Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questionground Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Home ground rods
    Please help I have been trying to find out how many grounding rods are required to be installed on the outside of a home?
    Ideally I would like to find the electric codes that specify how many grounding rods are required and if more than one; how far are they apart are they placed? :confused::confused:
    I would be grateful for any help.:)

Thank you,
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 03:28 PM

One. Per, then 5/8 dia 8 foot long. Preferably below the water table. Local codes could dictate otherwise.

If more than 1, then no less than 6' apart.

In addition, any subpanels on dettached structures require a ground rod

See NEC 250.50 You can read it for free online by following the sticky under "Electrical & Lighting" in the link on the top left of this post.

Furthermore, there are requirements for bonding the water and possibly gas piping systems.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by questionground View Post
    Please help I have been trying to find out how many grounding rods are required to be installed on the outside of a home?
    NONE are "required". A grounding electrode is required, but nothing states this must be a rod type electrode.
    In new homes where rebar exists in the footings the rebar MUST be used as a concrete encased electrode. If this is the case NO other electrodes are required.

If you do use a ground rod, and you cannot prove that one electrode has a resistance of 25 ohms or less then ONE more supplemental electrode is required. Thing is, the tester to perform this test is over $1000 so most electrician simply sink two and are done with it.
    KISS is right on, of two are used they must be 6' apart.
    seanmkie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 06:30 PM

Two ground rods 8' down in the earth 6' apart.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 07:25 PM

Most rods are 10' and no matter the length they should reach the water table. Call your local building inspector to see what he will look for since he would do an inspection

Oct 16, 2009, 04:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Most rods are 10' and no matter the length they should reach the water table. Call your local building inspector to see what he will look for since he would do an inspection
    Actually "most" ground rods are 8' long, and how would someone know if they reached the water table? And what would it matter?

I think most people have a very incorrect view as to what ground rods actually do.
    Hint: They have nothing to do with tripping breakers or short circuits.

Oct 16, 2009, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmkie View Post
    two ground rods 8' down in the earth 6' apart.
    Yes, IF you install them this is the requirement, which has already been stated.
    deon crowder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 05:30 PM

How do I wire the ground rod to the main

Nov 21, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deon crowder View Post
    how do i wire the ground rod to the main
    You run a wire from the ground rod to the main panel and connect it.

If you notice, I just answered your question with the same level of detail as your question. ;)
    Can you maybe describe a little better what it is you are doing? WHY are you adding a ground rod? Is this a new service? Is there a water bond in place?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground rods type, clips and installation technique [ 1 Answers ]

I went to the electrical section of our local chain home center and noticed that they have ground rods in two sizes, and two different material. There was one that had light gray, dull silver color, (I assume it's galvanized metal) and it's diameter looked like was 5/8 inch. The other was...

Old home with no ground wires [ 15 Answers ]

I'm changing out some 2 prong receptacles in an old home that has no ground wire (ie, the electrical cables have a hot and neutral, no ground wire). I'd like to install new 3 prong receptacles. Is this OK? What are the implications of doing this? Thanks!

Installing ground rods [ 8 Answers ]

I want to ground my satellite dish and my phone line. (both installed by so called professionals and not properly grounded) Both enter the house 75 feet or so from where the main electrical enters the house. I want to drive grounding rods at each of the satellite and phone locations. I believe...

Home Ground Circuits [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks speedball for your answer. That cleared it up quite a bit. Enlight of this: I don't really know, but I two have seen them, and I think I'll take a stab at it. Living in an older home, I have seen many of these two prong outlets get worn out to the point where they don't hold a plug...

Ground Rods [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to install 2 ground Rods 5/8 by 8ft. Can anyone give me any hints on how to install these without damaging the rods. Also I heard that general rule of thumb is 8 foot down and 8 foot apart can anyone shed some light on these locations. Any help will be a great help. Thanks again, ...

View more questions Search