Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamiejay03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2003, 03:01 PM
    Underweight cat
    My cat is extremely thin, and it is sickly how you can feel every bone in his back when you pet him. We feed him 2 times a day, but he doesn't eat it all. He is a picky eater, and he is lactose intolerant. He also gets sick when he eats seafood. Is there a safe way for him to gain weight?
    Aeris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2003, 11:34 AM
    underweight cat
    Luckily, recently I've had to deal with a severely underweight kitten. You can try making sure the cat gets nutrients with something like Tiny Tiger formula. It's kitten milk for orphaned ones, it's helped a good deal in the weight gain for our animals.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2003, 09:14 PM
    underweight cat
    No way do I know much about cats, but if it was a dog, I would get it to a vet.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Aug 22, 2003, 08:32 AM
    underweight cat
    First of all, How old is your cat? Is he a kitten or an older cat?

What food are you feeding? I HIGHLY recommend Iams Hairball or Iams Original for underweight cats. It has a high nutritive value and is much better than other store-bought foods. Stay away from foods such as Meow Mix, Deli Cat, Alley Cat, Cat Chow, etc. These foods have low nutritive value and are full of preservatives and fillers. They can also increase the likely-hood of crystal formation in the bladder which can be a life-threatening problem in male cats.

Stay away from canned foods except as treats. Canned food is 70 to 80% water and has low nutritive value as well.

Stick to one brand of cat food (Iams, preferably). Buying and feeding a different brand of cat food every time can cause intestinal upset, diarreah, vomiting, gas, etc. all of which can put your cat off his food.

Milk is a No-No for cats. They can't break down the large protein molecules and it can cause upset stomach and diarreah.

Eukanuba has a Maximum Calorie dry food available for safe weight gain available through veterinarians.

I strongly suggest you have the cat tested for Feline Leukemia (FeLV) and maybe have a CBC/Profile or at the very least a Profile run on your cat. If cat's don't eat well or at all, the liver can get fatty deposits. This causes the skin to turn yellow or orange and can be deadly if not treated.

In summary, get your cat tested for FeLV (which is a deadly virus and highly transmittable), have the vet do a lab Profile (chem 12), and get a high quality food like Iams and stick with it.

You can email me at [email protected] if you have more questions.

Regards,

Michelle :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please I need help!I'm underweight [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 17+ and I'm 5"2 79 lbs Is there any way that I can gain weight?. Please let me know Thanks

Underweight [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I'm pretty sure that I am underweight for my height, which is 5'7 feet amd I weight 105 pounds, ( just weighted myself) What can I do to gain weight fast? Am I anorexic or what? What can I do?

Underweight? [ 16 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 14, and I am about 5 foot 6. I think, compared to most people in my year at school that I am too skinny and underweight. I'm 8 stone, but I don't know what I should be. I done one of those online weight calculators and it said I should be ideally about 132 pounds. I know the obvious...

Underweight... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fren that is underweight... sometimes she feels sick and she always throw up in school... she once faint in school... my main question is: what healthy food do she need to it to make her weight balance? She don't want to be underweight... :confused: :(

Underweight cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 15 month old male cat who recently had a kidney infection and nearly died. He dropped from 6 to just over 4 pounds in about 10 days. He is much better and eating and drinking but he has gotten really picky on what he eats, he won't eat the dry food he ate for almost a year, he will...

View more questions Search