Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrea1brown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Can I ask for damages for a pharmacy hipaa violation
    I want to know if I can sue or ask for damages from a pharmacy that violated hipaa law
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2009, 02:30 PM

First, you need to answer what damages you suffered. Second, HIPAA provides for fines and sanctions to the medical practitioner that violates the law, but not for recompense to the victim of the violation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 02:33 PM
    To reiterate what Scott said... HIPAA will fine the pharmacy or the entity that violated, but you get no monetary gain. However, you can hire a lawyer and sue the pharmacy if you have permanent damages.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 02:34 PM

Agree, tell us what your damages were, financilally. Even suing in court you will need to show damages because the courts will frequently try to make you whole. Got to show you lost something to get the courts to give it back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation in Pharmacy [ 5 Answers ]

I was at Target yesterday and inquired why one of my prescriptions was not filled. The technician said one second and went to talk to the pharmacist. She was speaking from the back of the pharmacy and said Mr. Bowman I see where this presription (the actual name) and this prescription (actual...

Hipaa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a Hipaa violation to inform a customer at a pharmacy about the price of their medication, cash price before and after insurance if they ask? Note: the name of the medication was never spoken aloud.

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

HIPAA Violation [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a physician office. Our physicians want to sublease some office space to another physician practice. This arrangement calls for both practices to share some areas including the front desk/medical records office. I'm concerned that we will not be able to adequately safeguard our...

HIPAA pharmacy label [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up my perscription yesterday and my information was correct on the box, however, the tube inside the box had someone else's 411. I took it back to the pharmacy and asked (very nicely) for my money and Rx back. I was dismissed and told it WAS the right Rx but it just had someone else's...

View more questions Search