?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 20, 2009, 12:02 PM
    ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Wow, I don't know how you moved that but that is nice of ya. Maybe it is an expert thing. Anyway, I am going to try and get a new hunting clothing. Is there any reccommendations on what is best or a type that is comfortable and not to heavy or to thin?
    You can spend a gajillion on hunting wear, adam, but how are you planning on hunting?

Stalking clothes need to be just about impervious to underbrush and thorns, and you can find clothes with built in chaps to do that.

Hunting from a blind or stand will require the most comfortable clothes you own, because you will need to sit still for a while, like maybe hours.

Edit: Thanks, Ben.

Oct 20, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Wow, I don't know how you moved that but that is nice of ya. Maybe it is an expert thing. Anyway, I am going to try and get a new hunting clothing. Is there any reccommendations on what is best or a type that is comfortable and not to heavy or to thin?
    I can manage posts/threads within the confines of my area of expertise, (Gardening & Plants), but for now I needed the help of my trusty friend Cb

Dress for the weather! Dress in layers. Warmer less, colder more.

I can't tell you how many times I see guys out there about to drop dead from heat exposure because they wear Fall and Winter hunting clothes in 60-70-80 degree weather, and you're not going to be alert and in the 'zone' if you're sweating a lot!

Early season hunting clothes should consist of a long sleeve T-shirt, sometimes even a short sleeve T-shirt with a light jacket or vest that has a lot of pockets. Don't use bug spray (the smell), use some type of netting to protect yourself.

Check out the Natural Gear type shirts and pants at places like Bass Pro, Gander Mt. Cabela's, LL Bean, Cost Co. Best Buy, Sam's Club etc.

A simple T-Shirt, loose fitting, is also a great early season clothing option.
    A lightweight cap is also essential. Most everyone knows that the majority of your heat loss is through your head.
    In early season, you want to get rid of body heat. Don't trap body heat in with a heavy Fall or Winter style hunting hat!

Oh! and don't forget a good pair of thin socks (thicker for colder weather), and boots!

Do you have a knife? 4 to 6" blade is long enough. Rope? At least 20' 3/8" braided nylon. Matches or lighter.

Can you field dress (gut) a deer?
    Take a rag.

Make sure you go to the bathroom before you get to your stand.
    Still, take along some toilet tissue.

Do not load your gun until you reach your stand, and unload before you head back out! Don't forget! You will be walking in the dark, both ways.

If your not going to hunt on State Game Lands, have you asked the property owners permission?
    Always be courteous, leave a gate the way you found it!
    Leave the woods the way you found it. Pack out all your trash!

Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
    Are you going with anyone?
    Do you know where each hunter's stands are, even if they are not in your party?
    If alone let someone know where your going, and when you plan on being back?

Do you have radios? Cell phone charged up? On silenced ring? Even vibrate can make noise. Take a digital camera.
    Have chargers/batteries? These can be left at the car. Carry a small First Aid kit.

Do you have, and can you read a compass? If not,
    Take a sighting before you head into the woods, observe where the Sun comes up, and how it travels through the sky. Look behind you every now an then, it gives you a lay of the land. Can you see the Moon? Same thing.

Carry a cold sandwich, candy bar in a plastic bag, it makes less noise this way. Take a cold drink. Twist top is quieter than pop.

Plan for taking a lunch break, back at your vehicle. If alone, call someone to let them know your all right, and how it's going. Call your girlfriend.

Nothing gets a brother or friend, that couldn't come along, and for some reason it'll make you feel good at the same time.

I know it's a lot, heck I probably forgot some stuff, and some is kind of out of order, so if you have any questions, let me know.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 08:37 AM

Just thought I would update this a little bit on my hunting. So far I have yet to get a deer. I have been 3 times. Once on opening day and seen 3 doe very close to me. Only had buck tag. Argh!. Went Wednesday and last night. Seen a deer in the far distance, far far distance. I've been following all procedures safety wise. This woman makes these soaps that are a non scent supposed to smell like dirt and it really does, and I used that and not sure how affective it is. I will probably go this Saturday and Sunday.

Nov 20, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Here's a pix of a 10pt buck that was roamin' the neighborhood last week.

He came through our yard, and by the time I could get the camera ready he was already two houses down. Must be the rut, it was 11am when it happened.
    I have to admit I still got a touch of "buck fever" when I saw him.

Can you adjust your stand closer to where you saw the buck "in the far distance"?
    And remember the time he came through, settle in at least an hour before that.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 09:57 AM

Oh man, that is a nice pic. Makes me sad. The only ones I seen last night were in a field on my way home. The one I saw the other day is when I was walking to my stand so I stopped and took cover and prepared for the shot but he never came through. I am limited on my time throughout the week. I work 7-5 Monday through Friday and it gets daylight at 7 and gets dark at 5:50.

Nov 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
    You were talking 'bout safety, This just happened Tuesday, the hunter was out scouting.
    Looks like no foul play, autopsy should be in this weekend.

Missing Hunter's Body Found | abc27 News Video

Check to see if you have cell coverage where you hunt.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 11:47 AM

So nobody know what happened to him? That is crazy. You will have to let me know what they find out in the autopsy. I do have cell phone coverage where I hunt. I am lucky there. In case I run into any trouble, I carry a .357 with me as well.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 01:21 PM
    The video made me think of something else, Adam. Does anyone else know where your stand is, and your route to it? Maybe someone else ought to, just in case they have to come get you for the publisher's clearinghouse people or something.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    The video made me think of something else, Adam. Does anyone else know where your stand is, and your route to it? Maybe someone else ought to, just in case they have to come get you for the publisher's clearinghouse people or something.
    Yea, My dad knows and my brother in law knows and one of my friend knows. They all know the exact route and where everything is.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Now all you need is those publisher's clearing house people, or maybe a nice 8 pointer.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Now all you need is those publisher's clearing house people, or maybe a nice 8 pointer.
    What is the publishers clearing house people? I would like to get a nice sized buck.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 01:59 PM
    What is the publishers clearing house people? I would like to get a nice sized buck.
    You never got the mail that said "You may have won 10 million dollars" or saw the TV commercial where grandma starts jumping up and screaming when "the prize patrol" came to her door?

I'm old.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 02:06 PM
    You never got the mail that said "You may have won 10 million dollars" or saw the TV commercial where grandma starts jumping up and screaming when "the prize patrol" came to her door?

I'm old.
    Ok, I have or I think I remember pretty clearly anyway. Maybe I am thinking of something else but I still get you now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Idle "hunting" on 89 Honda Civic [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this form but so far everyone seems fairly knowledgeable. I currently am driving a 1989 Honda Civic LX 1.5 with M/T PGM-FI and 181,000 miles. Recently, when my car reaches it's normal running temperature, my car will began to idle erratically, almost like it is "hunting" for where to...

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

View more questions Search