Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackberry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2003, 01:31 PM
    Buying a puppy
    Hello,

I'm a college student and I'm moving out to stay in a dorm next month. But I'm scared to live alone and I was thinking of getting a puppy. I'm a dog lover and I always wanted a dog of my own. My boyfriend promised to buy me a Chihuahua puppy for Christmas. But I'm worried that when I won't have time for the puppy she would be left alone. Is it okay if I leave a puppy alone sometimes? Or should I just not get one and buy small pets instead like hamsters?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2003, 05:19 PM
    buying a puppy
    The first issue is will you be allowed to have any pet in the dorm. I occasionally take my dog guide to be puppies on college campuses. Usually we are besieged by dog deprived students who can;' t have their dog at school. Even much of you off campus housing forbids dogs.

If you can find housing that allows dogs, maybe it will work. Dogs do fine with couples that both work. It is not how much time they are left alone, but how much time you spend without. Students need to spend a great deal of time studying, which can be in your room with your dog. Five minutes playing with it, and then back to work, will be good for both of you.

I am glad you are planing ahead. Dogs are a 24/7 thing for 10 - 20 years. A big commitment for a young person. See http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. It might be better to start with an older dog. Your shelters slaughter them every day for lack of a good home. Little puppies need frequent, fast trips outside, and meals at 3 regular times each day. An older dog can be fed once a day in the morning or evening.

If you do decide to get a dog, come back for help with it. I have lots of experience with little puppies. I can help you make it work. Steer your boyfriend away from pet store puppies, they are often puppy mill puppies with both physical and emotional defects.
    dutchwolf Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2003, 06:14 PM
    buying a puppy
    Hi,
    You can quit easily train a puppy to be alone for longer time, when you spend enough attention to him when you're there. I think the first important thing you shloud consider is what kind of dog you want to purchase. Chi hua hua's is not known for the fast potty-training...
    It are also dogs that bark easily. So the first thing to do is to get yourself informed about the kind of dog you want and what your expectation with the dog are.
    I can give you advise on all kinds of breeds, I am not a breeder myself.
    Succes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Buying condoms [ 18 Answers ]

When you are at a shop to buy condom pack... n so many people standing there... how will you ask the shopkeepwe to avoid embrassement

Buying new monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking to buy a new PC monitor which I want to use mainly for games and videos, I've checked all over but can't seem to find a decent one. I'm looking for a 20" widescreen lcd with a prefforable resolution of around 1600 1200, anyone knowledged on monitors please help as I am not. Thank you

Buying a used pool [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a used pool from someone and want to know if tearing it down and then putting it back up will some how damage the pool. I will have to buy a new liner the guy said. It is a 24' by 48 above ground. Thanks for any information I guess Im wondering if I should just buy a new pool and...

Buying a new old mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a friend that is selling a walk behind 33" cut mulching mower to me. It has a 8.5hp engine on it and double blades. The make is a Troy Built, but I don't know the model. It looks like a heavy duty front cut with the caster wheels. I'd like to know more about this mower and a fair...

Buying a House [ 3 Answers ]

So my husband and I put an offer on a house. Since that time we have had the inspection and appraisal. Today we found out that not only was the previous owner letting his son stay there, but that there is actual damage caused by this person. What course of action do I have in this matter? Should or...

View more questions Search