Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kero Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 03:47 PM
    pendulum mechanics
    a pendulum of mass m and length L is pulled back an angle θ and released. After the pendulum swings through its lowest point, it encounters a peg α degrees out and r meters from the top of the string. The mass swings up about the peg until the string becomes slack with the mass falling inward and hitting the peg. Show that cosθ=r/Lcosα-√3/2(1-r/L)
    image: http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board...d56a3b27d7.jpg

please guys share any thoughts you have on this even if you don't know the answer.
    Thanks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 04:40 AM

cosθ=r/Lcosα-√3/2(1-r/L)

Does that mean:

?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    cosθ=r/Lcosα-√3/2(1-r/L)

Does that mean:

?
    I don't think so, as the units don't work out. Since must be dimensionless, I think he means:

Kero?

Oct 20, 2009, 06:55 AM

Kero?[/QUOTE]

that's exactly what i mean
    i been working on this problem for a long time
    hope you guys can help
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 09:32 AM

Sorry, I had just passed through a rather 'traumatising physics paper' just then and didn't think much before posting. :o
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 10:13 AM

Kero: are you sure the answer is: ?

Reason I ask is I just came up with a solution of:

Note that in my solution the term is in the numerator, which means that if you increase you have to increase a comparable amount so as to get the velocity up. Your answer would indicate that if you increase you would use a smaller value of , which doesn't seem right.

Post back, and if my answer is correct I'll give you some pointers on how I got it!
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:18 AM

That makes sense... I'd like to know too. Ok, waiting for kero's response now :rolleyes: Be quick kero ;)
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 11:17 AM

OK, here's what I did - refer to the attached drawing:

First, recognize that there are three phases to this problem. Phase 1: you have a mass on a string of length L which swings down in an arc of radius L. Phase 2: then the string hits the peg and you have the mass now moving in an arc of radius L-R. Phase 3: as the mass rises at some point the tension in the string goes to zero, and the mass is essentially lobbed back at the pin. For this phase it moves like a projectile under gravity.

1. In order for the mass to be lobbed back toward the pin the tension in the string must be zero, so that the mass moves in an arc under gravity. The tension in the string is:

T is zero at the pont that the mass is no longer constraijed by the string. This gives you an expression for in terms of :

2. Given an initial launch velocity of , the time for the mass to move horizontally back to the peg is:

3. In order to precisely hit the peg, the mass has to fall vertically a distance in that time T:

4. Combine the equations from 2 and 3 to get in terms of :

5. Put the equation from step 1 into 4. This gets you a value for purely in terms of g, L and R:

6. The height of the launch point is:

from step 1 and 5 we know that:

7. You know that when the mass is first released it must reach velocity at this height as it swings downward. So use energy principles to calculate the height from which it must be released for this to occur:

Sub in H from step 6, and from step 5. Plug and chug, and you get:

Attached Images

Oct 20, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Sorry guys you are right that's what I meant

Thanks sooooooooooo much for the help, I really appreciate it
    You guys saved my life today
    God bless

Oct 20, 2009, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    OK, here's what I did - refer to the attached drawing:

First, recognize that there are three phases to this problem. Phase 1: you have a mass on a string of length L which swings down in an arc of radius L. Phase 2: then the string hits the peg and you have the mass now moving in an arc of radius L-R. Phase 3: as the mass rises at some point the tension in the string goes to zero, and the mass is essentially lobbed back at the pin. For this phase it moves like a projectile under gravity.

1. In order for the mass to be lobbed back toward the pin the tension in the string must be zero, so that the mass moves in an arc under gravity. The tension in the string is:

T is zero at the pont that the mass is no longer constraijed by the string. This gives you an expression for in terms of :

2. Given an initial launch velocity of , the time for the mass to move horizontally back to the peg is:

3. In order to precisely hit the peg, the mass has to fall vertically a distance in that time T:

4. Combine the equations from 2 and 3 to get in terms of :

5. Put the equation from step 1 into 4. This gets you a value for purely in terms of g, L and R:

6. The height of the launch point is:

from step 1 and 5 we know that:

7. You know that when the mass is first released it must reach velocity at this height as it swings downward. So use energy principles to calculate the height from which it must be released for this to occur:

Sub in H from step 6, and from step 5. Plug and chug, and you get:

Thanks sooooooooooo much for the help, I really appreciate it.
    I got everything except for the last part where you did the plug in and hope you can help me with that.
    Again thanks a lot !

Oct 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
    And also if you please could explain how you got # 5, I will really appreciate it
    Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kero View Post
    Thanks sooooooooooo much for the help, I really appreciate it.
    I got everything except for the last part where you did the plug in and hope you can help me with that.
    Again thanks alot !
    Kero: I've given you a pretty good outline of how to do this problem. This is your homework problem - so before I give any more details, please show us your work so far.

Oct 21, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Kero: I've given you a pretty good outline of how to do this problem. This is your homework problem - so before I give any more details, please show us your work so far.
    OK here is what I did following your outline so far

Oct 21, 2009, 10:21 PM
    combining 2 &3

x

x

Oct 21, 2009, 10:23 PM

I get stock on number 5 because when I plug in #1 into # 4 I get

Also when I get to plug in at the last step, I don't know what to plug in for A
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:09 PM

Ok, both of you made me understand better. Here's my small part! :)

I'm letting r = L-R to reduce confusion between the variables.

Rationalise by multiplying by gr/gr:

Here! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple Pendulum [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone knows an answer for this question? 1. Suggest the conditions required for a pendulum to swing continuously. 2. If a pendulum is made to swing in water, compare the time taken for this pendulum to come to a complete stop with the time taken by a pendulum swinging in air. Explain...

Pendulum solving [ 1 Answers ]

How the pendulum works on moon ?

Simple pendulum [ 2 Answers ]

The length of a simple pendulum is 0.760m the pendulum bob has a mass of 365g and it is released at an angle of 12.0 degres to the vertical. a) With what frequency does it vibrate? Assume SHM. b) what is the pendulum bob's speed when it passes through the lowest point of the weing? c) What is the...

Simple pendulum [ 1 Answers ]

How long must a simple pendulum be if it is to make eactly one swing per second? (that is one complete vibration takes exatly 2.0s)

How to use a pendulum [ 3 Answers ]

Hey does anyone know how to use a pendulum. I want to learn how to use it. And is it for real ? Thanks 3960

View more questions Search