Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Oct 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Why are Skin Lightening Products so Expensive?
    I'm looking at my credit card transactions and blown away already, just 3 Makari items and I am $300 poorer instantly. And these products may only last me 2-3 weeks, I am going to be treating my whole body.

When I finally get my starter order, I plan to use the Caviar Cream mostly. Which is about $65 shipped. For 1 ounce.

That might only last me a couple weeks And the other products are no cheaper. Melederm is $100, Fair and Flawless is $180. Even if I find something that works satisfactorily, how much is that going to add up to per year. The economy is bad and I have school to pay for too :(

What do you guys find both works AND is low priced?

Anything? And why are they so expensive anyway? How can the ingredients in 1 ounce of cream really cost $60? I can buy a whole a whole new wardrobe for schoo instead of a couple jars of makari. :rolleyes:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 09:12 PM

I have to say, if you're considering paying this much money to change your appearance, well, it's not a cost that needs to be spent.

It's the same as spending money on a boob job, nose job or tummy tuck. It's not a needed expense, it's a personal expense.

If you can't afford it then you don't do it, it's really that simple.
    Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Oct 15, 2009, 09:19 PM

Altenweg, thanks, I see... that 1 oz bottle of $60 cream or that $180 lightening kit from FF is a luxury expenditure that why it's so expensive.

Anyway, guys, does high-end necessarily mean its more effective? Makari seems definitely high-end! :)
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Oct 15, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Boy View Post
    Altenweg, thanks, I see... that 1 oz bottle of $60 cream or that $180 lightening kit from FF is a luxury expenditure that why it's so expensive.

Anyway, guys, does high-end necessarily mean its more effective? Makari seems definitely high-end!! :)
    Not necessarily!
    Some are high priced products such as ones from the department stores but have very little of the active ingredients. High price pays for the pretty package, the magazine advertisements and the super model spoke person endorsing it.

Makari definitely has that high end look, there products are packaged real nice.
    itsamor Posts: 196, Reputation: 12

Oct 16, 2009, 12:01 AM

The world may never know.
    dessaml Posts: 210, Reputation: 9

Oct 16, 2009, 01:15 AM
    I just have to shake my head when I see those numbers... The most money I ever spent on my skin was 80.00 for Obagi... and I was an ignorant fool to do so... I can buy 4% HQ online for 15.00 but I didn't know better.

Personally, I pretty much refuse to spend over 40.00 on any lightening products, it's just not necessary, same yourself a lot of trouble and money and compound your own damn HQ
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Makari could cut back big time if they didn't have such high-end looking jars. The jars can't make you lighter, nor can the advertisements and celebrities. That's why I have been searching for much lower cost products that lightens very well.
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Oct 16, 2009, 11:19 PM

Are you using any peels or Retin-a.. something to really exfoliate & prepare the skin for the skin (& yes wallet)-lightening products?

I honestly don't think the F&F and Othine would be working nearly as well if I didn't use the glycolic peels regularly. Peeling was a key part of the spa's treatment too.

*peeling
    *hq/kojic or bleaching agent of choice
    *sunscreen

It's synergistic. This system is definitely working on my tanned parts & melasma.. I'm not sure if it's the answer for all-over lightening.

I just ordered 50% glycolic for my outer arms, back of hands, tops of feet that are resistant & laughing at the 35%. The 35% is working fine for my face and neck. My skin feels great and I'm sure it allowed the lighteners to sink in, bringing my face and neck closer to the color of my décolletage & torso.

I've quit the hq & sepi on my face for now so that my arms and hands can catch up.

Flash

No flash

I'm so thankful that I haven't exposed my legs to sun in a while so I'll only have to tackle my knees (with TCA 20%) and tops of feet. Hopefully the 50% Gly will break up the perma-tan crud and let the hq & sepi do their thing.

They're very big on HQ and Retin-A regimens over on SkinCareTalk.com's lightening forum. I'm going to try it on my darker areas to see if it speeds the process. I'm too nervous to use it on my face also as I mentioned before, my face is light enough for now.

Keep in mind that we didn't get scorched overnight, so patience is key. Over there(SCT) they're rec'ing 6 months(?) of HQ & RA for lightening. I've only been at this since the beginning of August and I do see a difference.

Again make sure you're doing something to peel away the old cells and get the most from your pricey (okay maybe not Othine and Nadinola) potions. HTH!

