Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I think it will cast a shadow on the negotiations.
    Hello again, p:

Judy is right. YOU can't call them anymore... But, it won't negatively effect negotiations your lawyer will enter into with the insurance company. It's adversarial in the first place. Who cares who likes who?

The insurance company will settle because it will cost them less than it would to defend the suit. Personalities don't matter.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Judy:

I agree. HE can't call them anymore... But, I don't think it will negatively effect any negotiations his lawyer will enter into with the insurance company. It's adversarial in the first place. Who cares who likes who?

The insurance company will settle because it will cost them less than it would to defend the suit. Personalities don't matter.

excon

He doesn't have a Lawyer - he's doing this himself.

Agreed that personalities are not going to matter in the long run IF there is an Attorney involved.

Will the insurance company settle because it's less expensive than defending? I can't speak for California. I can speak for NY. Insurance companies are taking a stand. They have counsel on retainer. That counsel can either look out the window all day and read magazines OR work on cases. I've seen insurance companies take stances that I can't believe, particularly when I've done the investigation.

It's never about the injury. It's about the dollar amount.

If OP cannot prove lost wages he is not going to collect lost wages. No insurance company is going to simply "kick in" without proof.

Again - I can only speak for no fault and NY.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Hi Judy:

You're just toooooo fast for me... I changed it..

excon
    panther196 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 07:25 AM

In scc I would file separately for p&s & med bills but both would be heard at the same time. The at fault person is in her 70,s (husband also). They have had their ins co for many yrs. This was her first accident (mine also).
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by panther196 View Post
    In scc i would file seperately for p&s & med bills but both would be heard at the same time.
    Hello again, p:

At the risk of being redundant, you want to sue for $800?? And, that's only if you win. That ain't a given.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:30 AM
    In scc i would file seperately for p&s & med bills but both would be heard at the same time. The at fault person is in her 70,s (husband also). They have had their ins co for many yrs. This was her first accident (mine also).

You can only file once for each claim - and this is one claim, caused by one accident.

The woman's driving history and age, how long they've had their insurance, mean nothing to the Court.

You say it was admittedly their fault - nothing else matters.

Oct 14, 2009, 07:33 AM

I still deserve more then 3k for p&s. This accident has changed my life. I had nightmares after the accident cause a few seconds later & I would have hit the passenger side door & most likely severely injured or killed the husband. I was looking at him as we collided. Afterwards he told me he has a pacemaker. I just don't know what to do. I may just break off contact with the ins company for awhile & weight my options.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:36 AM
    I still deserve more then 3k for p&s. This accident has changed my life. I had nghtmares after the accident cause a few seconds later & i would of hit the passenger side door & most likely severly injured or killed the husband. I was looking at him as we collided. Afterwards he told me he has a pacemaker. I just dont know what to do. I may just break off contact with the ins company for awhile & weight my options.

Your options are: pursue this yourself. Retain an Attorney.

You have no other options.

What you do or do not deserve will be decided by the insurance company, Attorney and if all fails, the Court.

It's been my experience that the more you talk to the insurance company the more harm you do to your own case.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:47 AM
    I still deserve more then 3k for p&s..... I may just break off contact with the ins company for awhile & weight my options.
    Hello again, p:

Please READ what we say. Nobody here is saying you DON'T deserve more. In fact, everybody here is in agreement that you need a lawyer to sue for what the claim is REALLY worth.

If what you said is true, I don't know WHY you're still talking to the insurance company. You don't really thing they're going to offer more NOW, do you?? Look. You negotiated the best that you could. You got an offer. Take it or sue (but NOT in small claims court).

excon

Oct 14, 2009, 07:51 AM

Not very long ago in ca a neighbor of mine got a 20k settlement. Her attorney fees were $7,762.00, med bills were 9,138.00 & she got $3,100.00 for p&s.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 08:02 AM

That was your neighbor. That isn't/wasn't you. Unless the neighbor had EXACTLY the same accident, same injuries, same insurance, same lost wages this is meaningless where your accident is concerned.

I really think it's time to close this thread. If you want to play Attorney, then do so but it's not fair to other people who have legitimate questions and time is being spent here going around and around with this same issue.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Not very long ago in ca a neighbor of mine got a 20k settlement. Her attorney fees were $7,762.00, med bills were 9,138.00 & she got $3,100.00 for p&s.
    Hello again, p:

So?? Ain't got NOTHING to do with you.

Dude, I know it's early in California, but call up some lawyers... This is a SLAM DUNK for them. There has got to be some lawyer out there willing to make a few bucks.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, p:

So??? Ain't got NOTHING to do with you.

Dude, I know it's early in California, but call up some lawyers... This is a SLAM DUNK for them. There has got to be some lawyer out there willing to make a few bucks.

excon

Actually I think OP is a dude-ette.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 09:23 AM

And there are 1000's of case where there was no pain and suffering awarded also.

Thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Small Claim or Lawsuit Against Contractor? [ 6 Answers ]

I had a new asphalt driveway installed 4 months ago at a cost of $5500. The proposal guarantees the workmanship for 1 year. We recently noticed low spots and cratering over a substantial portion of the driveway, serious enough that my car rocks back and forth going up and down the driveway. I am...

Are parents responsible for small claims lawsuit against 18 year old child? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is being sued in small claims court in N.Y. The person that is suing her claims she damaged his car. Are the parents or the 18 year old daughter responsible for any judgment the plaintiff wins?

Do I have a Lawsuit claims? [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested and incarsarated in Dec of 2006 got bond on the 13th of Jan. Bin going to court for almost a year out on bond. I was arrested in Pa but live in Fl, so while court calls I had to go to Pa and I went to court a few days ago and the judge didn't even go in the 1st charge, I was told...

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I had a job I worked at that owes me money by not paying me the proper overtime I worked... I am wondering... in the state of Michigan... how long do I have to sue them in small claims court... one year? Two years? Thank you:cool:

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

View more questions Search