Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkichline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 04:50 AM
    How to install Ceiling fan on exposed ridge beam
    I'm working on a home addition that will have an exposed ridge beam and I'd like to hang two ceiling fans from the beam. I haven't been able to find a suitable mounting method for my setup. I bought 1" deep boxes but I'm realizing now that they will not work. I need some advise here. Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 05:31 AM

Well, there is a 1/2" deep "pan cake" round box designed to be surface mounted. Have to drill the beam to hide the wiring. Should feed the switch in order to minimize the number of wires in the ceiling box.
    jkichline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Well, there is a 1/2" deep "pan cake" round box designed to be surface mounted. Have to drill the beam to hide the wiring. Should feed the switch in order to minimize the number of wires in the ceiling box.
    Just measured my box. It is 1/2". I was remembering wrong on my 1st post. I was REALLY trying to avoid drilling through the beam. The beam is 5.5 X 18". I guess I could drill an "L" shaped hole towards the bottom of the beam and feed the wire in from the side and out the bottom.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:44 AM

Then there is always surface raceway like wiremold.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 01:27 PM

I was going to suggest using wiremold boxes. They mount on the surface and blend right in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan interior gable mounting at ridge [ 2 Answers ]

Sirs; I want to center a ceiling mounted fan in a vaulted room. This happens to be under the ridge where the two slopes meet at the peak of the ceiling. At present there is no box but I can get electricity to it from above. How is this accomplished. TNX,

Porch roof ridge beam dripping sap [ 4 Answers ]

Folks, About 4 years ago our house went through a renovation project which included a new screened-in porch. The porch is post and beam construction, of cedar wood. We noticed this spring, for the first time ever, sap drippings on the table and chairs on the porch. The sap is dripping from...

Basement ceiling exposed duct, pipes and wires [ 1 Answers ]

My basement ceiling to floor measue 72" from floor to drywalled ceiling. My problem the prior owners attached ductwork and wires over the drywall. A suspended ceiling will not work takes up too much height. Walls and floor concrete. Any suggestions would be helpful. If I could see some...

How do I raise a beam to install? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 beams that I constructed out of 3x10s (three thick and spanning 23 feet). I am using these to support my springy floor. The house is a 1970's backsplit and the space they are in is a 4 foot high crawl space with a cement floor. How do I raise these up to place the support posts under?...

View more questions Search