Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Halloween/harvest indoor door decorations
    My Mother in law is having a contest at her senior living apartments.
    The prize goes to the best decorated door for Halloween. The judging will be on the 30th, so she thinks it is about Halloween, but they did mention the Harvest holiday:confused:

I would love to hear your ideas of something we could make together for the door. This is the first time she has been excited about anything (with her apartment) since moving from her home in Skokie (Chicago area)

She doesn't expect to win, but wants to participate.

I'm going for the WIN!:D Please Help!:eek:
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Oct 18, 2009, 10:00 PM

How about a cornucopia on the door, you can decorate the vegs, fruit with little faces for halloween if you'd like. Of corse corn stalks on the sides of the door. Maybe a hay bale they're pretty cheap. Or paint a box to look like one, I did its not too hard. Or make the door look like the first thanksgiving, with indians and pillgrims. I don't know how far you want to go. Or take a picture of the inside of her house from the front door and blow it up and put in on the outside of the door and say welcome pillgrims! I know its corny but I thought it was cute. Sorry I couldn't help out more. Ps I'm in Indiana. Not too far from you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Hi, Just Dahlia!

Hmmm... Decorating for Holloween or for harvest could be entirely different things. Are both types of decorating okay?

Can you find out exactly what the decorating is for, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
    I think it is just for Halloween since it is due on the 30th. She is older and gets confused.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Oct 19, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Maybe you can make the door look like a chamber door. Put an ornate door knocker on the door, stick paper on it that looks like old wood, and put a fake raven on top of it. It would be very edgar allen poe-ish. :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 07:32 PM
    I'm thinking cheap, make yourself kind of thing. I think we can make anything, but it will be tossed after the holiday. I hate to waste too much money.
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 12:13 AM
    Hi again, Just Dahlia!

If you have leaves on trees where you are, that turn into brilliant colors in the fall, you could incorporate them into what you might make, with your mother-in-law, to put on the door.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, Just Dahlia!

If you have leaves on trees where you are, that turn into brilliant colors in the fall, you could incorporate them into what you might make, with your mother-in-law, to put on the door.

Thanks!
    I think I will add that too, but get fake ones at the Dollar Store.
    I printed up some free Antique Halloween labels today for gluing on old bottles... Poisen, Bat wings, Vampire blood snake oil etc. They look great! And found some ideas to make cheap specimen bottles.:)
    SandyWhite Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2009, 12:54 PM

How about like a witch has run into the door? Flatten out a witch hat, add cape and legs sticking out?
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Oct 25, 2009, 01:14 PM

maybe they mention 'harvest' for those who don't celebrate Halloween or wish to go for a Fall theme rather than just Halloween? Just a thought.

Lots of great ideas out there. How about creating a tree along the side of the door jam (brown paper, and lines of black marker to create natural lines) with the craft leaves branching off it onto the door? Then maybe some of that spider web stuff in the corner or above the door with spiders and a bat hanging down. I would also cut out a full moon...

I wish I had a picture of the Window painting contest I did back in high school- got 2nd place out of about 50! I love Halloween and being imaginative.. you should see my house all decked out for a halloween party tomorrow! =)

Best of wishes in getting First! Oh and lots of great craft ideas online! Can you sweeten the judges with orange cupcakes ;P
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 10:08 AM
    OK I finished everything and I'll post some picsa this afternoon.
    Thanks for all the suggestions!:D
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 02:13 PM
    That would be great, Just Dahlia!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 02:39 PM
    I straightened out the bottles, so they don't look like they are leaning and the 'specimens will grow in size after 48 hours, so they will fill the jars up more.:eek:

Name:  misc 002.jpg
Views: 3529
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  misc 004.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  misc 005.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  misc 007.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  misc 003.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  60.3 KB
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
    Hey, everything looks great, Just Dahlia! :)

Where did you get the free labels, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Free Printable Halloween Potion Bottle Labels - Free Printable Fun for Everyone

She has some great ideas.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 02:23 PM
    I'll check out the site!

Thanks, Just Dahlia!
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 09:57 AM
    We won 2nd place!:D:)

She is going to sneak down with her walker tonight and TP the 1st place winners door.:cool:
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2009, 12:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    We won 2nd place!:D:)

She is going to sneak down with her walker tonight and TP the 1st place winners door.:cool:
    Hey, better a placement than no placement at all! I'm sure that there was quite some competition! Congratulations!

That's funny about the TP thing! Did she do it?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper time to take down Holiday Decorations [ 16 Answers ]

When should one take down Christmas Lights and Decorations?

Homemade Aquarium Decorations [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you guys I'm soon going to start a fishtank and get a couple of African Dwarf Frogs. I really would like to have some nice decorations and hiding spots for them so, could anyone tell me how to make some nice homemade decorations. Also I've heard that lego structures are safe... Is this...

Christmas Office Door Decorations! [ 4 Answers ]

My office is having a Christmas Door Decorating contest and I'm looking for suggestions! Please help! It has to be done by the 18th of Dec for judging!:)

Wedding Decorations? [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help coming up with a good theme for my wedding decorations. I am getting married in August, probably outdoors and we are having a bbq for the reception. However, the dress code is still going to be at least semi-formal. I cannot stand the idea of doing the whole pink, purple, teal...

View more questions Search