Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BELRICH Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Water hammer flushing toilet?
    When AND ONLY when toilet is flushed there is a horrendous loud vibrating/hammering noise.This can last for quite some time and the only way we have found to stop it, is to turn on both cold water taps in the bathroom.

HELP--- SOLUTION PLEASE.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2006, 05:19 PM
    What you hear is the washer vibrating sgainst the ballcock seat. The reason it stops when you turn the water on is that you have lowered the pressure by opening a valve. You can go at this two ways. (1) you can lower the pressure by turning the angle stop located below the tank until the noise stops or, (2) you can shut off the stop and remove the three screws on top and cup your hand over the top and just crack the stop enough to flush out any trash that may be in there. After you do that pull the washer out of its holder and flip it over in its holder and reinstall the top and float. One of the two should do the trick. If not click on back and we will go to plan B. Good luck TOM

Nov 5, 2006, 03:35 AM
    Hia Tom. Option 2 did the trick yesterday.Great.BUT today the noise problem has returned albeit its no where as bad as before.]Should I repeat the process?? Or something else. PLUS there is now a small leak coming from the joint--L shaped--directly adjoing the tank.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 06:05 AM
    Yes, Pull and reseat the washer. Press it down tight in the stem. If it still vibrates then you have a faulty ball cock and it should be replaced. Please explain the leak you have. Is it the supply under the tank? Regards, Tom

Nov 5, 2006, 07:29 AM
    The leak---light dripping,yes is coming from under the tank,where the water inlet pipe meets the tank at an L shaped joint.
    I ll try the washer again later THANKS VERY MUCH
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Snug up the nut connecting the supply to the ball cock and see if that doesn't stop the leak. Tom

Nov 13, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Hia Tom.Changed the diaphragm washer and hammering STOPPED.WONDERFUL.
    Tried snugging the nut but in doing so the ball cock inside moves about.Replaced washer in nut too BUT still got the leak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet not flushing properly [ 20 Answers ]

My toilet just started filling up and very slowly draning until most of the water's gone, but it's not flushing the waste down with it. I've tried 3 times now. The tank empties and refills, the bowl fills up almost to the point of overflow and then VERY slowly drains. No flushing is happening....

Toilet not flushing properly [ 4 Answers ]

Hello- We just bought a house, and we are having problems with our toilet flushing. When pushing the handle down, it begins the flushing process, but the second you let it go it stops. So we have to hold the handle down until the flushing part is over then we can let go & the toilet fills. ...

Noise when flushing toilet and when running water [ 1 Answers ]

I have humming noise (seems to be getting louder) when I flush the toilet and when I run water into the bath and into the kitchen sink. I read a reply to a similar problem about looking at the regulator.. What is a regulator? Many thanks!

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

Toilet not flushing [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet has stopped flushing. The water is in the cistern and if I push the ball down the water fills up. It feels like there s no pressure when I push the handle. I have no plumbing knowledge at all so could you tel me what is causing this and how I can fix it without calling a plumber if...

View more questions Search