Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Oct 16, 2009, 06:46 AM
    First time homebuyer tax credit with unmarried couple
    I do some pretty easy, straight forward tax returns for some of my friends. One of them recently bought a house and I told him it would be better to claim the first time homebuyer tax credit by amending his 2008 return instead of waiting to receive it when he files for 2009. This is pretty straight forward, I actually did it for myself this year. However, he purchased the house jointly with his girlfriend, so I am not exactly sure how to go about getting the credit since they do not file together. Can one of them claim the credit on their amended 2008 return, or do they have to split it since they cannot file jointly? Also, for their 2009 returns, could I just claim the household deductions (mortgage interest, property tax, etc.) on whoever's return it would benefit more? Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
    They split the Credit, with each getting $4,000 on their own individual amended return. This assumes that the house ownership is 50-50.

On their 2009 returns, they also split the mortgage interest and property tax deduction based on the ownership percentage.

Oct 18, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for your response, but is it possible for one of them to just claim the credit and future deductions? I ran it by them and they just want to keep it simple. Thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Negative; the house will be in BOTH of their names and thus the credit must be split equally.

Now, when it comes to the property taxes and mortgage interest, if only ONE of them pays the mortgage payment and/or property taxes, then that one person can claim ALL of the deduction.

If they share these expenses, then they need to claim the deductions based on the percentage of their payment.

Oct 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Got you, thanks for your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fisrt time homebuyer tax credit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, My husband and I came to U.S. last year. We both are holding H1-B visa, but my husband has signed a tax treaty document so he doesn't pay tax while I have to pay tax. Are we eliglible to receive the tax credit for the first-time homebuyer? Thanks. Lu

First-Time Homebuyer Credit with Not a US Citizen TWIST [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in USA for 6 years now. For TAX purposes, I am treated as a U.S. resident. Filing regular 1040 and stuff. I am now on H1B since Feb 2009. I saw that non residents are not eligible for First-Time Home buyer credit and it's a little confusing. Under the subject, are we talking about...

Resident or not? First time homebuyer credit [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have two questions for the tax expert... First question: I hold an H1-B visa since October 2007 ( I am in the process of getting my green card)and I stayed for most of 2008 in the U.S. Thus, I am pretty sure that I meet the presence test and I can file as an U.S. resident. However, I am...

First time homebuyer credit [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house with my fiancé in may 2008 it is my first home he was in the process of selling his condo at the time we got married in Nov 2009 - both of our names are on the house ( my maiden name since we were not married at the time of purchase) Can I still get the $3750...

1st Time Homebuyer Credit [ 7 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a home and expect to close sometime in March. Can we file our 2008 taxes now and then file an amended return after closing to claim our 2008 First Time Homebuyer's credit?

View more questions Search