asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2009, 04:26 PM

Fog came in.
    I'll try in November.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 22, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Ah, well, that's the way it goes sometimes. :(

Seeing really gets bad for me in the next two. November, and December are my two most cloudy Months.

In case you would ever see a fireball (Meteor) You can report it here:
    AMS Fireball Monitoring Program

It's not for general showers like the Orionids, unless there would be an exceptional display of a singular nature.

K
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2009, 05:46 PM

I have seen bolides!

The most spectacular fireball I ever saw was a reentering Soviet rocket, which I saw while camping with friends at 10,000 feet. Wow.

A couple of Vandenberg rockets.

I will keep in mind the fireball monitoring program if I seen another. I'd have to take up camping or stargazing again. I live in northern California and report all our earthquakes to the USGS's "did you feel it?" website.

Oct 22, 2009, 07:13 PM
    I was able to report my first one to AMS last year in August 08

If your interested in Satellite sightings try this:
    Heavens-Above Home Page Redding Ca.

You can adjust the sighting location if Redding is too far from you. An advantage to having a more precise location is the site can give better sighting times.

You can search H/A's database of towns or you can also edit your location manually, with your Earth co-ordinates.

This page offers a list of ISS - Visible Passes as you go over the dates, take notice of the center column in the Max. Alt. table, the higher the value, the more directly overhead the ISS will be.

Click on 23OCT. Then on click here to the right of the flashing new sign, the ISS is almost out of the viewing circle.

Now, Click on 28OCT then click here... See the difference?

I started using H/A to hunt down Iridium flares, and check it regularly for the ISS

If you can use the USGS site, it shouldn't take you long to master this.
    When you get on the visible passes page, and go to the Ground Track Plot, navigation is a matter of using the back button. :)

k
    Saylor22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
    I'm laying on the beach in gulf shores Alabama with a blanket and my girlfriend ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 10:54 PM

Hope you are having fun and seeing lots of shooting stars. It's socked in here in Northern California.

Nov 21, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Thought I'd check this out... Didn't receive a script notice.

Saw one meteor at 4:12am on the morning of the 17th. The clouds rolled in, and the next morn, was also socked. :(

I'da loved to of seen this Willamette, Oregon Meteorite commin' in! :eek:

Willamette Meteorite - Wikipedia
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 10:56 PM

Holy cow! Now, that's a meteorite!

Do people ever get hit by these things? Or can you see it coming and run out of its path?

I saw one good one about 4 in the morning on the 18th. Out the window from my bed. I meant to get up.. . But I fell back to sleep and the next thing I knew it was daylight. :o

... snckkk

Nov 22, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Holy cow! Now, that's a meteorite!

Do people ever get hit by these things? Or can you see it coming and run out of its path?
    Sure do, in the last 233years or so there have been 14 instances were people have been struck, but not killed Meteorite Hits Page
    Most though have been animals, cars or buildings most recently: CBC News - Toronto - S. Ontario meteorite fragment hit SUV

I would think it happens so fast, you would have no time to react. There's this case this past summer:
    14-year-old hit by 30,000 mph space meteorite - Telegraph

But this site isn't so sure 'bout it, read below the DoD story:
    Meteors in the News – DoD Classifies Fireball Data and Boy Gets Hit By Meteorite The Transient Sky – Comets, Asteroids, Meteors

Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    I saw one good one about 4 in the morning on the 18th. Out the window from my bed. I meant to get up . . . but I fell back to sleep and the next thing I knew it was daylight. :o

...snckkk
    I know of what you are saying. It was much easier for me back before my retirement.
    I worked nights, and was usually home by 4 in the morning, and I would stay out until dawn.

On a lighter note, Have you heard?
    SPACE.com -- It's a Girl! Astronaut's Daughter Born While He's in Space
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 12:35 PM

Woa! That meteorite seems to be metallic... :cool:

I wonder in which direction you have to run if you see a meteorite coming towards you... perhaps left or right is the best way... :confused:
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 12:40 PM

I would run towards it so it will overshoot. :D
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 12:46 PM

If it were me... I would fear that my estimation of the impact of the meteorite would not be good. If that turns to be an overestimate, it would be difficult not to get hit. So, left or right I'd move.
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 01:16 PM

I was kind of joking.

As far as left or right, it would depend on the terrain. But in either case, don't spend a lot of time thinking about it!
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 01:20 PM

Lol, right :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 06:39 PM

KUXJ,
    I really enjoyed reading some of your links today. I was working on a boring project and it was nice to have some entertainment when I needed a break.

Nov 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Your welcome asking.
    More's the pity that we can not sidestep our obligations, like we can meteorite's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa (2007-2009) should pay FICA in 2009? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Expert, I am a J1 researcher from China, I entered USA in August 25, 2007. Part of my income is from Chinese Government and part from USA(1500 per/month). From this JULY 2, the payroll office in USA started to withhold the FICA tax and medicare, but according to the US-China treaty, there is...

Filing H1 April 2009, finishing course work in May 2009 [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I am finishing my course work in May 2009. I am filing my H1 in April 2009. Can I file my H1 based on masters? What letter and what letter should stat to support my application? Please answer me as soon as possible. I will be thankful to you.

Best Meteor Shower of 2007 Peaks Dec. 13 [ 6 Answers ]

... that is, if you can see Gemini from your location: Best Meteor Shower of 2007 Peaks Dec. 13 - Yahoo! News

Ash Wednesday 2009 [ 2 Answers ]

When is Ash Wednesday 2009

Meteor Showers [ 2 Answers ]

The Perseids are up this month. The particles are from a comet that cruises by our sun every 130 years. Why do we see the particles once a year? Shouldn't it be once every 130 years?

View more questions Search