Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Right wing, despicable, UNAMERICAN behavior!
    Hello:

A group of House Republicans is calling for an investigation into whether a leading American Muslim advocacy group tried to "spy" on congressional offices by placing interns on key security committees.

Rep. Sue Myrick, North Carolina Republican, cited an internal January 2007 memo in which the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) discussed placing Muslim interns on Capitol Hill to "focus on influencing congressmen responsible for policy that directly impacts the American Muslim community."

CAIR said it had a particular interest in influencing the judiciary, intelligence and homeland security committees.. . Mrs. Myrick and Republican Reps. John Shadegg of Arizona, Paul Broun of Georgia and Trent Franks of Arizona called Wednesday for an investigation by the House sergeant-at-arms into whether CAIR was successful in planting congressional interns.

"If an organization that is connected to or supports terrorists is running influence operations or planting spies in key national security-related congressional offices, I think this needs to be made known," Mr. Broun said.

CAIR is a non-profit organization of American citizens who are Muslim and their "mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding." They stand accused of plotting to influence members of Congress and trying to help interns obtain positions in Congress in order to advance their political agenda. That's consistent with what virtually every political advocacy group in the nation does; it's normally called activism and democracy. But because, in this case, it's a group of Muslims who are doing this, these House Republicans are depicting it as some sort of nefarious espionage plot against the U.S. that demands a criminal investigation.

What is it about the First Amendment, that our Republican friends don't understand?? What part didn't they believe when their leader, George W. Bush said that we're not at war with Islam? What is WRONG with these people?

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    "If an organization that is connected to or supports terrorists is running influence operations or planting spies in key national security-related congressional offices, I think this needs to be made known," Mr. Broun said.
    Hmmm, it would seem that's the part that's concerning. So what's the problem? How are they violating their first amendment rights? THIS is violating our first amendment rights and it was done by Democrats, not Republicans:

Dems undermine free speech in hate crimes ploy

This is the White House attacking our first amendment rights:

White House wants to know when somebody is wrong on the Internet

This is the highest office in the land attacking a free press:

White House communications chief whines about Fox News, media for nine minutes

Investigating a group with terrorist ties placing interns in Congress is not a violation of the first amendment nor is it un-American. In fact, I would expect it - Congress would be remiss NOT to investigate.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Investigating a group with terrorist ties placing interns in Congress is not a violation of the first amendment nor is it un-American. In fact, I would expect it - Congress would be remiss NOT to investigate.
    Hello Steve:

You showed me ALL those links.. But, you DIDN'T show me the one where CAIR has terrorist ties. That, would, of course, BE the important one... Maybe you didn't, because you CAN'T.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:12 AM

How many links do you want ?
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    how many links do you want ?
    Hello tom:

Leave the ones from the limp dude and the beckster. Forget the speculation from your ordinary wingers like the Wolverine. Ain't interested in rumor or innuendo, so that leaves FOX out of it.

Give me EVIDENCE if you got it. Links to the Justice Department Investigation would be nice. We DO put terrorist's organizations OUT OF BUSINESS, don't we? Certainly, these congressional dufus's can't be the FIRST to discover CAIR.

So, if you got stuff like that, send it. You know, REAL stuff. If you ain't got evidence - hit the road.

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Hello Steve:

You showed me ALL those links.. But, you DIDN'T show me the one where CAIR has terrorist ties. That, would, of course, BE the important one... Maybe you didn't, because you CAN'T.
    And you didn't tell me how it violated the first amendment and how it was un-American... THAT would be the important part.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:59 AM
    And you didn't tell me how it violated the first amendment and how it was un-American...THAT would be the important part.
    Hello again, Steve:

We don't investigate religions for being a religion. That's about as UN American as it gets. People ARE FREE to practice their religion in this country WITHOUT fear of being investigated. Isn't that one of the cornerstones of our nation? I think it IS.

