Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twlofgren Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Romex / pipe
    Anybody plus and minus of romex versus pipe for a basement application
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 3, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Romex (through drilled holes in studs and joises) is cheaper and is easily hidden if you intend to finish the basement.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 11:15 AM
    For most residential DIY projects, I would go romex. It is much cheaper and easier. If I went conduit, I would go vinyl or rigid. I see too much thin wall where it has pulled out of the fitting. For some applications, nothing else has the mechanical properties of rigid.

Here is a project where I chose to use rigid. I also replaced the plastic disconnect with a metal one. Everything has held up good for 4 years.

twlofgren Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 11:50 AM
    What an awesome website, thank you guys. I'm glad I sumbled upon it.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
    I agree, romex through holes in joists when perpendicular, and stapled to the sides when parallel to the joists. I might add that when coming down a wall exposed, romex must be protected. I think the easiest way to do this is put the romex in a length of EMT with a bushing at the top.

If EMT is installed correctly, including proper support, it won't "pull out of the fittings." I caught my 80 pound nephew doing chin-ups on EMT that is run in my basement and it didn't pull out of its fittings.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
    I like EMT when it is exposed/in unfinished areas better because it is much cleaner looking, especially if you require more than three conductors. I forget how many #14s you can have running through one 1/2" EMT, but imagine that many runs of romex on your ceiling. It also makes it easier if you have to change, add, or update wiring. A couple years ago working on a project I learned how to bend EMT and it was very much worth it.

Nov 3, 2006, 12:30 PM
    I tend to agree, but for the average DIY homeowner, it can take a while to get the hang of installing conduit. It's the kind of thing that by the time you're getting good at it, you're done. I remember the first time I tried to bend a box offset, I must have went through 20' of pipe before I got it right. A while back I spent a summer helping an electrician on a major project where I literally ran miles of EMT, and I can now bend a perfect box offset in about 10 seconds with my eyes closed.

BTW, 12-#14 or 9-#12 in 1/2" EMT (THHN). >3 current carrying conductors must be derated though.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 01:48 PM
    I personally don't see any benefit to installing pipe, I assume EMT, in a basement instead of Romex. As mentioned by the previous answers, EMT can be a challenge to learn and install properly, and have it look neat.

Definitely not a job a DIY'er should tackle without plenty of practice.

Like bhanye mentions, Romex will be much easier and less costly to install, plus be ready to finish the basement if desired.

Thou there are fittings made, such as pre-bent box offsets, when done, really can look like a cheesy job, with many added screw connections that can be loose.

Just one correction thou, derating does not need to begin until there are 4 or more current carrying conductors. To expand further, these include all separate neutrals, and does not need to include any shared neutrals on a 120/240 volt single phase circuit, and does not need to include the equipment ground.

I lost count how many basements I have done and none were in any kind of pipe. Only maybe in a workshop or garage, where the flexibility of adding circuits or looks was important.

Nov 3, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Just one correction thou, derating does not need to begin until there are 4 or more current carrying conductors.
    Not that it really matters, but aren't ">3" and "4 or more" the same thing?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Oops sorry really did not see the greater than sign, reading too fast again.Yes sure is the same thing.
    been40 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Derating sounds confusing. I thought I read lot's of posting on this site saying,
    You can have 2 romex wires in one stud or joist hole. But reading messages on
    This post, tells me that the two romex wires with 2 wire + one ground each,
    (assuming connected to different breakers), would carry 2 HOTs and 2 neutral.
    That's 4 carrying currents.

To avoid derating, if I understand this correctly, only one romex wire can be going
    Through a hole in a stud or joist, IF all the romex wires are going to a separate breaker.
    And sounds like the exception is when the neutral is common. <--- what does that
    Mean, i.e. common in a sense of being in the main breaker box from the
    Same neutral wire coming from the city into the main box, or
    Common in a way that, the wires is spliced in switch boxes, which can share a common?
    But there is something wrong here. I must a have misunderstood these postings. Since
    In our main breaker box, each hole and clips on the main panel, has bundled two romex
    Together, each going out from a separate breaker. So are all the neutrals in the main
    Considered as common through the house?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Bottom line is for cables of #14, #12 or #10, you can have up to FOUR cables before you even have to think about derating, even "3-wire" home runs.

Under NINE CCC's you don't have to worry about derating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stapling romex wire [ 11 Answers ]

How many romex wires (12/2, 14/2, 12/3, 14/3) can you staple by code? Can you staple 3 12/2 wires using one staple? Can you staple 3 14/2 wires using one staple. Thanks

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Romex through cold air return? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it allowable to pull romex from attic (second floor ceiling light) to the basement through the cold air return?

Is Romex allowed over concrete block? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a detached building with a block foundation. On the inside, the top of the blocks is about 4" above the concrete floor. The walls are aligned with the outside of the 8" wide block therefore there is a 4" wide shelf (top of the blocks) that runs along the perimeter of the building. I used...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search