Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
    No line bifocals
    Well, I just finally got my no line bifocals... yes, I'm officially an old lady now. :p

How long will it take to adjust to them? I also can't seem to use them when on the computer. Is this part of the adjustment process also?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 05:37 PM
    J_9 an old lady! Never! :)

I've had no-line bifocal glasses for many years, now. It took me a matter of a few days to adjust to them. But, I'm extremely near-sighted and have a lot of astigmatism.

I'm sure that it's an individual thing as far as how long it will take to adjust. Plus, it might also make a difference if the person is near or far-sighted, as concerns the adjustment period.

Frequently, I'm around a lot of older musicians. They usually have bifocals. They're constantly taking them off in order to read music. Sometimes, they put on other types of glasses that are just for reading in order to do that. I haven't gotten to the point of having to use another pair of glasses just for reading.

I also have hard contact lenses. One is for near-vision and the other is for far-vision. I like them much better than the glasses because my vision is so much better using them. It will get to the point though, where I'll eventually just have to wear glasses because the prescriptions for each contact will be so far apart, that the only way to see well, will be to use glasses.

As far as using your bifocals while using the computer, you should be able to notice a difference by the way that you tilt your head. You might just have to undo an old habit and make a new one!

How is your sight while using the computer, if you don't use the glasses, please?

Thanks!
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:01 PM
    My sight while using the computer is fairly well without the glasses. Unfortunately, most of my work is done in the dark and on a computer. Night shift L&D nurses work quite a bit in the dark as most of our patients are sleeping and we do our charting on a computer at their bedside.

So far I'm experiencing a major headache and have to keep taking my glasses off. I do, however, notice a difference in the farsightedness (I am nearsighted as well) and colors seem to be more vibrant.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:09 PM

I have computer glasses that I can't use for anything else.
    If I tried to read with them,I am blind.
    They are MY COMPUTER glasses(in caps because when I lose them I go crazy)
    And I don't understand it myself.
    They are a much lower number and so my suggestion would be get a lower reading glass thing,see if that works or just stay with what works on the comp.
    That's all I can do !
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
    I'll try that Artsy, thanks. I had store bought reading glasses, but they quit working over the past year. I can't do my paper charting without them.

I'm hoping this is all part of the adjustment period.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:16 PM

I work in a library (perusing shelves up and down) and do cataloging (detailed work) at a computer, and had very little trouble adjusting. In fact, I was amazed at how much clearer and easier it all was. The eye doctor was very careful though where the bifocal line went on the lenses, so I wouldn't have to keep removing my glasses when going between near and far vision.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    My sight while using the computer is fairly well without the glasses. Unfortunately, most of my work is done in the dark and on a computer. Night shift L&D nurses work quite a bit in the dark as most of our patients are sleeping and we do our charting on a computer at their bedside.

So far I'm experiencing a major headache and have to keep taking my glasses off. I do, however, notice a difference in the farsightedness (I am nearsighted as well) and colors seem to be more vibrant.
    Gees ,I pressed something before I had a chance to finish.
    I suspect it is something akin to night blindness.
    I can not watch TV in a room without light.
    Can you?
    That puts a strain on the eyes I think,at least for me it does.

You're a nurse,you will be fine ,you know how to fix things.
    Have you seen Mercy? I like it,I also liked Jackie but its over with now.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
    I will have to see how it works tomorrow night at work. I've only had them for a few hours now, so I'm still trying to get used to them. I don't seem to have the problems going up and down stairs like they told me I might.

Maybe it's just because I haven't put on real prescription glasses in over 8 years (I was taking a medication that had the side effect of clearing my vision, but I'm not taking that anymore).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
    I will have to see how it works tomorrow night at work. I've only had them for a few hours now, so I'm still trying to get used to them. I don't seem to have the problems going up and down stairs like they told me I might.

Maybe it's just because I haven't put on real prescription glasses in over 8 years (I was taking a medication that had the side effect of clearing my vision, but I'm not taking that anymore).
    It sounds like it will just take a little time to get used to them. Perhaps I should send you a pea-green t-shirt to help relax you?
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It sounds like it will just take a little time to get used to them. Perhaps I should send you a pea-green t-shirt to help relax you?
    Oh Oh send me one :)
    I love the color but I am allergic to peas.
    It should be called earth green ;) in my crazy little world.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Perhaps I should send you a pea-green t-shirt to help relax you?
    Isn't the pea green shirt all worn out about now?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Isn't the pea green shirt all worn out about now?
    I wear it only on high holy days.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
    I wear it only on high holy days.
    So, it's a holy shirt then right?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
    So, it's a holy shirt then right?
    Well, okay. A wholly holey holy shirt. I'll mend before I send.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 08:01 PM

Yes, adjustment time varies per person/length of glasses use/everyday life...

Did you put them on as soon as you got them? It usually best to put them on first thing in the morning when your eyes and brain are well rested. That way you can easily adjust to them throughout the day.

Wearing them using the stairs may be tricky for the first few days. It may seem as if the stairs are coming back at you. Just hold on and get used to it.

Also driving might not be the best idea wearing them the first day or so. It would be best to wear them all day (after rest) around the house or work...

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your progressives/no-line bifocals/blended lenses.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Actually I DID put them on as soon as I got them around 4 this afternoon.

So are you saying I should take them off and start fresh in the morning after sleep?

My eyes are really hurting as well as my head.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 08:30 PM

So are you saying I should take them off and start fresh in the morning after sleep?

Take them off now!! Give your eyes a rest! Wear them starting in the morning, like CM said, and take them off again if you get a headache.

Once I had to have my lenses reground because the lab goofed up on the prescription.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 08:54 PM

That's exactly what you should do...
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Okay they are off now. Won't put them on again till in the morning.

So, I should take them off when I get a headache? And how long before I should put them on again?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 09:10 PM

OK, glasses off, that fuzzy thing in front of you is the key board.

Also remember that with bi focal, you are having to learn to do things like tilt head to see out of bottom part to read things at some angles.

Also I found that, at least with my vision, those things about 2 or 3 foot out are not always focused in either, reason I went to a tri focal latter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a line in ryobi weedwhacker (dual line head) [ 1 Answers ]

What steps do I need to take to re-line my ryobi weed whacker. The spool has two positions for the line, which way am I to line the spool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Utilizing a clothes washer line for an icemaker water line [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! A few years ago, I moved my washer/dryer from an inside washer/dryer inset located in my kitchen into the garage. I turned this area into a pantry and left both the hot and cold water valves protruding from the wall, as well as the 220 for the electric dryer. I'm tearing out the...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search