Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greeniec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Epilepsy & Sex
    I heard that some anti-seizure meds can affect one's sex life? (I'm taking lamictal)
    I heard that epileptic women often have sexual difficulties? Is this true?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Not all women who have epilepsy suffer from sexual dysfunction. Some do, yes. If you encounter some problems, please go back to your doctor. There may other underlying conditions or perhaps a medication change. I have worked with several women who have epilepsy and only one of them ever said anything about having sexual difficulties. So it is not the norm. Best of health to you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 3, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Lamotrigine (Lamictal) is not known to cause sexual dysfunction in either men or women. You lucked out, this is not a drug that has sexual side-effects.
    Jualsy Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

May 31, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Take half a teaspoon of Epsom salts in half a glass of orange juice every morning and the epieptic fits will stop.
    I had a friend with continuous grand mal and it worked from her first dose, I then dealt with children and it worked all the time, I gave a talk at a clinic, and the doctors were interested... but the Epilepsy Society didn't seem to want to give it any credence!!

Epilepsy is due to a locak of magnesium. Epsom Salts puts that right.
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Jualsy, with all due respect, where did you get this information other than a friend. Am I right in assuming you have done extensive medical research on this?

If epilepsy were in fact a lack of magnesium, don't you think the doctors would just prescribe magnesium?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by greeniec
    I heard that some anti-seizure meds can affect one's sex life? (I'm taking lamictal)
    I heard that epileptic women often have sexual difficulties? Is this true?
    No, most anti seizure medication does not effect ones sex life.

Sexual diffulties in what way? It is a known fact that there may be trouble with regular periods and a more diffulcult time becoming pregnant. These are all possibilities.

As far as sex life. Epilepsy and self confidence goes hand in hand. Especially women with epilepsy needs to feel secure and happy and relaxed. It is especially important. Many women experience self esteem issues as a result of the epilepsy and needs to have an understanding partner and loving partner.

Self esteem is effected with epilepsy, If any dysfunction occurs in ones sex life it is more of a mental, emotional situation then medicine.

Now for the facts.

My wife and I enjoy great sex. She has epilepsy, she is on medication. Does not stop her or I from having great experiences and a good sex life together.

Plus we have been pregnant twice in the past 2 years. So that goes to show you that medications does not effect ones sex life, or even having a family.

Joe

May 31, 2007, 02:20 PM
    I have studied alternative cures for over 30 years and it has certainly turned my life around.
    My friend did not stop taking her medication... which wasn't working... after having not one single attack after taking the Epsom salts she told her doctor she was fine. He told her if she didn't stop the "nonsense" he would strike her off his books... she stopped taking it and the fits came back.
    As for doctors wanting the best for us... did you not realise that every drug is a poison??
    Did you not realise that the drug companies are lobbying the medical profession and the politicians 24/7. We are trapped in a system that is cash led, and no one gives a damn.

I am so glad to have had my eyes opened many years ago. My father died as a direct result of prescribed medication... I pressed onwards with my studies in alternative treatments since then.
    Have a look in mercola.com and see what Doctor Mercola has to say about some of the things going on... the more research you do, the more it makes you realise what corruption abounds in the world.

I was where you are once... believed in everything to be good, and trusted everything in authority... I have made my choice now and I have to prove things myself.

There IS a cure for epilepsy and there IS a cure for cancer... its been around for 35 years... why don't the doctors tell us that??

Onwards and upwards!
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Sorry, but epilepsy has been in my wife since she was 9 months old. There was trauma when she was born to the head from forcep use. Damage done to the brain. Most seizures most epilepsy is caused do to some or certain parts of the brain that had been damaged.

As far as medications are concerned it has been a life saver for my wife and I would hate to see her if she was not taking the medicine. My wife and myself always hoped for quick fixes so there are no more pills and no more seizures. I pray that one day that will happen but the risk is too great for her to stop taking the medication even to try something else. Unless supervised very closely by doctors. My wife, would be in danger and our baby.

Joe

May 31, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Don't stop taking the medication... I wouldn't recommend that. The magnesium will make a difference anyway.
    I understand where you are coming from.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:35 PM
    I will check the site out. Thank you for your understanding. Joe
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Oh boy, how can I chuff this in the best possible way? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jualsy
    I have studied alternative cures for over 30 years and it has certainly turned my life around.
    While this may be very good for you, and many people, it is certainly not good for everyone. There are also certain dangers involved with some alternative therapies that some people may or may not be aware of.

she stopped taking it and the fits came back.
    I believe you mean seizures.

As for doctors wanting the best for us....did you not realise that every drug is a poison???
    Is that the case? Really? Well, then poisons keep millions of people alive on a daily basis.

Did you not realise that the drug companies are lobbying the medical profession and the politicians 24/7.
    This may be partially truthful, however, without the drugs that the drug companies are lobbying for we would have epidemics/pandemics.

My father died as a direct result of prescribed medication.....
    This is very possible and it does happen at times. However, it is not as common as one would think.

Have a look in mercola.com
    I did, and I am not impressed. You realize that anyone can create a website and promote anything, don't you. I am hesitant about snake oil salesmen.

I was where you are once....believed in everything to be good, and trusted everything in authority.....I have made my choice now and I have to prove things myself.
    I was there once too, and while not all doctors and medicines are for everyone, we must take a proactive role in our own health.

There IS a cure for epilepsy and there IS a cure for cancer.....its been around for 35 years....why don't the doctors tell us that???
    This is the quote that bothered me the most. If there is a cure, why aren't these diseases cured? I have had cancer and the only cure for mine was surgery and chemotherapy. I am now 10 years free of cancer and considered cured. If I followed anything that you or Dr. Mercola preached, I would be dead by now. Believe me, I have done my research prior to my multiple surgeries to rid my body of cancer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asking someone if they have already had sex. [ 12 Answers ]

I wanted to know if its okay to ask the person your dating if they ever had sex before. Some say it's none of your business, but I kind of feel that with the problem of STDs and stuff it is appropriate that this question be asked. Am I wrong or right? If I should ask then how should I do it so I...

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Sex [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I'm a teenage girl and wow do I have a problem. Ok so there have been guys I like and all that and then the first guy I thought I loved, I had sex with. Now here's where the problem starts: So I've been with way too many people after him and it's like I can't say no. I don't know what's...

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Sex [ 2 Answers ]

Please help, my wife and I have been married for eight years and we love each other very much. I have this worry; she experiences frigidity. She hardly feels like making love, though I try my best to arrouse and stimulate her. Is there any thing I can do to make her have sexual urges, is there any...

View more questions Search