Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starla14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Privacy violation?
    I was diagnosed with the flu and reported this to my supervisor. On the same day, an email was sent to all agency employees naming me and disclosing my diagnosis. It specifically said "Starla (my last name) was diagnosed with Swine Flu." It went on to suggest that all employees stay home from work if they are sick, etc. It was humiliating and I felt it violated my privacy. I completely understand informing people that a co-worker had a contagious illness but it was completely unethical - in my opinion - to "call me out" in a blatant and hurtful way. I felt attacked, as if I were being accused of some terrorist act (bringing this illness into their environment). My 2 children and I are all very sick and instead of being supported, I am being attacked. Do I have any recourse to complain about this email? What should I do? Thanks for any advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:53 PM

I would contact an Attorney - this is totally out of line. I am just not sure you were harmed and that is for an Attorney to determine.

Were you actually diagnosed with the swine flu and did you tell HR (or your Supervisor) the diagnosis?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Privacy violation [ 9 Answers ]

I am a New Jersey resident for the past 12yrs. I received Disability since 2005 for bipolar disorder. I assigned my ticket under the Ticket to Work Program within weeks of hearing about the program. I had hoped to take an Excel course which I thought would assist me in reentering the workplace. I...

Privacy Act Violation [ 4 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you can tell me if I have an account at a credit union, and no one is on the account but me, should balance information or any information be given to anyone but myself? I'm a employee of the credit union, and my spouse has an account there, but I'm not on his account. He...

Privacy Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

I work in an industry that is computer-related. After accruing PTO, I took a few days off for a colposcopy, and thus, partial removal of my cervix. I did not tell my employer - I did not feel the need to. My new manager (a busybody WOMAN) took it upon herself to inform EVERYBODY in the company of...

Violation of privacy act [ 3 Answers ]

I was a defendant in a small claims suit. The plaintiff was suing myself and our daughter for an unpaid loan that she had signed a contract with him when she was 19. He produced a letter from a used car dealer that stated that I had sold them a car and the amount that I received. Does this...

View more questions Search