More importantly, I think it lays bare, the right wing's crusade against Islam. I EVEN think the Muslims noticed. I think it pisses them off - kind of like Gitmo pisses them off. Nope, you ain't doing US any good...

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

We don't investigate religions for being a religion. That's about as UN American as it gets. People ARE FREE to practice their religion in this country WITHOUT fear of being investigated. Isn't that one of the cornerstones of our nation? I think it IS.
    OK, and where is there any clue that CAIR is being investigated for "for being a religion?" Where is their any clue that they are infringing on their right to practice their religion? You can't show me because there is none, and whoever said we could practice religion without fear of being investigated for suspicious activity? Or are we just not supposed to investigate suspicious activity any more?

You're going to have to dig a lot deeper than that because you've got nothing so far.

More importantly, I think it lays bare, the right wing's crusade against Islam. I EVEN think the Muslims noticed. I think it pisses them off - kind of like Gitmo pisses them off. Nope, you ain't doing US any good...
    What crusade against Islam? You're really imagining a lot of stuff here today, ex. Been smokin' a little early?
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 08:27 AM
    OK, and where is there any clue that CAIR is being investigated for "for being a religion?"
    Hello again, Steve:

I used my powers of deduction... They stand accused of plotting to influence members of Congress and trying to help interns obtain positions in Congress in order to advance their political agenda. That's consistent with what virtually every political advocacy group in the nation does; it's normally called activism and democracy. But because, they're doing it WHILE BEING MUSLIM, it causes these House Republicans to depict this activity as some sort of nefarious espionage plot against the U.S. that demands a criminal investigation.

Given the above, I deducted, that if ANY other religious group did what CAIR did, and THEY aren't investigated, I can only conclude that the call for THIS investigation is based on their religion.

You not so much, huh?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 08:29 AM

You are aware of course they were named unindicted co-conspirators in the Holy-Land Foundation case. The Holy Land Foundation was named a terrorist front group . The case landed 5 members of the group in jail on 108 charges that they funneled and laundered more than $12 million to Hamas .Former Holy Land CEO Shukri Abu Baker was sentenced to 65 years .
    Even the schmuckster Sen.Shumer recognizes CAIR's ties to terrorist groups .Nihad Awad a founder of the organization openly supports Hamas.

April of this year the FBI cut off all it's work with CAIR . Their reason ? They explained it in a letter to Senator Kyle
    evidence was introduced that demonstrated a relationship among CAIR, individual CAIR founders (including its current President Emeritus and its Executive Director) and the Palestine Committee. Evidence was also introduced that demonstrated a relationship between the Palestine Committee and HAMAS, which was designated as a terrorist organization in 1995. In light of that evidence the FBI has suspended all formal contacts between CAIR and the FBI.
    The FBI's decision to suspend formal contacts was not intended to reflect a wholesale judgment of the organization and its entire membership. Nevertheless, until we can resolve whether there continues to be a connection between CAIR or its executives and HAMAS, the FBI does not view CAIR as an appropriate liaison partner.
    Both Schumer and Kyle praised the FBI in it's decision.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 16, 2009, 09:40 AM

Here you go, excon. Here's the terrorist ties evidence you were looking for.

http://www.investigativeproject.org/...e_docs/423.pdf

Page 5.

Or do you think that the US District Court is a right-wing front group?

So... do you believe that if a group with terrorist ties is sending in interns to spy on Congress, that group should be investigated?

Nah... that would be unAmerican.

>chuckle<

Game, set and match.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 10:12 AM
    I used my powers of deduction...
    That's what they did to Rush.

They stand accused of plotting to influence members of Congress and trying to help interns obtain positions in Congress in order to advance their political agenda. That's consistent with what virtually every political advocacy group in the nation does; it's normally called activism and democracy. But because, they're doing it WHILE BEING MUSLIM, it causes these House Republicans to depict this activity as some sort of nefarious espionage plot against the U.S. that demands a criminal investigation.
    It has NOTHING to do with them being Muslim, it has to do with terrorist ties and tom and Elliot have shown that.

