Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeancy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
    About unborn child in divorce
    I 'm in savannah ,GA .My husband wants to divorce me now while I 'm 4 month pregnant.He is in the army and this is belongs to "Military divorce". I called military Divorce Assistance and they told me that there is no way he can divorce me until the baby was born. It is the law that made for protecting unborn child.

He can only file divorce after our baby was born .Anyway, he is not going to get chance to use divorce before baby birth so he can avoid paying child support. Not even legal separation since there is no such thing as legal separation in GA.

Hope this information can help some mother-to-be like me.

Wish the best for the mothers and their babies.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:08 AM

Even if you were divorced before the baby was born it wouldn't get him out of support assuming the baby is his.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 02:56 PM

Divorce does not negate the fact he still has to pay child support for the child once it is born. You can file for divorce while pregnant, you just can't get divorced until baby is born. Even if it was in a civilian court you could still file for a divorce but it would not be final until baby is born. It does protect the unborn child that way.
    jeancy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 04:32 AM

We went to the JAG military leagal office yesterday.like I said , we can't get divorce until the child birth. We can be separated if we choose to ,but no such thing as leagal separation .He needs to pay child support and also has right as a father. The judge won't siding with anybody, it all about the best for the child.
    This marriage is a nightmare, even after divorce I still have to deale with him, if he doesn't want to pay child support, he said he will fight for the custody make me the one pay child support and take the baby away from me.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeancy View Post
    We went to the JAG military leagal office yesterday.like I said , we can't get divorce until the child birth. we can be seperated if we choose to ,but no such thing as leagal seperation .He needs to pay child support and also has right as a father. the judge won't siding with anybody, it all about the best for the child.
    This marriage is a nightmare, even after divorce I still have to deale with him, if he doesn't want to pay child support, he said he will fight for the custody make me the one pay child support and take the baby away from me.
    They all say that. They almost never do. At worst you split time with the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can unborn child can support from divorce [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is getting out of the army by end of Oct. --honorble discharge.We are getting divorce ,to the Jag office on Oct.20th. I 'm 18 weeks pregnant .Can I get child support for our unborn child from him . If I can't or no such law can make him pay it , should I just refuse divorce and file...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

My wife and I are getting a divorce, do I have rights to my unborn child [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are talking about getting a divorce , she said she wants to go back to Australia with my unborn son. I told her she can't do that, that I have rights to him too. She keeps saying I have no rights to him since he is still in her body. Is this true, can I stop her, do I have rights. I...

Unborn child and a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I was with child. The problem is I am going to be going through a divorce. I know he does not want the baby, I do. He will give me full custody with no fight. The thing is I would like him to (I am sure he would love this also) sign over prental rights of the child. The question is...

Divorce and unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband recently filed for divorce because he can not deal with the legal issues my first husband is putting us through. WE have a child that is due in December but he wants to give up his rights so I won't be in his life, but the catch is that he wants me to sign a consent decree stating that...

View more questions Search