Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itssandy007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Neutral contact not connected
    I recently got Satellite TV that needed an exterior power source. I have an outside plug.
    The technician was going to use this plug. When he went to use the plugs both were dead.
    I used a UL Listed 3-Wire Circuit Analyzer which indicated to me the Neutral contact not connected. What can I do about this to fix the problem.

I have basic electrical/wiring knowledge, but with the right information will try anything.

Thanks -:p
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 12:00 PM
    It is possible the connection inside the outlet box is loose, if not, then somewhere in the circuit. The only way to fix this is to open each outlet box and check all the connections and splices.

If you discover that the wires are stuck in the back of the outlet into holes, rather than wrapped around the screw teminals, this is most likely the problem, as these connections are popular for loosening.
    Bigworm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 08:12 PM
    I have seen exterior receptacles in residence where someone used conduit to run the lines.
    (I'm not sure if yours is in conduit or not)
    They also used the conduit as a neutral line all the way back to the panel. After further inspection I noticed a coupling connector along the conduit was loose and after retighting it the receptacle was working. Of course I didn't leave it like this, I added a white and green wire. White was for the neutral and the green for ground that grounded the receptacle.
    Bigworm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Oh I forgot to mention, the previous installer had a wire going from the screw terminal of the receptacle to a self tapping screw that was screwed on to the receptacle box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a printer not connected to a computer [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I have an HP Printer, which has an ethernet connection. The printer is attached to my Netgear Router, via this wired ethernet connection and my computer is also attached to the Netgear Router via a wired ethernet connection. I know the printer is connected correctly because it shows the...

Unable print while connected to internet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a computer running windows 98 SE, using a dialup connection. Whenever I am connected to the internet, I am unable to use my printer. Why is this and how can I fix it?

Issues with sleeping connected to Multivitamins? [ 9 Answers ]

I am having issues with sleeping lately. I cannot fall asleep in the evening. I will give you a little background on my activities, and what I thought might be an issue. About 3 months ago I got mononucleosis. Since then, I stopped going to my Ju Jitsu practices that I was going to for the past...

Laptop connected to an external monitor [ 1 Answers ]

I ruined the screen of my laptop a few weeks ago and have been surving off a cheap old dell monitor that I simply connected to my laptop. Today, I disconnected the two to move my laptop and when I reconnected them, the external monitor's screen no longer displayed the image from the laptop. I...

View more questions Search