Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dorris Haus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Distributing keys
    I own a Bed & Breakfast. I have just learned that my landlord who was booking stays here (another question) made copies of my key and distributed it to her girlfriends.

If I change my locks, can I charge her for it? Or deduct it from my rent? (which she would oppose as she denies it)

If I change the locks, won't I just have to give her another key, and she can continue to do this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 10:14 AM

Once you sign a rental agreement the keys are yours. If your landlord must enter your home at any time, say to check on maintenance, he must have your permission.

You are right, if you changed the locks, you would have to give her a key, but she is crossing the line by giving strangers the key to a rental property you are payng for.

Did she or her g/friends enter your home without asking you permission ? And how did you find out that she has done this ?

Tick
    Dorris Haus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 10:28 AM

I own and operate a Bed & Breakfast. At the end of a rather bizarre visit, she asked her girlfriends if they had "their key" right in front of me. One said she forgot hers at home, and then left in her car. Later, my landlord insisted she was talking about car keys. Clearly a lie.
    thatlockguy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 08:38 PM

As long as she's leasing the space, it's her key to do with as she wishes. Are the keys you're referring to enter a common area? If so, you might have grounds to backcharge. Try replacing your locks with a controlled keyway (such as shclage primus/everest, ASSA, ABLOY or something similar) which she can't get copies of. More expensive to install, but the piece of mind knowing that you control the keys is worth it in my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keys are stuck [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason a few the keys are not working on the keyboard. They are completely frozen. I hit the keys and nothing happens. Please help. Thank u!

Fn Keys [ 4 Answers ]

I need help! Keys on my keyboard are not working e.g. k comes as 2, j as 1, l as 3, 0 as *... How can I fix this?

DUI and No Keys In the Igniton [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a DUI and my court date to testify is March 26th but I was wondering if I would be able to Fight it since I was parked in a residential area and the keys weren't in the igniton and were in my boyfriends hand. I have a lawyer but he sent me a letter sayign he won't beable to tlak to me...

I need the gen keys to... [ 1 Answers ]

I ask of how I will be able to decode my cell fone motorala v350 and I guess there is nothing crimal about this even I had a site which provided me all the gen keys but now I can not trace that site any more and a friend told me about this site which I may ask my questions and receive my answers...

View more questions Search