Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Oct 19, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Insulated window has fogged up ?
    Have a insulated window that has fogged up... between the 2 panes of glass.

Changed 6 windows approx 5 years ago, this is the only one that has done this.
    It is on the north side, along with 3 others. (Louisiana)

Besides replacement, any ideas how to clean this ?

How does this happen...
    I thought this was sealed and nothing could get between the panes.

Danna
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 06:41 AM

When this happened to me I was advised that my only choice was to remove and replace the sliding doors. I have no idea what causes this other than age.

I found a process on the Internet where the seal is removed, air is removed, the door is resealed but it was prohibitively expensive. It was less expense to remove the doors and replace them - even though that required that they be reframed.

Oct 19, 2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks...
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 10:27 AM

By any chance is there a warranty on your windows? (My door was outside the warranty which, as I recall, was 10 years.)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 05:55 PM

Judy is right and many thermopanes have up to a 25 year warranty. There is a company or two who claim they can repair them but check out the warranty approach first. “Get the Fog Out” of Thermopane Windows at Home Ray Sands Glass Blog
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 06:05 PM

If the sash can be dissembled a glass shop can replace the glass. Special order.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Oct 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    When this happened to me I was advised that my only choice was to remove and replace the sliding doors. I have no idea what causes this other than age.

I found a process on the Internet where the seal is removed, air is removed, the door is resealed but it was prohibitively expensive. It was less expense to remove the doors and replace them - even though that required that they be reframed.
    Since we are not talking about doors but windows lets get to the bottom of it.

Double pane windows are done with a black resin called butal between
    Your only fix is to order another set
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    since we are not talking about doors but windows lets get to the bottom of it.

double pane windows are done with a black resin called butal between
    your only fix is to order another set

I'm sorry? It's not the same process, two panes of glass with either low pressure gas or a vacuum between them?

Butal is also a medication used to treat migraines - please post your source about the windows. I can't find the info.

I realize you are angry with me but that's no reason to post incorrect info. Did you go to the site that was posted and read what was there?
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 07:02 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee;2041158]I'm sorry? It's not the same process, two panes of glass with either low pressure gas or a vacuum between them?

Butal is also a medication used to treat migraines - please post your source.

Danny, I realize you are angry with me but that's no reason to post incorrect info just to have something to say back at me. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ml#post1994713

Still want to know how your membership is going?

Oct 20, 2009, 07:22 AM

Butyl rubber is used to seal out water and moisture, sounds like Butal but very much different. Thermopanee windows and/or doors can be repaired but glass dealers do not all do this work so its spotty. Most folks replace, sometimes under warranty.
    scooter1955 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Hi, I work in a glass shop, and we change these panes out all the time. Since the unit has failed, take the sash to your local glass shop, they will measure the size and overall thickness, and whether it has low-E glass or not. You than can take the sash back home an reinstall, until the new pane comes in. It takes us about a week to get the new pane back.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter1955 View Post
    Hi, I work in a glass shop, and we change these panes out all the time. Since the unit has failed, take the sash to your local glass shop, they will measure the size and overall thickness, and whether it has low-E glass or not. You than can take the sash back home an reinstall, til the new pane comes in. It takes us about a week to get the new pane back.

How do you remove the air and seal the window between the two "layers"?

Nov 1, 2009, 09:05 PM

Judy, I think scoooteris talking about a completely new thermopane getting install in the old sash. My link 3 is a company who claims they pump out the air, inject a gas, install some little vale and bingo, good as new. I have never persopnally used them
    pro const Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 08:09 PM

If you have condensation between the glass then you need new glass. They didn't seal it right at the factory, it happens all the time. If you don't know who the contractor was that installed the windows, pull down the top sash and see if there's a sticker up there. It should say the manufacturers name. Call them up and give them the numbers on the sticker, it might still be covered, if not you can probably get a replacement that'll fit.
    scooter1955 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Judy, I think scoooteris talking about a completely new thermopane getting install in the old sash. My link 3 is a company who claims they pump out the air, inject a gas, install some little vale and bingo, good as new. i have never persopnally used them
    That is correct, that we change the whole insulated unit out. Most of the units we see come in that have failed look next to impossible to repair, since they have been failed for quite sometime and the mineral build up is pretty heavy.
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter1955 View Post
    That is correct, that we change the whole insulated unit out. Most of the units we see come in that have failed look next to impossible to repair, since they have been failed for quite sometime and the mineral build up is pretty heavy.

Right - the question was how to clear it up without replacing it and I thought that's what you were addressing.

Sorry.

Nov 5, 2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks for all replies.
    damonearl Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2011, 08:59 AM

DAMN! Nobody seems to know the fix for the fogged up windows.. I've been searching this all morning long, with no success in finding an answer. After much frustration, it all of a sudden came to me. It's as if a light turned on in my head. Now even though I could charge folks for this information, I won't. Here's the #1 answer.. Let the kids have some good ole batting practice, hitting the ball "towards" the house (window). It won't take long before you can, call your Insurance Company.. Problem Solved.. lol, lol... Just kidding..

I THINK I'LL JUST LIVE WITH THE FOGGED UP WINDOWS..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Insulated Duct [ 2 Answers ]

A family member is having the duct work replaced in her house. One company wants to use flexible insulated ducts which is much cheaper. Another company wants to install insulated metal ducts saying the flexible ducts are hard to clean and blow fiberglass into the house. I don't have...

Safety glasses and dust masks - dealing with fogged lenses [ 6 Answers ]

This is an unusual question. I'm really curious to know how most folks in the construction trades avoid the problem of fogged safety lenses. After trying several combination of glasses, goggles, and dust masks, I'm starting to think it's unusually bad for me. Maybe my eyes leak air as I breath, or...

Insulated Walls [ 2 Answers ]

I need specification on insulation of walls for a garbage room (needs to be around 10deg c) How the insulation can be done? What type of wall will be required for insulating it. Section details of the insulated wall.

Fogged mirrors [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the bathroom mirror become fogged while you are taking a shower?

Insulated sheathing boards [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had any experience with the polyisocyanurate foam sheathing boards ? I'm considering using one of the R4 rated .6" boards over a standard rigid wafer type sheathing before attach the fiber cement planked siding. Would a exterior wrap such as Permawrap also be helpful ? Can a wavy effect...

View more questions Search