Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    areader12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Custody issue.
    I have custody of my niece's youngest three children. All of which are under the age of 3. She has 7 kids but doesn't have custody of any of them. While she was pregnant with the last 2 she was on drugs and constantly talked of getting an abortion because she did not want the kids. Once she had the children they were taken from her by the state of TN, which is where I live, and given to me. Wednesday I got a court order. She was taking me to court to get the kids back. I had to appear in court today but I was 25 min. late because I could not find the building. The judge said since he had nothing to go on he would award custody back to my niece. These children will not be taken care of and will probably end up hurt. Is there anything I can do to keep her from getting these children? Help QUICK!

Well she showed up with the sheriff tonight to get the kids but she said she only wanted the two year old and not the one year old twins. So the sheriff called for approval and my niece left with the two year old. What can I do now to ensure that she doesn't do this to me again?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2006, 01:50 PM
    I will say this not being mean, if you were to be there on time, you leave early enough to be there a couple of hours early for something so important as this.

You need to get an attorney and file for an appeal of that decisioin ( and perhaps an emergancy restraining order to prevent her from getting them)

Once she has a copy of the judges ruling, you have to give her the children or you will be interfering with custody. Judges almost always rule in favor of the person that shows up, if the other one is not there. They don't really care why you don't show up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2006, 01:57 PM
    In addition to what Chuck said, if the children were originally taken from her for drug use etc, then the local DCF agency was involved. They may not have been aware of the petition for custody. You should make them aware and enlist their aid in appealing the decision and getting an injunction against the judge's order. Do this IMMEDIATELY, before she shows up to claim the kids.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Go back to court and file your own motion to get custody of the remaining children. That's no guarantee that she'll "never do it to you again" but it'll make it much harder for her to do it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Issue [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I found out I was pregnant on February 16th and I am wondering who the father of my baby is. My last period was January 17th. I had sex with the man I hope is the father on both the night of January 24th and the morning of January 25th both unprotected. I also happened to have sex with another...

Sign-in issue [ 2 Answers ]

Not sure if this would go here, so patience is appreciated. My sister-in-law is having problems signing in to messengers and the like. I looked up possible resolutions and found one, but I have been unable to get it going. The resolution was to re-register a series of .dll files, which I did,...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: A schematic question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't...

Is this a issue ? [ 7 Answers ]

PC : XP Pro Service pack 2 --------------------------- Start/Run <typed>MSCONFIG Looked in: Win.Ini Programs It shows: ;msconfig Luke.exe=C:\storage\calarkconnect iso\clarkconnect-2.1iso

View more questions Search