Given the above, I deducted, that if ANY other religious group did what CAIR did, and THEY aren't investigated, I can only conclude that the call for THIS investigation is based on their religion.
    I would deduce that any other religious group known or suspected of having terrorist ties would be investigated also. You're really floundering here, ex. I would normally deduce that you would come loaded with a little better ammunition.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Hello:

A group of House Republicans is calling for an investigation into whether a leading American Muslim advocacy group tried to "spy" on congressional offices by placing interns on key security committees.

Rep. Sue Myrick, North Carolina Republican, cited an internal January 2007 memo in which the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) discussed placing Muslim interns on Capitol Hill to "focus on influencing congressmen responsible for policy that directly impacts the American Muslim community."

CAIR said it had a particular interest in influencing the judiciary, intelligence and homeland security committees. . . . Mrs. Myrick and Republican Reps. John Shadegg of Arizona, Paul Broun of Georgia and Trent Franks of Arizona called Wednesday for an investigation by the House sergeant-at-arms into whether CAIR was successful in planting congressional interns.

CAIR is a non-profit organization of American citizens who are Muslim and their "mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding." They stand accused of plotting to influence members of Congress and trying to help interns obtain positions in Congress in order to advance their political agenda. That's consistent with what virtually every political advocacy group in the nation does; it's normally called activism and democracy. But because, in this case, it's a group of Muslims who are doing this, these House Republicans are depicting it as some sort of nefarious espionage plot against the U.S. that demands a criminal investigation.

What is it about the First Amendment, that our Republican friends don't understand??? What part didn't they believe when their leader, George W. Bush said that we're not at war with Islam? What is WRONG with these people?

excon
    Perhaps it is what I have said for years, ex, Muslims represent a fifth column in western society. We all know we are at war with Islam ex, it is another cold war
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 16, 2009, 04:26 PM

It looks to me that Ex doesn't understand Islam, ar any other religion, except Atheism.

As such, he pretty much lumps them all together, and that is a huge mistake.

When the foundation of your religion is the avowed duty to bring the whole would under your religion, by force of arms if necessary, it only seems wise to question your motives.

By the way, the KKK claimed to have a religious basis. Would you be comfortable with them sending workers to House and Senate offices?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 19, 2009, 09:02 AM

BTW, Excon, if you believe that Muslims are the only ones "getting screwed" by the FBI or by Congressional Republicans let me ask you this question.

Why is Jonathan Pollard still in jail?

A Jewish guy convicted for spying on behalf of an ALLY has spent more time in jail than any other convicted spy has ever served for spying on behalf of the Soviet Union or any other non-allied or enemy country.

If you think that this espionage stuff is all about them being Muslims, then how do you explain Pollard?

They aren't targeting Muslims, excon. They're targeting SPIES, especially spies who are spying on behalf of terrorists and rogue regimes.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama Unamerican? Absolutely [ 26 Answers ]

It came to my attention that Barrack Obama is not a fan of our pledge of allegiance. And doesn't wear the American Flag Pin (Which ALL people in office have worn since 9-11-2001 to show unity and remembrance of all who died on that terrible day). This really speaks for itself. YouTube -...

West Wing [ 1 Answers ]

Who is the actress who played Nancy on the West Wing?

UnAmerican Idol ;) [ 12 Answers ]

Ok, have a hidden talent? Want to showcase it? Want to embarrass yourself by displaying your lack of talent? Well here's a place to do it. Post your artwork, poetry, prose, musical performance whatever you want. We'll all play Simon Cowell on it. <eg>

Left Wing/Right Wing Or How About A Drumstick? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been following some of the political threads with some interest... Just wondering where some of the regulars see themselves on the ol' political spectrum. Left Wing, Right Wing or planted firmly in the Center, I'd like to know where you see yourself fitting in and perhaps an anecdotal...

View more questions Search