Oct 16, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Makari could cut back big time if they didn't have such high-end looking jars. The jars can't make you lighter, nor can the advertisements and celebrities. That's why I have been searching for much lower cost products that lightens very well.
    Truth! LMAO!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 11:31 PM

I am a white woman but I live in a community of black people.
    I know all my black friends do not use these products.
    People,I am shocked to see that you are not happy with you and will spend all this money to make yourself lighter!
    C'mon
    Love yourself.
    Are you nothing but the color of your skin?
    C'mon,I thought we were past that.
    Please stop!
    Honor yourself for who you are !

Oct 17, 2009, 12:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I am a white woman but I live in a community of black people.
    I know all my black friends do not use these products.
    People,I am shocked to see that you are not happy with you and will spend all this money to make yourself lighter!!
    C'mon
    Love yourself.
    Are you nothing but the color of your skin?
    C'mon,I thought we were past that.
    Please stop!!
    Honor yourself for who you are !
    I do think there's a difference between fading & peeling away melasma and sun damage to get an even-toned complexion and lightening one's base color simply for the brighter shade and imagined status it will supposedly bring.

I've been thinking and feeling a million things since joining this board and reading some of the posts but I don't want to judge... I get the history of racism and need for self-acceptance.

OTOH, as a reformed tanner, I simply thought I that looked better darker. Part me wants to think for some people that this is an inverse of what I went through for years with darker=sexier.

If only there were safe (and easily reversible) ways to tan, bleach, or heck... dye one's self green... then it would be all fine by me. The possible health risks make me nervous most of all.

I'm assuming the lighteners might have a revelation and stop at some point just like many tanners wake-up and stop. It took me until 40 yrs old.:o
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 12:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EggoMini View Post
    I do think there's a difference between fading & peeling away melasma and sun damage to get an eventoned complexion and lightening one's base color simply for the brighter shade and imagined status it will supposedly bring.

I've been thinking and feeling a million things since joining this board and reading some of the posts but I don't want to judge... I get the history of racism and need for self-acceptance.

OTOH, as a reformed tanner, I simply thought I that looked better darker. Part me wants to think for some people that this is an inverse of what I went through for years with darker=sexier.

If there were safe ways to tan, bleach, or heck... dye one's self green... then fine by me. The possible health risks make me nervous most of all.

I'm assuming the lighteners might have a revelation and stop at some point just like many tanners wake-up and stop. It took me until 40 yrs old.:o
    We need to accept who we are are what we look like! Bottom line ,we are who we are.
    My best friend is black as black and beautiful.
    She is beautiful.inside and out.

Lets stop these young girls thinking they have to be caramel or white to be pretty.It's insane.
    WHY?
    I don't get why you want to be light.
    Explain it to me please.
    Embrace your color ,please embrace who you are and your beautiful color is who you are!

Oct 17, 2009, 12:48 AM
    We need to accept who we are are what we look like! Bottom line ,we are who we are.

Lets stop these young girls thinking they have to be caramel or white to be pretty.It's insane.
    WHY?
    Explain it to me please.
    Embrace your color ,please embrace who you are and your beautiful color is who you are!
    I am embracing my color. I've stopped tanning. I've never wanted to be light, white or even my own medium neither-here-nor-there shade of brown. Hence the laying out to get darker.

I've stopped tanning for several reasons:

It aggravates my melasma (since having children)

Unless I was able to lay out nude or nearly nude, I was uneven. (chocolate head w/ caramel boobs etc.)

Finally and most deeply I've stopped for peace and self-acceptance. I've worn my hair natural for years and I've grown to love it. My next challenge was to accept my G-d given coloring.

I'm not sure that you're reading my posts closely enough.:)

I do understand what you're saying and I agree. I find a naturally dark-skinned, even-toned complexion one of the more beautiful sights in life.

Oct 17, 2009, 01:06 AM

WHY?
    Explain it to me please.

Melasma

Melasma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hydroquinone Creams: PharmacyMix Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, Anthelios Sunscreens, La Roche Posay, Hydroquinone Cream, Lakota, Thorne Research, Green Cream, Retinol Cream, MaMa Lotion, Anti Aging Skin Care

Uneveness/Sun damage

For years, I took more sun to disguise these problems (and because I liked being much darker than my natural shade!) but the best solution is actually in removing the damage and using sunblock.

