Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akms Posts: 131, Reputation: -3

Nov 4, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Big math problem
    I just got into middleschool and I am having huge problems with math my dad says that I might just find it boring and not be trying but I try really hard and yet my brain just won't work and its not a that I'm a dunce my reading is 7 grades above me and I write great poetry math just doesn't click
    im my own enemy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Ok, here's the deal. About when I was going into middle school. I had a problem with math. I wasn't sure what to do. I was very frustrated. My mom said the exact thing that your dad said. Now math is my favorite class, it may never be your "favorite" class, but you can learn to understand it. I never understood it until a teacher taught me in a way that I could understand more easily. My sister has the same problem. She is now in high school and she is just now starting to understand it. Just don't give up, try not to be frustrated.

PS(math is always easier if you understand better what the problem is asking you to do, and there is always more than one way to solve a probem)

Nov 15, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Its not that it's the teacher writes it down and it looks different then when I'm supposed to write them and I see them I've done research and I might be dislexic

Nov 15, 2006, 09:01 PM
    My sister said the same thing believe it or not. You might be, I don't know you, but just keep trying. I'm pretty sure that if you were dislexic that you would also have problems with words and symbols also, not just math. If you really think that you might be dislexic then talk to your parents and if they think that something is wrong they will do something about it.
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Nov 15, 2006, 10:04 PM
    Find a good friend who is in the same class, who understands the problems, and that you can trust to help you. They may be able to explain the problems to you in easy-to-follow terms, whereas teachers usually explain in "text book terms."
    dancingangell Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by akms
    i just got into middleschool and i am having huge problems with math my dad says that i might just find it boring and not be trying but i try really hard and yet my brain just wont work and its not a that im a dunce my reading is 7 grades above me and i write great poetry math just doesnt click
    When I was going into middle school it was very hard in math. Ask your teacher if you can stay after school for extra help. A teacher is always willing to help you.

Dec 23, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Yeah thanks but my parents think its dixlexcia to and when I was younger I had the same problem with reading and I still do with writing I have 2 friends in this class math five aka
    Remedial math that's what I call it at least but they have problems of their own in math and I don't want to trouble them with mine and unfortunately I've had this problem since I was in kinder garten by the way the way I learned to read was the harry potter books I wanted to read them thanks for your time in posting these I've tried them thanks
    Fianchetto Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 02:09 PM
    i just got into middleschool and i am having huge problems with math my dad says that i might just find it boring and not be trying but i try really hard and yet my brain just wont work and its not a that im a dunce my reading is 7 grades above me and i write great poetry math just doesnt click
    ashleysb Find a good friend who is in the same class, who understands the problems, and that you can trust to help you. They may be able to explain the problems to you in easy-to-follow terms, whereas teachers usually explain in "text book terms."

SPOT-ON, Ashley!! When I was in High School we had a weekly meeting where the more advanced students got to help the struggling ones on-on-one. And when any of us ran into impasse, we could ask the teacher/moderator to help reel us back in. It was based on that exact principle - teacher from the fifties, kids from the seventies - the kids all spoke the same "language" and hearing it from a peer is usually effective in getting the point across. I loved watching my fellow student's "light come on" - that moment of understanding that I had helped to bring about was a tremendous lift for me and learning that they passed a test was tremendous, too!

AKMS - perhaps you could find out if your school offers such a forum, or whether your teacher would be willing to help get one started? Feel free to copy my comments to your teacher if you like.

You're probably just getting into algebra, I presume - That's where math starts getting FUN! Till now, it's all been rote memorization of your multiplication tables, fractions, long division, etc. >>BORING<< Soon you'll acquire the tools to solve REAL problems that you WILL see in your adult life. I hope you find my two cents helpful, and KEEP ON PLUGGING AWAY AT IT! I'm sure there'll be someone to help "turn on the lights" for you.

;)
    pinkflower23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Just tell your dad that you really are trying but you just aren't getting it

Dec 31, 2006, 01:21 PM
    im still on arithmatic at 11 years old my bros getting into algebra
    That you're not yet in algebra makes getting help from your peers no less valuable an option. I bet your brother would be so flattered if you were to ask him for help, he would help you in the privacy of your own home.

Either way, I think that attempting to start an after-school help meet would not only help you and your peers, but your teacher would have a unique opportunity (fewer students in the room) to take a closer look at yourself and the other struggling students and possibly determine your weak points and focus better on them.

Besides, that memorizing your multiplication tables and other basic math is boring, it's the foundation for your future studies - you just got to have it. I still recommend that you talk to your teacher, get the help you need (that's what they're there for), and get it soon. If you don't get the basics, the problem will only "snowball" as you get into the higher math courses.

Again, please feel free to print out all of my comments for your teacher.

Mathematicians put robots on Mars.
    Mathematicians put men on the Moon.
    Mathematicians designed the aircraft, tanks, and bombs that won WWII.
    Mathematicians predict the weather.
    Mathematicians designed the great ships that can sail the seas for years without having to stop for fuel.

I'm sure that in each of these endeavors, some of them made some mistakes along the way, but they had their peers there to point and say "I think there is something wrong here.."

