Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Inheritance tax
    When I was 9 my father passed away and left me a IRA inheritance. When I was 10 my mother who was my guardian at the time pulled all the money out of the IRA and spent it on herself. She however never paid the taxes. I am now 24 and being faced with a tax bill of over $23,000 from my inheritance that I never even got. Do I really owe this amount or is there a way to have it put in my mother's name? What legal action can I take?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Oct 14, 2009, 08:12 AM

What a terrible story!

This is really a legal question and I suggest you go to that forum. However, somebody is going to have to pay the tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 10:02 AM
    That IRS withdrawal happened almost 15 years ago. I am surprised the IRS is going back that far.

You can sue your mother for malfeasance on this issue In my opinion. You should probably also look at the role of the IRA custodian in this matter. An argument for failure in his fiduciary responsibilities by giving your mother the money could be made in a court of law. As Five Rings noted, these issues are LEGAL questions best posted in the LAW Forum.

On the tax side, you should contact the IRS and ask that the tax debt be forgiven, given the circumstances and the fact that you were a minor at the time of the IRA distribution. Perhaps the TaxPayer Advocate could help you.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Oct 14, 2009, 10:19 AM

Good answer ATE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance law [ 7 Answers ]

Can a personal representative for a probate will not pay out what is entitled to me. Thank you tamned_1995

Inheritance tax [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is set to receive some money from his father's estate. We are both in US but his father lived in, and was a citizen of, England. The estate was set up there and taxed accordingly. Hubby is executor and will need to send funds back to England for his niece and nephew. Will we need to...

Inheritance tax [ 2 Answers ]

I received 45,000 from a trust that was administered in the state of Michigan. Taxes were taken out of the trust before monies were distributed. Will I still have to pay inheritance tax in California for the remaining $45,00 I received?

Inheritance tax-do we pay? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi- my parents will be getting a sum of money from my dad's aunt in Scottsdale Arizona who passed away last year. They are unsure of the amount- but it should be quite a bit- possibly thousands of dollars. She lived in Arizona- we live in Illinois. My dad's tax guy said they will have to pay 34%...

Inheritance tax [ 9 Answers ]

If I inherit 60000pounds & give my 2 children 10000pounds each will they have to Pay any tax

View more questions Search