Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 12:19 AM
    Weight Loss Tips
    I need weight loss advice.

At 20, I was 120 pounds ((Where I was very happy)). Then I just started packing on the weight. There was no change in eating habits. At 23, I'm 160. I'm 5'3". My goal is 120-130. Can someone give me tips?

A few good ones I've received so far are:
    --Sit ups during breaks at work.
    --Drink 8 glasses of water per day.
    --Cut out soda.
    --Switch from White Chocolate Mocha's (365) every morning to Soy Latte (35).

Simply replying with "diet & exercise" doesn't answer my question and won't help me. I work two full-time jobs (so coffee is essential), therefore no time to work out. PLUS, the gym is expensive. Also, dieting is near impossible when your boyfriend is a Le Cordon Bleu Chef. He does his best to help me in my efforts to lose weight. I almost had to rip his arm off to switch to wheat pasta and when we did he loved it.

Also, does that colon cleanse or Acai stuff work? Or does it just make you poop ((I mean, defecate)) yourself?

Thanks you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 12:45 AM
    Hi, Momma!

Remember me? :eek:

I used to weigh close to 250 pounds. It took me a year-and-a-half to get down to my high school weight of 183 pounds. I did it by trying to not buy any food that was over four grams of fat per serving and keeping as active physically as I could by walking, riding my bicycle, and avoiding sugar and other sweets.

I do realize, that how a woman loses weight, can be very different than the way that it is for a man, though...

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 12:47 AM

4 grams of fat per serving, huh? Good one to add to the list, thank you.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
    It was also mainly Chinese types of meals that I would consume. But, there can be lots of variations with those that don't necessarily make them all the Chinese when you think of the variety of noodles and vegetables that can be used and the ways to prepare them.

Using rice of the various kinds is also something that I found to be essntial. Very filling and very little, if any fat content.

Unfortunately, less fat in food usually makes it not as tasty. However, certain liquid and dry seasonings can help with that problem.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 01:00 AM

Really? I heard that rice wasn't that great for you... I don't recall where I heard this, but I did hear it somewhere...
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 01:25 AM
    I've heard that every meal should include some rice. But, that was from a person who was of Japanese descent. There are certain types of rice that are better, nutritionally than others, though.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 01:33 AM

Ah, OK. Good Good.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 01:33 AM

Fish and chicken are good low fat alternatives as well,snacking on fruit and veg helps fill you up.

Load your plate with veg.

Carry a bottle of water in your bag.

Brown rice is good,and also a high fibre breakfast..

Smoothies are nice,if your craving something sweet.

Grill and oven bake when your cooking.

The exercise bit.

To burn calories you need to increase your heart rate, but some toning exercises will help.

For example, when your standing at the sink,do some leg lifts, also press ups, what I do is, lean my hands on the counter, elbows slightly bent,and in a standing position feet shoulder with apart, do press with your arms.

Also while waiting in line,clench your buttocks,every little helps..

Take the stairs when ever possibly.
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 01:43 AM

Thank you.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Hi, redhed35!

Very sound and excellent advice that you have there!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, redhed35!

Very sound and excellent advice that you have there!

Thanks!

Hello clough,I was once upon a time quite a large lady, and tipped the scales at 17 and a half stone,after the birth of my last child..

It takes a lot of work to get into shape, another thing I stopped was not becoming a garbage bag, I stopped eating all the leftovers,and used a small plate loaded with veg at dinner time.

I also stopped eating after six in the evening,going to bed about ten.

Changing your mind set,is the key to losing weight, eat to live not live to eat.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:20 AM
    Hi again, redhed35!

Yes, it's almost a matter of "mind over matter". I'm half joking about that!

What is "17 and a half stone", please?

You know of course, that we have different systems of weight over here.

It would be nice to know what the equivalents are!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:27 AM

by my rough calculation.. 17 stone = 238 pounds

I am now 10 stone =63.50 pounds..

and 5 foot 5 inches tall.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:58 AM
    Hi again, redhed35!

63.50 pounds? That's not weighing very much! Are you sure about the pounds comparisons to stones, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 03:08 AM

I found a calculator...

17 stone=238 lbs.
    10 stone=140lbs.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 03:10 AM
    Where did you find the calculator, Momma?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I found a calculator....

17 stone=238 lbs.
    10 stone=140lbs.
    Thank you... 63.50,weighs as much as a child! Doh.

Confused kilos and pounds in the calculation.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 14, 2009, 04:10 AM

A chef for a boyfriend? Your so lucky. Im sure he makes great meals for you. Instead of using the dinner plate, use a smaller one. Like a large bread plate. Now don't fill it twice, that would defeat the purpose. Wait for a while after eating before you decide if it was enough or not. I don't like to deprive myself so I just cut portions in half. You adjust to this after not to long.
    I also work quite a bit and drink lots of coffee. I drink it black, but I like it that way and it has no added cal.
    I do limit my fried foods and chocolate to once a month. (you know when that is)
    If your close enough to walk, why drive? You can save gasoline as well.
    prev. weight = 160lbs. Current weight = 140lbs. 5'1" female (a bit older tho)
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 10:34 AM

That's a great idea about the smaller plate, thank you.

I couldn't drive even if I did live close enough (I don't), cause I have to take clients to activities, appointments, etc.

I wish I was brave enough for black coffee, just can't do it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss tips? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently trying to lose weight. However, there are a million diets out there, and I am unsure as to which ones are most effective and which ones are pointless. I would like to see results, but at the same time I don't expect for it to all disappear in a day haha. I know that this will take...

Need weight loss tips and support [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old. 5'0 and 140 lbs. I would like to be 125 by the end of June so that gives me... 8 weeks. Is it possible to lose 15 lbs in 8 weeks? Is this a realistic goal? I currently have a personal trainer that I will be meeting with once a week and I plan to go to the gym an hour a day for 5...

Healthy but Effective weight Loss Tips? [ 8 Answers ]

Im Looking for Tips in losing weight and getting Toned With A Period of 5-9 Months I've Tried different Things But loose interest Im 16 and No this isn't a peer Pressure issue Or Trying too Look good For Anyone but Myself :) But I'm Not too active and want too be more healthy Does anyone Know...

Weight loss tips during the Holidays? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, and happy Holidays! Well, Since it is the holiday season, I dotn want to pork up,so portion cotnrol! But! I would like to lose 10 pounds. Now I am at a good body weight, I am average but I would just feel better knowing I got rid of an extra 10 pounds :)> Does anyone have some...

What are good quick weight loss tips [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone... OK, here's the thing. One of my best friends and I are throwing our birthday parties together on Apr.14th. I'm not fat nor am I skinny. I'm what I like to call thick but I have these "luv handles" that I want to get rid of asap. Can somebody, anybody please tell me a good healthy...

View more questions Search