Good luck!
    Fianchetto

P.S. I never mentioned my time in the Navy. School in the Navy is fast, tough, and HIGHLY competitive. We all quickly FORMED OURSELVES (with no direction or supervision) into groups who got along well, and we would study together EVERY night. Passing in the halls, or anywhere, we posed topical questions to one another. I graduated 2nd in a group of about 50. The guy ahead of me was a fraction of a point ahead of me. (I was 98.6, he 99.1). None of any of the guys who stuck to a study group failed. We just helped one another through. This sort of thing works, and I'm sure it can work for you, and your friends, too.:)

Jan 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
    My brothers really sarcastic and would laugh but thanks its really nice of you to try ind find solutions does starting a company need math because that's what I want to do

Jan 12, 2007, 06:06 PM
    my brothers really sarcastic and would laugh but thanks its really nice of you to try ind find solutions does starting a company need math because thats what i want to do
    Well, let's see... Companies need employees, who, in turn, need to be paid. And, you will need to know how many employees it will take to do the job of satisfying your customers, and how to price your product low enough to keep your customers, but high enough to pay your employees enough to keep them from seeking more (for them) gainful employment with your competitors. You will need to calculate how much raw material to purchase based on current and historically seasonal demand to make enough of your product to go around through the year. You'll also want to make sure that when January rolls 'round that you have a minimum of raw material and product on hand so that you can minimize your tax burden.

That's just for starters... At least in the beginning, until you can afford to pay accountants and financial advisors, YOU will be the accountant and finance department rolled into one package. So, I I'm quite sure that, like it or not, math will be a bright star in your future, whether you start a business or not. Which fact can be a good thing - you will be able to double-check their results and find whether they are trying to rip you off. :)

I guess what I'd really like to convey to you is that it really doesn't matter what career you choose to pursue, whether as an employer, an employee, or as a "Stay-at-home-Mother", math will always be there. Whether it's paying employees and buying raw materials, whether it's deciding whether to pay a little more for gas or get a more efficient ride to work, whether it's finding the right amount of milk to mix with the formula or the right amount of medicine to give to comply with the doctor's reccommendation, It all requirees math.

One more time, though: The help meet I suggest would certainly be an incredible benefit for you and your fellow students, better for you if the idea came from you. And, as you advance, you can become one of the student helpers. I can tell you first-hand that it is a tremendous feeling to help one's peers to understand a problem.

I'm sorry, but there's no occupation, status, position or station that does not require some knowledge of math.

Please feel free to copy my suggestions to your teacher, as usual.

Thanks again for responding, and I hope I am helpful to you. But even more so, I'd like to hear that you helped start that study group. I can't encourage you enough more to do so.

Best regards,
    Fianchetto
    hungupp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Don't worry. When I was grade 4 I had the reading capacity of a grade 12. But... I sucked at math! Your problaby really good with visual, Oh I bet your left handed too. :)
    Just keep trying. I know it's easier said then done, but just remember everybody has their strong points and their weak points. If not they ain't human.
    Good Luck!
    CHARLES11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Mitiplying and simplyfying
    denise-help Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
    I Have An Algebra Problem: I Need To Know How This Problem Is Broken-down, 8y+11=2y+29 It Is Pre-algebra.. :( :(

Mar 21, 2007, 09:00 PM
    8y+11=2y+29
    -11 -11

8y=2y+18
    -2y -2y

6y=18

After you get there (6y=18) you just divide 18 by 6 and that will get you 3.
    So you answer will be "y=3".
    I hope this helps.
    belford4u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
    The inward force that is necessary to keep an object in circular motion is called ?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 22, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Why is this thread collecting misc questions? New questions should be posted separately.

At any rate, a simple Google search will show that the inward force necessary for circular motion is called centripetal force

Apr 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
    I took a test educational overall performance junk to find my strenghs weaknesses stuff and I have a.d.d deslexia and manic depression I'm also going to need to take harmones for transgender stuff after all those diagnoses I'm going to be a walking drug dealer even if perscribed I don't even know if the deslexcia is what's the problem
    optop Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 04:01 PM
    My sister is also in middle school [6th grade] and she has a big math problem,too.So,every Monday morning her math teacher and an 8th grader tooter her,before any student arrives at school.She also studys one hour in each day and is so organized with her stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could someone help with my math problem [ 3 Answers ]

Jim and Alice Lange, employees at Wal-Mart, have put themselves on a strict budget. Their goal at year’s end is to buy a boat for $15,000 in cash. Their budget includes the following: 40% food and lodging 20% entertainment 10% educational Jim earns $1,900 per month and Alice earns $2,400...

Math problem [ 10 Answers ]

The pasteurization temperature of milk by the High Temperature Short Time (HTST process is 161 Fahrenheit. What is this temperature in Centigrade? How do you work the problem and show all the work on paper.

Math problem [ 6 Answers ]

Kyle is a world class tennis player and goes to practice with some bags of tennis balls. Kyle has five bags containing a total of 50 tennis balls. The first and second bags contain a total of 21 tennis balls, the second and third bags contain 20 tennis balls, and the third and fourth contain 21...

Math problem [ 3 Answers ]

A restaurant sink compartment is 30" long and 24" wide. If filled to a depth of 12 inches, how many gallons are in the sink? I divided 35/171 my ans. Was 2.0467 and I rounded it to 2.05 GPG dosage. I'm sure it's wrong, but I don't know what I'm doing. How do you work the problem and show...

Math problem [ 3 Answers ]

A man walked 24,256 meters in two hours. How many miles per hour did he walk. How do you work the problem and show all the work on paper.

View more questions Search