Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamyeyez Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 06:00 AM
    How to get an acting career started
    :)hey guys I'm 19 and I am a girl who wants to know of how to get an acting career started the right way... :):):)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Hi, dreamyeyez!

Have you had any experience acting at all? If you have had experience, how much have had and where did you do the acting, please?

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2009, 03:57 PM

No I haven't had any experience, that's why I want to know the best way and places to get started
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
    Hi again, dreamyeyez!

The best places to get started would be community theaters where you might land a role in a chorus or in a non-speaking role. Those types of places typically don't pay anything, but at least you would be getting some experience.

Taking voice and dance lessons can also help to be your "ticket" into getting into that type of career.

Are you presently in school, or plan to attend an institution like a college or university, please?

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2009, 03:43 PM

I am currently in college
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Does the college put on any kind of theater productions? Also, are there courses offered that have to do with theater, please?

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2009, 08:46 AM

Yes there are courses and I'm going to sign up for one when my new term starts... do you think I should join a talent agency
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Hi again, dreamyeyez!

I think, that what you need to do is to take courses that will train you to be able to act and also to sing and dance. If you cover those three areas of training, then you'll have a good foundation upon which to build a course for your life that might lead you into a career in acting.

As far as involving a talent agent - it's too soon to even think about getting one. You need to get training, experience and prove yourself to be worthy of being considered for roles in acting for shows that might pay and might not pay.

The more that you put yourself out there, auditioning for shows in various ways and participating in them and getting the training that you need, the better that you'll look for producers someday for potential roles in theaters of various kinds.

There are many, many actors, actresses, musicians and artists of various kinds across the U.S. that aren't represented by an agent of any kind. Yet, they still find the employment. Once they've gained enough experience, exposure and notable recognition by peers and communities that they might be someone "worthy of note", that is when it's the best time to seek out and pay for the aid of a talent agent.

In the meantime, while dreaming of being some sort of "star" someday who really "makes it" on the stage anywhere, you hone your skills at other things that everyone needs to be able to do to be successful in life in the general sense.

Being an actor, actress, musician or artist of any sort is a very hard path to follow. Some do it part-time and have other things that they do to make a living, have a spouse and family, etc. Other might do it full-time... But, doing it full-time can take so much effort as to make it very difficult to have a spouse, family and social life of any sort.

I'll write more about the benefits and pitfalls of being an artist of any kind, once I've found what I've already expounded upon on this site concerning that.

Dream your dreams, try to live your dreams, but still remain in the reality that what you dream is a dream and that you still might need to do things to realize your dream and do other things to help you to function in reality while trying to achieve accomplishing the dreams that you have. - Me.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Acting [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me. At the moment I'm studying computers but for the last 4-5 months I have been really interested in becoming an actor. Where I live there isn't many acting classes, I don't no what to do. How do I get into the business? I have no experience in...

Acting! [ 4 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I am very, very interested in becoming involved in community theatre here in chicago. I currently live in chicago and have just completed a year's worth of acting classes at a local theatre school. Simply, I want to start performing. I want to really experience the...

Cat acting Very Odd! HELP [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a male (leo) cat I have had since a kitten, he’s always been a little odd, he is quarter Burmese, but lately he has been running around the house like a mad thing, jumping up on furniture and suddenly freaking and dashing about like a crazed animal. How ever when I pick him up he calms...

Singing or Acting career wanted [ 4 Answers ]

I REALLY want to get into singing or acting... Preferably singing... My friends and I think I have a GREAT voice... I just want to get it out there... How do I get a singing career with no experience? (Besides singing at home... )

Acting Career [ 3 Answers ]

I need an answer in how can I be an actress with no experience and I don´t have time for classes.

View more questions Search