Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawtyyxo Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Can't download anything!
    I try to download, and it usually gives me the option of "save" or "run" and I click run. It downloads, really fast, but then the box goes away and nothing happens. I have tried clicking save, but it doesn't save to anywhere on my laptop. I use Windows Vista. I have tried downloading Firefox, but it won't even let me download that. I don't know how to fix it, and if anyone could tell me, It would be greatly appreciated!
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 18, 2009, 11:06 AM

Evening,

When you click save or run program, do you see the file being deposited into a file onto your hard drive?

If you have a window open up which shows you the download happening, right click to open up File Location

COme back to me if this is not possible

Oct 18, 2009, 11:41 AM

It won't allow me to see the file loaction. When I try to download, it shows the file icon while it's downloading, but it won't let me see what file loaction it's going into. When I tried searching my laptop for it, it came up as nothing.

Oct 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phlanx View Post
    Evening,

When you click save or run program, do you see the file being deposited into a file onto your harddrive?

If you have a window open up which shows you the download happening, right click to open up File Location

COme back to me if this is not possible
    It won't allow me to see the file loaction. When I try to download, it shows the file icon while it's downloading, but it won't let me see what file loaction it's going into. When I tried searching my laptop for it, it came up as nothing.

Oct 18, 2009, 12:34 PM

You stated you are using Firefox as the browser, click on Tools and select options

The Main screen will state where the downloads are going

What directory is this stating?

Oct 18, 2009, 12:44 PM
    You stated you are using Firefox as the browser, click on Tools and select options

The Main screen will state where the downloads are going

What directory is this stating?
    No, Im not using Firefox. I tried downloading it to see if that would help. But, it wouldn't download that either.

Oct 18, 2009, 01:01 PM

Hahhaa, Im laughing with you :)

What explorer are you using?

Oct 18, 2009, 01:04 PM
    hahhaa, Im laughing with you :)

What explorer are you using?
    Lol it's just windows internet explorer.

Oct 18, 2009, 01:14 PM

Okay then, just had to revisit explorer and refrsh myself with how it works

When you have downloaded a program or file, if the file attachment is recognised it will download, and then move it to the attached area

If it doesn't know what to do it will ask you at the point of asking you if you want to save and then you select the directory you wish to place the file in

Is this happening? also how much of your hardrive capacity is used up?

Oct 18, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Okay then, just had to revisit explorer and refrsh myself with how it works

When you have downloaded a program or file, if the file attachment is recognised it will download, and then move it to the attached area

If it doesnt know what to do it will ask you at the point of asking you if you want to save and then you select the directory you wish to place the file in

Is this happening?, also how much of your hardrive capacity is used up?
    After I press run, it downloads. It shows that it's completed and then exits the box. Nothing happens after that.
    I have 38.1 GB free still.

Oct 18, 2009, 01:46 PM

Have you tried pressing save instead? At this point a window should pop up and ask you where you would like to save it

Oct 18, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Have you tried pressing save instead? At this point a window should pop up and ask you where you would like to save it
    I have tried pressing save. The window pops up and I selected where I wanted it to go, but when I looked it wasn't there.

Oct 18, 2009, 01:51 PM

What are you trying to download?

All I can assume is, it has downloaded after you clicked saved and then windows has sent the file somewhere else, or it simply isn't downloading

Let me know what you are trying to download and I will try do to the same here and see what happens

Oct 18, 2009, 02:03 PM
    What are you trying to download?

All I can assume is, it has downloaded after you clicked saved and then windows has sent the file somewhere else, or it simply isnt downloading

Let me know what you are trying to download and I will try do to the same here and see what happens
    I've been trying to download MSN and Firefox.

Oct 18, 2009, 02:07 PM

If you are trying to download a program then you must select save

It doesn't make sense that these two programs are not downloading an installer prior to the main installation, which pop up on your desktop ready for use, unless you have selected a different location to place these files in

Do you have the url location of the Firefox and msn you are trying to download?

Oct 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
    If you are trying to download a program then you must select save

It doesnt make sense that these two programs are not downloading an installer prior to the main installation, which pop up on your desktop ready for use, unless you have selected a different location to place these files in

Do you have the url location of the firefox and msn you are trying to download?
    Essentials - Windows Live
    Firefox Browser | Faster & Safer Internet | Free Download

Oct 18, 2009, 02:33 PM

I am just downlaoding from IE the Firefox program

I use Firefox but it has been a while

The window popped up and asked me to save/run

I selected Save and it let me choose the location

There is a tick box which allows you to close the window when download done - make sure this is unticked so it stays open when download is complete

It then asks me to either run program or open folder - AT THIS point choose open folder and find the file

Can you try this is I have done it - this is purely working through the procedure to locate when the problem occurs

Come back to me when done

Oct 18, 2009, 02:37 PM
    I am just downlaoding from IE the firefox program

I use firefox but it has been a while

The window popped up and asked me to save/run

I selected Save and it let me choose the location

There is a tick box which allows you to close the window when download done - make sure this is unticked so it stays open when download is complete

It then asks me to either run program or open folder - AT THIS point choose open folder and find the file

Can you try this is I have done it - this is purely working through the procedure to locate when the problem occurs

Come back to me when done
    It doesn't give me the option to run or open folder. It comes up as 'run' or 'don't run'. I tried clicking both of them to see what it did. Both options just exit and then nothing else comes up.

Oct 18, 2009, 02:44 PM

All I can think of now is a user setting which prevents you from downloading certain programs, do you have user settings/adminstrator settings in use?

It is strange that you cannot open file location suggesting that it hasn't downloaded

Apart from that I am afraid I am out of ideas for you mate

Oct 18, 2009, 02:50 PM

I have administrator settings, but what would I change them to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't download ANYTHING [ 5 Answers ]

My computer won't let me download anything even when I cutomize my internet options to enable downloads

Avg download [ 6 Answers ]

Downloaded AVG and it shows up in "my documents" but it will not open. Aj.

Can't download DSL [ 3 Answers ]

I am hooked up to DSL with a main computer connected to a 4 port (hard wire) router, from which I am currently running a second computer and intend a third. When I plugged in the third unit, I was able to access the Internet through DSL. Because of all the junk on the third unit, I decided to...

I can't Download [ 1 Answers ]

Something is wrong with my software. It will not download anything. I had this software called Internet Download Manager. I have a Windows XP. So, what should I do? Pleas Help Me!! :confused:

Can't download ANYTHING! [ 13 Answers ]

My computer has just recovered from a problem in which was solved by the removing of display drivers. While I doubt that shouldn't affect my downloading, I can't think of anything that is wrong with my computer for it to be as such. Now I can't even download new drivers. I need help!! :( ...

View more questions Search