Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedMorePower Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
    How do you split a circuit in a house?
    My house was built in 1950 and the electrical components were upgraded at some point before I bought it. The house is 1 1/2 stories and the top floor is all one room and there are 4 outlets. When there is a computer, a window air conditioner, and other miscellaneous smaller items (alarm clock, curling iorn which is off, etc.) plugged in, the circuit blows. A few outlets in the living room, and the lights and one or two outlets in the basement are also on the same circuit and go out too.

I believe the circuit is a 15 amp

It seems strange to me that there are outlets on each level on the same circuit. It is only a problem in the summer while the air conditioner is running, but I would really like to fix the problem. Is there an easy way to split the circuit so the air conditioner can have one, the upstiars room can have one, and the other outlets can be on one?

Thanks for your advice!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Install a new dedicated circuit for any air conditioner. This will "split up" circuits.

The circuits you mention that take care of different levels are considered as General Purpose Lighting Circuits. Back then one circuit could serve many rooms. Nowadays we will install more circuits so that not so many rooms are on one circuit.
    lowmax3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 11:26 AM

I believe I read somewhere on this site that you should have a separate circuit for a window air conditioner because it draws a lot of amp...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making an extension cord to connect a 240 generator circuit to a 240 house circuit. [ 10 Answers ]

How doo you wire a 4 wire 240 volt plug for a generator to a 3 wire 240 volt house circuit. Thank you... Guy

Selling my house after a split [ 1 Answers ]

I have split up with my partner. I want to sell the house and move on but my partner will not sell, we only had the property 2 years. What can I do?

Will says sell mom's house and split between children is this cash taxable? $66,700 [ 4 Answers ]

I have gone through the probate court and paid all of my mother's bills and anything she owed to anyone. Her will stated her home must be sodl and the money be split between her four children. We sold her home at full appraisal value and are now ready to split the money between her four...

Must I, by law, sell my (our) house in a divorce split? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband (no, my name is not dennis, I am a female.. don't know what got into me with this log in name! ).. - is threatening to serve me papers, and that I MUST agree to sell our house (so he can go off and buy another one in another (cheap) state.. and I, will undoubtedly get screwed, as where...

Can the main electric line coming into the house be split? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an underground line from the meter to our house. We have added a new Living area. Can we dig down and split the main line to come into the house at a different location for the new addition?

View more questions Search