Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honey5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 15, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Home euity loan
    if I can't pay my home equity loan, what happens, does it turn into a lean against my house or can they actually forclose on my house
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
    A home equity loan is actually a second mortgage on your home. It became a lien on your house the minute you signed the papers. If you don't make the payments they can foreclose.

Oct 16, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    A home equity loan is actually a second mortgage on your home. It became a lien on your house the minute you signed the papers. If you don't make the payments they can foreclose.
    So even though the loan is only 17000 and my house is worth 130,000 the house would go under foreclosure? The house is a Fannie May or Fha home, does that make a difference, I am paying it though a bit behind, just wanting to know and I really appreciate you helping me. Thank you
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Sorry but yes, it would still go to foreclosure.

Oct 19, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Sorry but yes, it would still go to foreclosure.
    Is there such a thing as a line of credit home equity loan? I think that is the one I have. Thank you so much for you r help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 05:05 PM

Home equity line of credit is a version of a second mortgage but you do not take the money all up front. It's a bit like a big check book where the bank gives you a line of credit, usually at a much better rate than your original mortgage. I can't tell you to stiff other creditors but mortgage and HELOC are two types of loans you need to keep up with.
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Yes, the home equity line of credit is also a second mortgage. You get approved for a maximum amount and you sign a second mortgage for that amount. Even if you don't take the full amount that they approved there is still a second mortgage. If you fall behind on any of the payments they can declare that you are in default and then start foreclosure proceedings.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 06:30 PM

I'll chime in with my 2 cents as well... the consequences are the same for defaulting on anything when your home is used for collateral. I'm sure you don't want to lose your home over $17,000. Plus, since it's such a major loan, you'll ruin your chances of getting another one any time soon.

Oct 20, 2009, 03:52 PM

Is bankruptsy out of the question for this also, sorry if I misspelled

Oct 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by honey5 View Post
    is bankruptsy out of the question for this also, sorry if i mispelled
    Thank you everybody for all your help. Very much appreciated
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 04:38 PM
    It's not out of the question but there are a lot of options you can explore before you take a step like that. You can look into the possibility of getting a loan modification to lower your payments or refinancing your first mortgage to pay off the second.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

View more questions Search