Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birda Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
    Crack in wall
    Hi, I have a 40 year old modular home and I seem to have reacurring cracks forming underneath them. What is going on and how can I fix this problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 07:33 PM

What type of foundation or basement was this home set on?

Oct 15, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    What type of foundation or basement was this home set on?
    What I meant to say was I have a 40 year old modular home set on a cynder block foundation. The cracks I'm asking about are reacurring underneath my windows on the inside. I don't have drywall, it's all panelling. How can I fix this from happening over and over again?

Oct 15, 2009, 08:02 PM

You have cracks because your concrete blocks are settling and might not be properly installed, settling should have stooped long ago. Some one needs to get under the home and inspect the blocks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 08:24 PM

After 40 years you should not have settling. Look for water problems. Down spouts that are not pipe, or no splash blocks to carry water away from the house. Look at grading for low spots where water can soak in to the ground and enable the foundation to sink.

Reading you other post. You really shouldn't post twice about the same subject. You said that the joints in the paneling have been filled in and painted? Are the cracks in the joints and how large are they?
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 17, 2009, 04:36 PM
    They didn't have modular homes 40 years ago. Is it a mobile home?

Oct 18, 2009, 06:34 PM

Actually they have been around that long. Read this companies story about homes they built over 50 years ago. Northstar Homes Inc - Myths About Modular Homes

Oct 22, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    They didn't have modular homes 40 years ago. Is it a mobile home?
    NO it is a modular home, and they have been around that long.

Oct 22, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    After 40 years you should not have settling. Look for water problems. Down spouts that are not pipe, or no splash blocks to carry water away from the house. Look at grading for low spots where water can soak in to the ground and enable the foundation to sink.

Reading you other post. You really shouldn't post twice about the same subject. You said that the joints in the paneling have been filled in and painted? Are the cracks in the joints and how large are they?
    I sent out another post because I didn't clarify that I was talking about my panelling cracking underneath my windows. The first post I sent was talking about reacurring cracks but not saying exactly where the cracks were.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement wall crack [ 2 Answers ]

We have a crack in the basement wall at the gas meter location. And water is getting through to the laundry room. I called a contractor he priced the repairs for 1200$ just for the one crack and said epoxy is no longer used. Can you let me know what needs to be done and if 1200$ is the right...

Crack in basement wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have a crack in my basement wall and water is visible leaking through from the outside. I want to know the proper procedure to fix this myself. What type of sealant do you recommend. I do believe you have to v out the crack before you plug it. Is this correct.

Wallpaper gone bad (looks like there's a crack in the wall) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, yesterday I started painting my walls white (which I wish I hadn't now) basically I started painting over a wall paper which has been painted on several times in the past, so the wall paper became "blotchy" leaving me to peel of the wall paper on one side of the wall (including some of the...

Fixing crack on inside wall [ 6 Answers ]

There is a 2 feet long paint-cracking on the wall along stairs down to basement. Should I just paint again to cover the crack? Or chang board? Or some approach better?

Crack in wall sheetrock [ 5 Answers ]

We have a conventional foundation in a house built in 2001. There is now a 12-18 inch crack in the sheetrock ( very small, not deep) that goes from the top of a window sill at a 90 degree angle toward the ceiling. The outside of the house shows no cracks. Should I be concerned? Thanks a bunch for...

View more questions Search