Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimmer91k Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Disabled and In DEBT!
    I am disabled and have over $50,000 in debt. (Repossesed car, medical bills, credit card bills and student loan). I need to file for bankruptcy. How do I determine what will be covered? I was told student loans can not be on bankruptcy. Since I'm permanently disabled, do I qualify for chapter 7? Is there any agency that helps people in my situation pay for bankruptcy attorney? Or any agency that will provide free legal advice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 09:57 AM

Disabled has nothing to do wiwth qualify for chapter 7, it has to do with debt to income ratio and the amount of equity in specific items.

You may check with the legal aid society of your local area, also most offer payment plans
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 10:15 AM

No, student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2009, 10:39 PM

Are you on disability payments such as SSI or SSDI? Or similar? Generally, they are not garnishable, so none of your debts can be collected, even if the creditors obtained a judgment. The exception is the student loans, a percentage of your disability income can be garnished to pay the student loans.

And if you have other income, that would be garnishable as well. But if your only source of income is disability payments, you are collection proof with the exception of the student loans. Since you will still have to pay the student loans with Chapter 7, should you even bother with it?

Legal Aid may be able to assist you, so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

DEBT! What should I do debt consolidation,debt settlement bankruptcy (kind of long) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello to everyone :) I've been reding on here and seen the great questions asked and answered, and thought I'd ask a few questions. Ok so here is my situation, I have total about 35k worth the credit card debt (3 cards, amex 20k, visa 5k and another visa 10K), a 12k car loan and a house in WA....

Can disabled lady go to jail over credit card debt? [ 9 Answers ]

My mother is a disabled 49 year old lady. She has no job and her only means of money is a small SSI check. She also receives a small amount of food stamps. She has a court date in August over credit card debt. The debt owed is 4,100.00. She had promised to pay the company 25.00 a month on the debt...

View more questions Search