Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dx4530 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Scratched/damaged cd
    My cd is so scratched up that its basically damaged I need to know the best most effective software to recover my damaged cd?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 09:59 AM

It needs to be physically polished. FInd You should be able to find a place locally that can do it for you.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 10:18 AM

My son fixed a badly damaged CD using peanut butter.
    Rub it well into the scratch and then clean off with warm water.Dry with clean cloth.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 10:43 AM

Hi,
    There are actually four links there, xome with duplicated info. Guess I should have used a pair of linefeeds. Hold your cursor over the links and move it while watching the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen for the address (changes.)
    I try many different tools to see which I like best, and which works best. I think there are a number of tools on some of those links with some not being free, but having a free evaluation period. Should be about twenty tools in those four links.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    It needs to be physically polished....You should be able to find a place locally that can do it for you.
    Try the local library. Many will have a CD/DVD polishing machine that will remove the least amount of plastic needed to eliminate the scratch. A bribe may be needed, or ask to speak to the IT guy.

Other do-it-yourself options:
    • Fill scratches with vaseline or vehicular clearcoat repair pen and then lightly buff.
    • Fine grit sandpaper (600-2000, found at auto body or paint store), a small surface plate, water, and lots of elbow grease.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 09:05 PM

Scleros: Interesting. I would imagine that the Permatex plastic headlamp lens polishing system will work too. Does go to 2000 grit + liquid polish.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 09:10 PM

CD-check has worked for myself in past
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 09:38 PM

Hi,
    I am amazed that no one states the obvious. CDs have no protection on the printed side. DVDs are layered; CDs are not.
    No one has said the "toothpaste" solution yet. If you really think scratches on the "clear" side are the problem; a towel locked in the covers of a book and smeared with toothpaste at the spine is a fine polishing agent.
    My experience is the damage is on the other side.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    No one has said the "toothpaste" solution yet.
    I said toothpaste (as a greenie) on artlady's answer about peanut butter.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 17, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Scleros: Interesting.
    KISS: Very interesting. I wasn't aware of this product. Looks to be an affordable, readily available all-in-one kit applicable to many uses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scratched penis [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, through oral sex my boyfriends penis was scrached we weren't away until after intercourse he was only complaining that it hurt after but it was bleeding a far bit! He is not hiv pos but I'm worried something else can happen am I worrying for the right reason or not!

Scratched Vinyl Records [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a procedure or product that will remove scratches on vinyl phono records?

My son scratched a neighbors car. [ 2 Answers ]

My son spent the wknd at my sisters house. While playing with his cousins on their scooters, skateboards and whatnot, my son scratched the driver side door of a 2001 mercedes. The owner came to my sister and complained. How do I handle this. Does his insurance company get a hold of my insurance...

Scratched Freckle [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm a 17 year old female and had a question about a freckle. I have always had a normal looking freckle on my cheek About 3 years ago I tried scratching it thinking I could make it disappear. This was a big mistake, the freckle is now slightly raised and there is a scar around it. ...

Tree in Blizzard scratched side of my truck [ 8 Answers ]

Recently in a "blizzard" when I was driving home I couldn't see through the snow. Next thing I know, a tree is down in the middle of the road, and a thick branch was strong enough to scrape into the side of my S10 along the rear quarter panel, indenting it with a scratch about 3-4 feet long. Is...

View more questions Search