Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toni1942 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 09:09 PM
    Small Claims Court
    I need to know how I can take my Step-daughter to Small Claims court in order to retrieve my money.
    She owes me $8,310 dollars. She signed a contract for part of it.
    She moved to Florida. In other words she robbed me,
    What can I do?
    Does Small Claims Court handle these matters in the county one lives in?
    This is a brief summary of what I really need to ask.
    Can you please help me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 05:51 AM

Jurisdiction is the residence of the Defendant, your stepdaughter - so the answer is, yes, you have to go where she is to file.

It ends up being expensive - I actually had to fly to Maryland to file a claim and then fly back for the hearing.

You said you have a contract for part of the money - is making two trips worth it to you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small Claims Court [ 47 Answers ]

I have been sued in Small Claims Court by a debt collector. I filed an answer and then received a pretrial conference order. I would like to file a motion to dismiss because debt collectors can not sue in small claims court in Texas. I would like to know if I can file my motion now or must I wait...

Can I take this to small claims court [ 6 Answers ]

We had a car that we were leasing. On January 26th 2005 the car was repossessed because we had no insurance on it. It wasn't being driven it was stored while we were looking for cheaper insurance. It was repossessed. We aren't fighting the repo, we are fighting the amount they are charging after...

Small claims court [ 11 Answers ]

Me (Shirley) and my aunt (Margaret) had a cell phone account together but had separate phones, and also she was the primary account holder, I CXL my phone service early, so I had to pay the early cancelation fee, which I paid, now the phone service is calling my aunt saying that bill was not paid,...

View more questions Search