Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ftg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 01:24 AM
    Change IP Address
    How can I change my lan ip address to my liking.. I think I can only change some of it, but how?
    I am not talking about my internet ip add because I use vpn.. just my lan ip which I use for my lan playing games..
    Don't say that reinstall windows.. it changed once while I reinstalled but I reinstalled for some other reason about which I had asked on this site.. ok

How can I or can I change my lan ip add which is assigned by DHCP..
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 20, 2009, 01:31 AM
    Turn off DHCP automatic assignment and then set a static address within the scope.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:13 AM
    Hi, Ben!

What's "DHCP automatic assignment", please?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 20, 2009, 05:23 AM
    DHCP assignment means you automagically receive an IP address from your router.

Oct 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Turn off DHCP automatic assignment and then set a static address within the scope.
    How can I do that?
    I don't know what you are talking about..
    And before asking this
    I had STFW
    OK
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 09:26 PM

Log on to your router. There are a few address ranges that are public. One is 10.0.0.0 and 192.168.0.0 and one other range.

You should see something for DHCP (assign an address automatically). You can set the range of the addresses like:
    192.168.1.1 and 182.168.1.30 and the lease time.

-Or-
    You can turn off DHCP and asigb any address within the address range of your router.

For instance, you may be able to use:
    LAN IP 192.168.1.15
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Address of router)
    Name server: 192.168.. 1.1 (Address of router)

You will also have to change the TCP/IP property of your network connection to these values.

Oct 21, 2009, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Log on to your router. There are a few address ranges that are public. One is 10.0.0.0 and 192.168.0.0 and one other range.

You should see something for DHCP (assign an address automatically). You can set the range of the addresses like:
    192.168.1.1 and 182.168.1.30 and the lease time.

-Or-
    You can turn off DHCP and asigb any address within the address range of your router.

For instance, you may be able to use:
    LAN IP 192.168.1.15
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Address of router)
    Name server: 192.168..1.1 (Address of router)

You will also have to change the TCP/IP property of your network connection to these values.
    I changed add through the tcp/ip prop.. but then my vpn client does not connect.. or my lan server..
    I kept the values of the following the same as they were previously by checking lan prop and clicking details:
    submask 255.255.248.0
    default gateway was empty(why was this blank:confused:)
    and dns server 10.101.10.5
    but when I selected assign auto every thing went OK again

also how can I log into the router.. I use cable lan..
    when I restarted my PC and then checked assign auto add then I was assigned the ip which I had entered manually by dhcp and my net and every thing is working f9 now..
    is this how we change ip..
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 04:50 AM

Your being assigned an address by VPN. With VPN your part of the network that VPN assigns.

In order to log onto your router, you have to not use VPN. The value of the default gateway will be your router address. Might be http://192.168.1.1

With VPN enabled, you can't change your LAN address. Forgot about that. Re-logging in (disable/enable VPN) may change it or it may not. Check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IP Address Won't Change [ 3 Answers ]

I rleased/renewed my IP Address. But after I renew it, it comes back as the Same address!! CAn someone help?? Also why can one computer on my network post thigs (online forms, craigslist etc,) but this one can't?? It does like one out of every 100 times? PLEASE HELP!!

IP Address - any way to change? [ 10 Answers ]

This may be the wrong forum, if so I apologize, didn't really know where it would fit. Question -- is there some way to present a different IP address when loggine into a site? Thanks for your help.

Change of address [ 1 Answers ]

After a recent move, I made up a list of companies, agencies, and services that needed to know my new address and phoned each one to ask for the change to be made. Everything went smoothly until I called one of my frequent flier accounts. After I explained to the representative what I wanted to...

WEB Address Change? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello There! How can I change my WEB adderss. For example if my address is: www.boy.com I want to change it to: www.girl.com

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search