Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Bunny laying on her back.
    I haven't asked a bunny question for a while so it's about time :p

Well as you know I have a rabbit named Dora... she's a dwarf lop.

Randomly she will just be sitting there and all of a sudden she will twist around and flip over onto her back or side...
    Kind of like how a dog goes to roll in something smelly but she will stay there.

Why? Or is there no answer for this other than I have a 'special' rabbit :p
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 11:36 PM
    I don't know a thing about rabbits, but your description of the behavior reminded me of how one of my former cats would act when it had fleas. Can rabbits scratch with their hind legs?
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 12:47 AM

Yup, they can... looks cute too :) I have checked her for fleas as she used to be an outside bunny (now inside) it's something she has always done... for about 2 years.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Perhaps it just plain feels good then. Nothing worse than a stuffy, uptight, prim and proper bunny that can't relax. ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 03:45 PM

Hi Shazzy.

You know the bunny binky, well, this is the bunny flop.

Bunnies aren't vocal animals, although they can vocalize very loudly when they're hurt or scared. Most times they tell you how they're feeling by their actions. Dora is telling you that she's very content.

This is normal, especially for happy, healthy, loved bunnies. Cotton is my flopper. I don't know why he's happier then the others but he is.

They usually jump around, binky, hop, binky and all of a sudden they'll just flop on the ground. It's almost scary because they stop their activity so suddenly, but it's just complete and utter bliss.

Dora's a happy bunny. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks Scleros and Alty :)

I was hoping that was the case, it's just very strange to see her do it!
    I have had bunnies that stretch their back legs out behind them when they lay down but never one that does a little flip on it's side.

Back when she lived at my parents house in her hutch my dad thought she was dead one day!
    She was not moving at all and it didn't look like she was breathing... he picked her up thinking the worst... still no movement. Then when he got her to chest height she 'woke up' scratched him and jumped down onto the ground :D
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
    It could be a form of self-hypnosis, self-preservation:

rabbit.org/faq/sections/handling

Like a opossum "playin' dead".
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks Scleros and Alty :)

I was hoping that was the case, it's just very strange to see her do it!
    I have had bunnies that stretch their back legs out behind them when they lay down but never one that does a little flip on it's side.

Back when she lived at my parents house in her hutch my dad thought she was dead one day!
    She was not moving at all and it didn't look like she was breathing... he picked her up thinking the worst... still no movement. Then when he got her to chest height she 'woke up' scratched him and jumped down onto the ground :D
    Cotton and Dora have to meet.

I often walk up to Cottons cage and say "hey, stop that! Pretending you're dead isn't funny!"

Really, you have a happy bunny. This is a good thing. :)
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Oct 15, 2009, 07:34 AM

My rabbit will do that too... When I let him out for his run, he'll run around and jump and twitch and then he'll hop over towards the dog and just kind of flop onto his side as if he was tired out.
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    My rabbit will do that too... When I let him out for his run, he'll run around and jump and twitch and then he'll hop over towards the dog and just kinda flop onto his side as if he was tired out.
    Yup, content and happy bunny.

That's a great thing to hear. :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Yup, content and happy bunny.

That's a great thing to hear. :)
    My wife does that from time to time. Whenever she wants to GET content and happy. For me, it's a great thing to SEE. Yup.
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    My wife does that from time to time. Whenever she wants to GET content and happy. For me, it's a great thing to SEE. Yup.
    LMAO! Do you secretly think that your wife is a bunny? Maybe of the playboy variety?

Oops... wrong thread. :o
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:06 PM
    LMAO! Do you secretly think that your wife is a bunny? Maybe of the playboy variety?

Oops....wrong thread. :o
    Well, she does eat a lot of salad, and is cuddly, and warm, and sweet(sometimes)... I just got a great idea, I'll play Elmer Fudd, put on the floppy hat, and "hunt" for her... "I'm going to get the wabbit".
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Well, she does eat a lot of salad, and is cuddly, and warm, and sweet(sometimes).... I just got a great idea, I'll play Elmer Fudd, put on the floppy hat, and "hunt" for her... "I'm going to get the wabbit".
    Back off bunny boy. Rabbits are friends, not food. ;)
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Back off bunny boy. Rabbits are friends, not food. ;)
    I was just role playing, I wasn't going to hurt the little bunny. Don't "jump" to conclusions. I wouldn't hurt one little "hare" on her head. I swear on my lucky rabbits foo... OOPS.
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 06:21 PM
    I was just role playing, I wasn't going to hurt the little bunny. Don't "jump" to conclusions. I wouldn't hurt one little "hare" on her head. I swear on my lucky rabbits foo .....OOPS.
    I'm getting a mental picture of your wife in a bunny costume. Not good. ;)

I'm also getting a mental picture of Ben slapping us silly for hijacking this thread. Also not good. :eek:

Wait, I sort of kind of moderate this forum. Maybe we're safe.

Nope, better not chance it. I don't need another bad mark on my rep. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What I need to do for my bunny? [ 35 Answers ]

I thought I would get better help and more replies if I posted here. What do you use for the bunnies to chew on to keep their teeth grinded down? Or am I better off having her taken to the vet. When can she be spayed? At what age anyway? Oh and Alty if you come back and read this, I was...

I want a bunny [ 10 Answers ]

I want a bunny I never told my mom I wanted a bunny yet I am scared of what she is going too say. I bet she is going to say you have too many animals I have 2 dogs 5 cats 2 ponies 6 chinkens 2 goats and one is going to have a baby next year:D 1 bird only 2 animals live in the house. I take care of...

What does BUNNY mean? [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Bunny, I do not know its meaning. Tell

My bunny again. [ 5 Answers ]

So well... My rabbit is pulling out a lot of fur, and making a nest with it, SHE IS NOT PREGNANT, as she hasn't been around a male for at least 4 months. Im not worried about the whole nest thing, its about how much hair she is taking out! Half her cage is complete hair! Also I don't know if I...

Outside bunny Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My rabbit lives in my garage, he seems very happy but I do have one problem. My garage is not heated, when it gets very cold I bring him in the house until the cold snap lets up a bit, the problem is I can not keep his water from freezing. Anybody have any ideas?

View more questions Search