Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 3, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Keeping custody in North Texas
    I have joint custody with my ex but the children reside with me. We just finished mediation and he did not do too well. He asked the mediator (a former judge) how to get the children when they turn 12. He bascially told him how to be a dad. Now he is visiting when he is supposed to and he is calling them frequently. Which does not upset me, it is about time he took them on his weekend and he communicates with them. But does anyone know the statistics or reasons the "court" would give them to him when they turn 12? Is it that easy? I heard the children will have to have their own attorney as well to represent them. They are 9 and 11 both boys. I did not know if this is like "high risk" that I would loose them or does the children have a greater chance staying the mother? Are there specific things I need to worry about that would "make" me lose my children (I do not use drugs, smoke or have a drinking prob. Nor have I ever).

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 4, 2006, 05:39 PM
    But does anyone know the statistics or reasons the "court" would give them to him when they turn 12? Is it that easy? I heard the children will have to have their own attorney as well to represent them
    If you are looking for stastics then this website can be of help... http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/
    For your other questions
    I heard the children will have to have their own attorney as well to represent them
    ... the court will give children a attorney... if one is needed... that attorney is usually from the Child Protective Services... your child has the right to determine whom they want to live with mommy or daddy... the courts will give attention to their answers... and yes... the moral fiber of the parent is considered in determining who will keep the child...
    ? Are there specific things I need to worry about that would "make" me lose my children (I do not use drugs, smoke or have a drinking prob. Nor have I ever).
    The only thing you have to worry about is not being a good parent... keep the good work going with your boys and keep the lines open between daddy and sons... boys usually love mommy and feel they need to stay and protect mommy... but the needs in associating with daddy is a challenge... do not worry much on the topic... doing so will make you sick... just love your boys no matter what

By the way in searching for information about your question I ran across this sites...
    http://www.peak.org/~jedwards/70cust.htm...
    http://www.familykb.com/Uwe/Forum.as...little-contest
    Hope this is of some help...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

North American Union [ 17 Answers ]

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=14965 In my opinion, the only way to end many of our current problems such as immigration, is to open all borders and creat a North American Union. Canada, America and Mexico become all one country. My question is, what will we gain and what...

Child custody in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the process of going through a divorce. We have 2 children and have agreed that one child will live with me and the other child will live with her with visitation rights for each parent for the other child. We have done an uncontested divorce on-line and have just received our paperwork...

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

Moving to the Great White North... maybe [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé and I are thinking of moving to Northern Canada next fall to make some money. I'm wondering if it is possible to do this AND take my animals... we won't go without them. I have no idea where I would even get information to do this kind of thing. And has anybody lived in a place with...

North Dakota [ 1 Answers ]

I'm writing a book that takes place in North Dakota, near Bismarck. Any information about the area would be helpful, like the landscape, climate, and especially the dialect... What kind of accent do people there have, and what slang do they use, etc. Thanks!

View more questions Search