Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyshooter6 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 05:42 PM
    So unsure of myself
    I can't seem stop second guessing myself. I notice that avoid saying too much in conversations because I have such a fear of saying something stupid. I hate it. I feel like I come off as having a flat personality. I care so much about what others think of me and I don't want to care at all. I also can't help but take criticism personally. I don't know what to do.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 09:23 PM
    Hi, babyshooter6!

In your day-to-day activities, are you around people a lot and interacting with them on a regular basis, please?

Thanks!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Why do you think kids always say stupid things? Because they haven't learnt yet. As they talk more and as they get older, they learn to screen out certain things and put more emphasis on other things.

This might sound contradicting, but in order to gain more confidence, you need to talk more. But in order to talk more, you need more confidence.

But I prefer the first approach: "talk more to gain confidence". You can't tell if what you said is stupid until you actually say it. If it turns out stupid, then don't say it again. If it turns out to be good, then you'll know that you can repeat it. With time, you will get better and better because you'll have more experience with conversations, that's how you build confidence.

But if you don't talk enough, you won't be able to learn and you'll be stuck with your confidence level. You just need to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Let loose.

But you can also take baby-steps. If you're unsure of whether you should say something, then confied in someone close to you, friends or relatives, to see what they think before you blurt it out. Or you can always ask us, we don't know you personally, so we can't judge you. We're just here to help!
    babyshooter6 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, babyshooter6!

In your day-to-day activities, are you around people a lot and interacting with them on a regular basis, please?

Thanks!
    If school counts, then yes, kind of.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Hi again, babyshooter6!

Yes, school counts! It's also a training ground for how a person might act in any number of types of situations outside of the school setting and beyond.

What kind of classes are you taking, please?

Also, what did you think of the ideas that I wish presented to you?

Thanks!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 12:43 AM

Hey,builing up your confidence takes time.

Setting yourself personal goals and achieving them,really boosts your confidence..

Do you have a hobbie,or an outside interest?

Talking about something that you have an interest in,with other people with similar interests will give you lots to talk about.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 05:38 PM
    I can understand the insecurity you are feeling.

A really good way to not feel like this is to put the focus on other people. Currently, your focus is on yourself - what did I say? Did I sound stupid? What are they thinking of me? Etc etc.

Try to shift your focus so that it is on the other person. Be interested in them rather than thinking about yourself in any conversations. What do THEY think? Cultivate a genuine interest in other people and listen to what they say. Ask questions when they talk - most people love to talk about themselves and their jobs, families, hobbies, opinions.

Asking questions will help to connect you with people and hopefully lessen your feelings of insecurity and inferiority. Once you feel more confident, you may feel less sensitive to criticism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsure on what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

I am nineteen, and I want to go to college really bad!! The problem is that I have a child so I have to work a full time job. I could do online courses, but I am unsure as to how to get all of that started. If any one can provide any information I would really appreciate it. Also information...

Unsure what to do ? [ 2 Answers ]

I really like this guy he's my best friend but he has a girlfriend but all does is complain how much they fight I am always his shoulder I like him and I hate seeing him hurt I am confused on what to do I have known him forever :confused:

My ex, I am unsure what to do about her. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi guys. Im going to put this in point form to save you all from A lot of reading lol. By the way she just turned 18, and I just turned 21 if that's any help for an answer. . Was with my ex for a year and a half. . On and off we were, her deciding to end it every couple of months. ....

Unsure [ 39 Answers ]

This is regarding the end of my 4 year relationship. My ex and I, have now been broken up for a few months now. We broke up out of the blue, he said he needed a break and left my house crying. I never heard from him until a week later, and he said he no longer loved me, and has not for 2 years. He...

View more questions Search