Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alionline83 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Monitor: NO Signal, When connected to MotherBoard slot
    Hi all,
    I am using P4, 2.8 Ghz, 40gb, 512 mb, MSI Turbo cache VGA card (PCI Slot).
    It has been working fine since a year and a half but yesterday when I plugged new monitor in with my PC, it said NO SIGNAL. I replaced the monitor with old one (which was previously working fine) it also said NO SIGNAL. Please note that I was connecting the monitor signal cable to the usual motherboard slot for Video. Later I tried with connecting the signal cable to the slot provided in VGA card, the monitor started working fine.
    Additionally, when I removed the VGA card, monitor started showing something but didn't fully load the Windows and was taking long long time so I had to shut it off.

I am writing this question from the same system but I am little confused. Why the usual motherboard slot for video is not working. I think there is something wrong in the PC that can cause harm in future. Please help me!

Muhammed Ali
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Nov 3, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Howdy:

No, that is normal..

When the video card was added, the on-board video is disabled thus, no signal gets through..

When you removed the add-on video card, the on-board video started working but in default mode.. You would need to upgrade the drivers for the video card to get clearer graphics and better screen resolution!

Just keep the add-on video card in as the on-board video uses system ram to operate!

Murray
    alionline83 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Thanks for the reply. That's what is disturbing me, my previous connection was with motherboard not with VGA card and it was working fine, why?
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Nov 3, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alionline83
    Thanks for the reply. Thats what is disturbing me, my previous connection was with motherboard not with VGA card and it was working fine, why?
    Because you had all the necessary drivers for the on-board video and your operating system installed and working..

When you installed the new card, those drivers were disabled..

Now, if you want to go back to your on-board card, you will need to re-load the specific drivers for that chipset and use those rather than the generic drivers provided by Microsoft!

Murray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No signal for monitor -- damaged motherboard? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, hopefully somebody out there can help me out: This is a little long but I want to give you all the info I can- My Dad has a computer that’s a few years old, about a month ago it stopped turning on so he went and bought a new power supply and installed it. Now it came on but wouldn’t...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

Laptop connected to an external monitor [ 1 Answers ]

I ruined the screen of my laptop a few weeks ago and have been surving off a cheap old dell monitor that I simply connected to my laptop. Today, I disconnected the two to move my laptop and when I reconnected them, the external monitor's screen no longer displayed the image from the laptop. I...

1 Ram slot on motherboard and it is empty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have a generic built computer. Recently in trying to upgrade it I discovered some things, this mother board has on board everything! Sound, enet, video, usb, and apparently RAM. I want to upgrade my RAM. In the system properties it...

View more questions Search