Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishcatnipgirl Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2009, 05:24 AM
    Cleaning Pine Cones-Crafts
    Anyone know how to make sure pine cones are clean for a wedding reception centerpiece??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 05:51 AM

You rinse them off and let them dry on paper towels. How dirty can they be if you know where you gathered them ?

Tick

Oct 19, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Just wondering if they'd have bugs in them that would crawl out onto the tables! LOL
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Maybe for the bug issue, you could bake them low 200' for a time, so if there are any bugs, they would be dead and unable to crawl.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 10:02 AM

I have never seen bugs in pine cones. I think the pine syrup keeps them away.

Tick

Oct 19, 2009, 11:26 AM

Thank you all so much for your answers. I did find some info on the Internet as well. Thanks!!
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Oct 22, 2009, 09:44 PM

You can soak them in bleach water, they will shrink up, but as they dry they open up again. I soaked them before when I made wreaths for the chruch. Its easier to put them on the wreath rings.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 23, 2009, 06:06 PM

I would soak them in soapy water with a small amount of bleach. Rinse thoroughly, then let them dry thoroughly and brush on some Mod Podge. This acts as a sealant and gives the cones some luster and enhances the color of the cone. You can find Mod Podge in any craft store.

I would choose the high gloss but there is a mat one also. When first brushed on, it will appear milky but dries clear. Click below to check out what Mod Podge is.

Click Here: Mod Podge, Glue & Decoupage Products from Plaid Enterprises

Now go have some fun!:D:rolleyes::p!!!
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Oct 27, 2009, 06:11 PM

Instead of brushing on stuff, I used spary sealer. Its a lot faster, easier. There is hi,semi,and matte glosss to choose from.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pine cones on Japanese black pine [ 1 Answers ]

Should I remove or leave the emerging pine cones on a japanese "thunderhead" black pine? I planted it last fall, I'm in zone 6-7 New Jersey.

What are your crafts? [ 169 Answers ]

Just curious :D

Crowded Pine Tree by Firs how to prune to free Pine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pine tree that over the years has been crowded out by surrounding Fir trees. The trees are about 24ft apart and 90 feet tall. In a row. The Pine basically only has green up by the top. If I trim off some of the surrounding fir branches will the bare Pine branches regrow needles? Once it...

Unknown animal eating pine cones in my yard [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? Don't know if I should be asking this here or in "Pest Control" I have tall white pine trees in my yard. Under a tree is a pile of what looks like wood shavings but is actually the scaly parts of pine cones dropping to the ground from far up in the tree. The pine cones...

Lightening/cleaning pine furniture [ 3 Answers ]

can i get my pine bedroom furniture back to it's original colour? it's around 15 years old now and has got much darker in colour.:) help!! me please:o

View more questions Search