Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2003, 12:24 PM
    Rupert Sheldrake
    What do you know about Rupert Sheldrake, www.sheldrake.org ? I am reading his Dogs that Know When Their Owners are Coming Home, Library of Congress SF412.5.S48. I am very skeptical about this, but am trying to keep an open mind. If nothing else, how bad can it be to read about a bunch of dogs and people that love each other? Have other people tried to duplicate his work and what have their results been? I am not interested in more cold fusion. Still there are times when I am left with no explanation of why a dog did something. His theory is that they read our minds. If so, why is timing so vital in rewards and punishment?

I found a reference to his work in the highly respected Monks of New Skete second edition of How to be Your Dog's Best Friend. That book was a Fathers' Day gift.
    dutchwolf Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
    Rupert Sheldrake
    Hi,
    Dogs observe very good, even better then we people do. Already on a human face a dog is able to "read" a hundred different expressions. Even people can't read that with each other. Unfortunitly some think , or create the "new" theory, that certain animals are mindreaders etc. etc.
    Unfortunately books are sold and profit is made...
    Just stick to the scientificly proven behavior facts (including time for reaction on correction, praising etc.) and you'll be much better off and much more honest to your dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2003, 07:14 PM
    Rupert Sheldrake
    Sheldrake's book is very persuasive, and it is hard to explain many things dogs do, but I have concluded reading minds is not the explanation. In general I am very skeptical of all the paranormal. If they could read my mind, it should be easier to train them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search