Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heidicombs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Can't move switch out of Pilot position
    We are trying to light the pilot light on the gas furnace. The switch won't move out of the "Pilot" position. If the pilot lights and stays lit - is there a danger in leaving it on "Pilot"?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 03:02 PM
    If it was working OK, I would say yes. Are you sure it is coming up all the way? I had that problem some times with my old water heater. When I let go, it didn't spring all the way, and I couldn't turn it to on.

If is was stuck part way down and the pilot light went out, it could leave the gas still flowing. Kaboom. If it won't come all the way up and turn on, the safest thing is to turn it off. Use the valve in the gas line if you have to.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Lift the knob then turn it, Just like labman said. Sometimes they stick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Pilot help [ 2 Answers ]

ON my bryant furnace when the pilot goes to light it comes on for about 3 seconds then it cuts off and on over and over and over burners will not light and the systems makes a clicking noise.Please help

AC Flexible ducts position [ 1 Answers ]

I have flexible AC ducts in my attic that just lay across the floor of the attic. Should these ducts actually be suspended in the air or does it really matter?

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search