Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 04:48 AM
    half equations
    write a half equation for the following redox reaction Ni + 2Ag+ - Ni2+ + 2Ag ? How do you do it ?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Nov 3, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

The half reactions for a chemical equation, as you may have guessed, represent two parts of the equation... the oxidation half and the reduction half.

During oxidation, electrons are lost.
    During reduction, electrons are gained.

One way to remember this is the acronym OILRIG
    it stands for Oxidation Is Loss - Reduction Is Gain and of course we are talking about electrons here

OK so let's look at the equation. We need to decide which of the reactants is being oxidized and which is being reduced. You will always have both.

It looks like we are starting with elemental Nickel and Silver ions.
    As products we have Nickel ions and elemental silver.

When you have elements in their neutral, uncombined state, they have an oxidation state of zero.

So Nickel goes from zero to a +2 that means it has to have lost 2 electrons. (Oxidation)
    Silver goes from +1 to a zero (reduction)

Ni --> NiČ+ + 2e-
    This show us that nickel is now a nickel ion and 2 electrons

2Ag+ + 2e- --> 2Ag
    This shows us that 2 silver ions each gained an electron to create 2 silver atoms.

This is a quick nutshell version of redox and half reactions. Basically we need to show what is happening with the electrons.
    lisa_89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sam69
    write a half equation for the following redox reaction Ni + 2Ag+ - Ni2+ + 2Ag ? how do you do it ?
    Ballence the metals then the electrons

2Ni --- Ni2 + 2e-
    2Ag + 2e- ---------- 2Ag

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Redox half-equations [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help with the equtions for a) oxidation of Fe2+ to Fe3+ b) reduction of MnO4- to Mn2+ and then explain how to combine the equations for the titration of the Mno4- solution with the Fe2+ Thanks in advance

My staffy 5 and half month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my staffy is 5 and half month old and has gone off her food she picks at it but doesn't eat a great amount, she not got runny p** or anything other then not eating she hasn't ate for four dayz now.

It's been half a year... [ 14 Answers ]

Just wanted to announce to all of you that this coming Friday Pete and I will have been together 6months and it is also Petes birthday on that day. Lots of celebrating to do! I am happier than I have ever been ;)

Am I Half Owner Or Not? [ 6 Answers ]

Recently my husband and I refinanced our home. I assumed that I was a joint/half owner, but when I tried using my SS # to access our mort. Account by phone I was told that I am ONLY on the note so I had to use his SS #. Meaning, so they said, that they could never go after me for payment. I...

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search