Ask
    lucksheme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 03:24 AM
    Is there any one who knows about u-visa
    Help me
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 05:52 AM

Hi luck, a U-Visa is a non-immigrant visa for victims of certain crimes, including domestic violence. It is explained here:

http://www.ncadv.org/unsorted/U-Visa...tions_264.html

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 06:00 AM

It's not that simplistic.

"The Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000 created two new nonimmigrant visas for noncitizen victims of crimes, the T-visa and the U-visa. Both visas are designed to provide immigration status to noncitizens that are assisting or are willing to assist authorities investigating crimes.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued the U visa regulation on September 17, 2007. This law becomes effective 30 days after its approval. This law is effective beginning October 17, 2007

The U visa is designed for noncitizen crime victims who (1) have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse from criminal activity; (2) have information regarding the criminal activity; (3) assist government officials in the investigation or prosecution of such criminal activity; and (4) the criminal activity violated US law or occurred in the United States (including Indian country and military installations) or the territories and possession of the United States.

Your abuser does not need to be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, and you do not have to have been married to the abuser to be eligible for a U visa. You are not required to be physically present in the US to qualify for a U visa. You can apply from abroad as long as the criminal activity violated US law or occurred in US territories.

USCIS can only grant U visa status to 10,000 noncitizens in each fiscal year. This number does not include persons eligible for U visa derivatives status – e.g. spouses, children or parents of applicants.

Persons granted U visa status can remain in the United States for a period of up to 4 years, with possible extensions in certain cases (ask a lawyer if you are in need of an extension). After three years, U visa holders may apply for lawful permanent residence.
    The U visa holders automatically qualify for employment authorization."

WomensLaw.org | U- Visa Laws and Procedures
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Oct 16, 2009, 09:07 AM

Regs just came out, contact Catholic Charities, they are filing and getting visa status approved.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DCcityboy View Post
    regs just came out, contact Catholic Charities, they are filing and getting visa status approved.

I just called Catholic Charities in my area to see where I can find the presumably new regs. They have no idea what I'm talking about.

Do you have a specific site or reference?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lucksheme View Post
    help me
    I need full details... if you feel uncomfortable to disclose your story here, contact me. See my profile page.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed. [ 1 Answers ]

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed

Cancellation of family visa to stamp work visa for KSA for my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ALL, I want to know the procedure to cancel my wife's visa who is dependent on my visa in KSA. I am presently working in KSA and my wife is in India and has received a job offer from KSA. My wife has re entry visa stamped which is valid until August this year. Kindly advice. Thanks, ...

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

View more questions Search