Again, I understand what you're saying Artlady.

Maybe it is irresponsible of me to post here and perhaps I should simply stick to the melasma and anti-aging forums?:confused:
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EggoMini View Post
    Melasma

Melasma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hydroquinone Creams: PharmacyMix Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, Anthelios Sunscreens, La Roche Posay, Hydroquinone Cream, Lakota, Thorne Research, Green Cream, Retinol Cream, MaMa Lotion, Anti Aging Skin Care

Uneveness/Sun damage

For years, I took more sun to disguise these problems (and because I liked being much darker than my natural shade!) but the best solution is actually in removing the damage and using sunblock.

Again, I understand what you're saying Artlady.

Maybe it is irresponsible of me to post here and perhaps I should simply stick to the melasma and anti-aging forums?:confused:
    All I am saying is love you and be who you are NATURALLY! That is all!
    I abhor the thought of someone trying to change their skin color,It hurts me to think someone has a no sense of who they are because of the color of their skin.
    I have fought for
    People to have human rights for many years and it pains me to think my work was in vain.
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 01:29 AM

A beautiful person is someone who is good and kind and real and real is the bottom line!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 01:48 AM

WHY?
    Explain it to me please.
    Hi, artlady!

Hey, my skin is white (and red!), freckled, oily as well as dry, wrinkled in certain areas, and also there's the possibility that I have a touch of skin cancer.

Of course, you know me in a number of other ways now...

Do you care what my skin looks like? Could I possibly be one of your best friends? You're already a good friend of mine, at least online, and I don't even know what you look like!

By the way, I'm going to be the piano soloist at the next concert for a local concert band of about 60 music professionals. It's just like the local symphony, except it's a concert band.

I plan on keeping my now, long beard and moustache as well as long hair for the concert!

My point here is, it ain't so much what you look like that counts, but your attitude and what you can do that really counts!

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 01:51 AM

Hahaha, I don't know ANYONE who doesn't have an uneven tan...
    I have white boobs and butt (so white they could literally blind you on a sunny day lol) but the rest of my body (that isn't covered by a bikini top and shorts) is a bit darker... it's not as bad as that guy in the first pic but I do have definite lines...

The only person who sees my tan lines is my boyfriend... I don't go walking around town naked so who cares?
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 02:03 AM

I get that my black friends are uneven and I have a friend who has vitiligo and that really sucks.
    I see on this board ALL the time about people who are working so hard to achieve something that is illusive and it makes me sad.
    I am going to have my girl next door come over and talk to people.
    She is very light and beautiful and her sisters are way dark so there is issues there.
    I am white but I understand to a point!
    I will never get not being YOU!
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, artlady!

Hey, my skin is white (and red!), freckled, oily as well as dry, wrinkled in certain areas, and also there's the possibility that I have a touch of skin cancer.

Of course, you know me in a number of other ways now...

Do you care what my skin looks like? Could I possibly be one of your best friends? You're already a good friend of mine, at least online, and I don't even know what you look like!

By the way, I'm going to be the piano soloist at the next concert for a local concert band of about 60 music professionals. It's just like the local symphony, except it's a concert band.

I plan on keeping my now, long beard and moustache as well as long hair for the concert!

My point here is, it ain't so much what you look like that counts, but your attitude and what you can do that really counts!

Thanks!
    Hay Bud!
    My youngest son (22) has always had freckles and a bit of red hair.
    He never liked it.As a kid. Freckles.

I helped him to understand at an early age that what he looked like was cool! He came to accept it.

There was no person in this world who looked like him!

I put makeup on him one day when he was 10 and we looked in the mirror and I asked him what he saw and he said not me and that was the end of him bumming out about freckles. :)

I was surprised,and happy that he got it.

Not too surprised because he was and is a cool kid but he stopped feeling bad about his freckles.

I will remember that day forever:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best skin lightening products? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I need some help. My prom is approximately two and a half month away (counting from today May 04th 2009 lol) and I would like to whiten my skin 2-3 shades lighter than it is now for my prom. (im an african-american and my skin is the same colour as Chris Brown's...

Skin lightening products [ 4 Answers ]

I need advice on natural skin lightening products like plants and herbs that I can use for my skin. I am a black african woman.

View more questions Search