Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgehner Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 09:20 AM
    "Morning after" pill for dogs?
    We THOUGHT we took all the necessary precautions to keep our 1 1/2 year old purebred Weimaraner from being bred... needless to say the Sheltie found its way out of a 6' privacy fence and she found her way out of the kennel on the other side of the house. I came home to them being tied in the driveway.

Her discharge is still a bit bloody and quite frankly, I can't imagine what a Sheltie/Weimaraner cross would look like, but I'll bet it won't be pretty.

Has anyone ever used the canine "morning after" pill? Does anyone have any idea if she could be pregnant since she's still bleeding?

In my experience, I've never had a female get pregnant until the discharge is clear, but it would be my luck.

HELP PLEASE.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 09:59 AM
    I keep warning people to beware of creative, strenuous efforts to get loose and get together. A female won't accept the male until she is in her fertile period. They are somewhat less likely to take in the early and late parts. Don't let up your guard now. She will still make the best of any chance to get to a male and if the first breeding didn't take, the second one may, plus another chance to pick up a fatal infection or be injured.

Unless things have changed, it may be best to let her go through any pregnancy. You should schedule an appointment with your vet to have her examined. Unplanned breedings carry other hazards besides pregnancy. Not sure a Sheltie is that much of a threat to a Weimaraner, but any dog can carry an infection. At that time, discuss possible remedies. I am sure any morning after pill or other treatment will need to come from your vet, not OTC.

I want to address the point that you seem to have breeding experience, but still are coming to a general Q&A site for information a breeder should already have. I am afraid you may part of the problem as far as poor breeding practices. Please either get her spayed, or do some research. A good place to start is www.akc.org and their page on responsible breeding. If you would like a good book, Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV comes highly recommended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Looking for song title lyrics are "In the morning I can see the sign no wonder I... " [ 7 Answers ]

I have been trying to figure out who this song is by and what it is called. It's a rock song sung by a guy and some of the lyrics are... "In the morning I can see the sign, no wonder I could never keep you satisfied" I know this song is older maybe a few years. If anyone has any ideas...

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search