Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsgill76 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 10:33 PM
    Winlogon.exe has encountered an error and needed to close
    Whenever a I try to scan with skybot (current version) this error comes up:

Winlogon.exe could not read the memory at... (some numbers)

Click OK to terminate the program.
    Click Cancel to debug the program.

No matter if I debug or terminate the program, the error comes up again. I
    Have to Force ShutDown the computer and then when I reboot it and log onto
    Any user account, it says:

Winlogon.exe has encountered an error and needed to close (the usual error
    Reporting thing)

And when I send te report to Microsoft (or Don't Send) it reappears again.
    It is so annoying that it takes 3 restarts to get it to go away.

Can anyone know how to fix this?

Kind Regards,
    Thanks.
    Gurpreet S. Gill
    twistedps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Description:
    Winlogon.exe is a process belonging to the Windows login manager. It handles the login and logout procedures on your system. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: winlogon.exe is a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

I would suggest to be safe pulling out your windows xp disc...
    If you boot from the disc (put the disc in, reboot the computer, when it asks to boot from cd hit enter)...
    You will be brought to the setup
    Hit enter to install windows... (dont hit R to repair!) it will scan your drive for windows installations...
    You will see that you have an NTFS partiton installed on your C: drive, select this partition and hit repair on the partition... windows will go through and replace all the vital system files and will leave your system in tact! After the 'install/repair' is done, you will be able to log into windows again and it should be fixed.. . if this seems to complicated you can try system restore...

Go to start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> system restore... select a previous date for the system restore to restore to and it SHOULD work for you.

Hope this helps.
    gsgill76 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 10:30 PM
    Thanks twistedps
    I will make a try, but will you conform that my data will not be lost in this process? Then only I will go for this option, as I have a lot of (neede one)data on my C Drive. One more question, my C partition is FAT not the NTFS still this will work(as you said you will see the NTFS partition) for me?

Regards,
    Thanks.
    Gurpreet S. Gill
    jrammouz Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 08:52 AM

DID you solve the issue? I am facing the same problem, can you help me? But I don't have the xp cd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prism3d.exe error [ 7 Answers ]

My kids purchase Unlimited Hunting 3 for my birthday, and when I try to run it it comes up with this error, please advise

Isass.exe.system error [ 10 Answers ]

Hi When I turn on my p.c. it starts to load up then half way through loading xp a error message comes up saying issas.exe.systemerror. And when I click OK on this box the p.c resets itself and does it again, is there anyway of sorting this please thank you

Dwwin.exe error on shut down [ 2 Answers ]

I keep receiving an error when I try to log off... the error says it's in dwwin.exe can anyone tell me what's going on?

Explorer.exe-Application Error [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Dell Dimension E510 w/Windows XP. I recently converted from Norton Antivirus to SpySweeper and then I've been try to use the Microsoft Defender II antivirus program to protect my computer. Somewhere in the transition I got several infections and now I get an application error...

Winlogon.exe [ 9 Answers ]

Hey I really need help my damn comp sux... ok it goes so slow b-coz winlogon is using its cpu... I heard it mayb virus how do I fix the damn problem... Someone please help me!! I did a search for winlogon and found 2 files with same name in different places though... could one of these be the...

View more questions Search