Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    9665 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2009, 09:42 AM
    More physics 11- forces
    When you drop a 0.40kg apple, earth exerts a force on it that accelerates it at 9.8m/s squared toward earths surface. According to newtons third law, the apple must exert an equal and opposite force on earth. If the mass of earth is 5.98 times 10 to the power of 24 kg, what is the magnitude of earths acceleration?

The answer is supposed to be 6.6 times 10 to the power of -25m/s squared.

Thank you very much to whoever can answer this! :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 10:37 AM

Well, use Newton's first law to solve it, together with his third law.

Make use of

The first force (on apple) is given by

The second force (on Earth) is given by

Using the third law,

You therefore have:

Solve for a, the acceleration of the Earth! :)

I hope it helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics 11: forces [ 1 Answers ]

I'm really stuck on this problem. The answer is supposed to be 3.3m/s squared A 10.0 kg mass, m1, on a frictionless table is accelerated by a 5.0kg mass hanging over the edge of the table. What is the acceleration of the mass along the table?

Physics forces that are frictionless [ 1 Answers ]

The horizontal surface on which the block of mass 2.7 kg slides is frictionless. The force of 38N acts on the block in a horizontal direction. The force is 76N acts on the block at an angle of 60 degrees. The accleration of gravity is 9.8m/2. What is the magnitude of the resulting accleration of...

Physics forces during turn [ 3 Answers ]

Why bikers bend during turn

Physics forces [ 2 Answers ]

Alrite in my g.11 3u course Im kind of lost. Here are some word problems that I have the answer key to but I have no idea how to get the answer... if anyone can help id be very grateful 1, a shell of mass 1.00 kg is discharged with a speed of 4.5 * 102 m/s from a gun having a barrel of length...

View more questions Search