Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
    How to ask for promotion
    HI there,

So my question is this: How do I tactfully ask for a management position at work? I'm a caregiver, and I want to be Program Supervisor for one of the ten houses in the agency. How do I go about asking for the next open position?

Thank you.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:01 AM

Well, Have you brought anything up in upper management or sent a resume or anything of the sort to them? Explain to them your experience and your valuableness.
    Vision Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 10:31 AM

No, why would I send a resume? They already have it, I already work there. They know my experience since that's why why they hired me...
    CorpAmerica101 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2009, 07:59 PM

Sometimes people get used to you in one position and simply don't think of you when an opening comes up. So mentioning your interest to the right people could be a good place to start.

Is there someone who has been a mentor to you? Someone who has been there longer and knows people in management? They may be able to give you advice on the best way to go about this in your organization.

Also, is there a place where positions are posted? Kind of a formal way to apply for a posted job?

Just some ideas. Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 08:04 PM

You want to present yourself to them. If there is a opening, they will be reviewing dozens of other resumes, perhaps you want to make yours nicer, better paper, nicer fonts even to make it look better.

You would want a cover letter telling them why you would be the best choice over others.

You go and talk to those in positions to either recommend or decide. Ask your supervisor if they would give you a remomendation on it
    Vision Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 12:40 AM

Thank you everyone. I interviewed for the position. I did not get it, they went with someone who'd been with the company longer. The interviewer said that I did great, and she is looking forward to seeing me interview for the next management position. The person who they hired for the spot isn't doing great, so who knows when the next interview will be.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Promotion without pay [ 8 Answers ]

I have been promoted and have been performing higher responsibilities for 4 years, for the past four years Performance Evaluation I got were excellent. There are 3 levels of pay range categories base on responsibilities and knowledge. Is there a LAW governs this PROMOTION WITHOUT PAY

She's Mad because of my promotion [ 7 Answers ]

So, my sister got into a business about 2 months before me, well, I worked hard and I'm ready to be promoted, well, the way it works is if you build a team with 3 people then you ar qualified to get promoted, its been about 5 months since she's been in the business and 3 for me, I already have my...

Promotion notce [ 2 Answers ]

How do I write officel notce that the employeee has been promoted for a certain position and he will be under assessment after 3 months

Asking for Promotion [ 2 Answers ]

I have worked in one position for ten years and I feel that I need to move on to the top. How can I write a convincing letter to my boss to get that?

Promotion vs merit [ 1 Answers ]

I had a job change in the last year and I was promoted to a team lead in my college. I was told the promotion would raise my salary by 5%. I was never told that the promotion would affect any kind of merit increase. When I was given my merit increase 4 months later I was told that because I was...

View more questions Search