Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackhammered Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Sylnoid wiring problems
    I have a WhiteMTD 14.5 hp hydro riding lawn mower, tried to replace the sylnoid and am having no luck getting all the wires hooked up in the same manner they came off. I was looking for some type of wiring help to and from battery on to the sylnoid.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Hi,
    You should have two large posts to connect to the wire to the battery and starter. It makes no difference which goes where; but the smaller (probably red) wire must hook to the same side as the battery or you have no power in your harness to trigger the solenoid when you turn the key. Trigger wire (often blue or yellow) hooks to the small post. If there happen to be a black wire, it is fastened by one of the bolts that attach the solenoid to the frame, and is simply a discrete ground rather than depending on the frame.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 14, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    You should have two large posts to connect to the wire to the battery and starter. It makes no difference which goes where; but the smaller (probably red) wire must hook to the same side as the battery or you have no power in your harness to trigger the solenoid when you turn the key. Trigger wire (often blue or yellow) hooks to the small post. If there happen to be a black wire, it is fastened by one of the bolts that attach the solenoid to the frame, and is simply a discrete ground rather than depending on the frame.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thank you clarke. Let me tell you what wires I have to work with; 1 red from the battery, 1red to one side of the solenoid one small green 1 large black from battery ground 1 small orange 1 large red to starter,I think that's all, any help would do

Oct 14, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Hi,
    Looked up a wiring harness based on the info given. It is a 2000 model.
    It appears you large red and small red attach to one post of the solenoid. The starter wire hooks to the other post. The black and green wires attach to a bolt holding the solenoid on (ground). The orange wire is the trigger and attaches to the small post of the solenoid.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

Oct 15, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Dear clarke , thank you for your last information. I only have one more question for you is do I hook the black wire from the battery to the other side of the solenoid and all three red wires hook to the other side of the solenoid? Then that would leave me with one green wire that should be hooked to the bolt conecting the solenoid to the frame.

Oct 15, 2009, 05:26 AM

Hi,
    No the black and green wire should both be grounds (one for the harness and one for the starting circuit) and should be hooked to the frame. The battery and small red wire should be to one side of the solenoid and the starter motor to the other.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 15, 2009, 06:15 AM

Thanks Clarke, so what you are saying is that the large black ground wire coming from the battery hooks up with large red starter and the large red coming from the battery should be hooked up with small red to the other side of the solenoid and small green hooked to the frame, I only have 1 large black wire that comes from the battery.Sorry to be a pain, thanks for your patience.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Oct 15, 2009, 01:19 PM

What Clarke is saying is that the large black wire from the battery and the green wire should both go to one of the bolts that holds the solenoid to the body of the mower. Not on any of the posts on the solenoid.

The large red coming from the battery and the small red wire both go onto one of the large posts together. The other large post on the solenoid is where the wire that goes to the starter goes.

That leaves the orange wire that goes onto the small post on the solenoid.

Oct 16, 2009, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfocke View Post
    What Clarke is saying is that the large black wire from the battery and the green wire should both go to one of the bolts that holds the solenoid to the body of the mower. Not on any of the posts on the solenoid.

The large red coming from the battery and the small red wire both go onto one of the large posts together. The other large post on the solenoid is where the wire that goes to the starter goes.

That leaves the orange wire that goes onto the small post on the solenoid.
    Thank you both for all your help. I will give that a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Oct 16, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhammered View Post
    Thank you both for all your help. I will give that a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
    Thank you. I switched the small red wire to the other side and it fired up. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

If I wanted to stop humidification during a call for cooling using a step down trans to 24 and not the 24 hum terminals new furnaces have how is it done,using a relay ? With a board and also with a single speed fan on a fan limit switch also how would I wire the fan centre in? diagrams would be...

Wiring problems [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a Habor Breeze ceiling fan & light kit. The ceiling fan has 1 black, 1 white, 1 blue and a green wire. The ceiling wires have two black, and two white wires. These wires were hooked to the light fixture I took down. Which wires do I use to wire my new ceiling fan & light up?...

Wiring Problems. [ 4 Answers ]

I had an old General Electric Weatherington thermostat. I bought a new one yesterday and this is the old and new wire setup. OLD: O G Y R B W X2.

Wiring problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed recessed lighting in part of my home and it works just fine but when I tried to wire the last two the lights stay on when the swith is off. The last two have a black, white, ground and red where does the red get connected two why doesn't this work?:mad:

Wiring problems [ 3 Answers ]

I just swapped a 18 HP Briggs and stratton Motor over to another frame and the wireing harness will not match up. Should I take the ignition switch out and swap it over or does anybody have any suggestions.

View more questions Search